Quantum Leap style

roeh61

1) Leap into Rhaegar Targaryen a few years before the Rebellion. Your father has had a good reign but is getting demented in his old age. Abusing your mother and alienating key supporters like Tywin Lannister. among other things. His obsession with fire is also getting a bit disturbing. Particularly the way he looks at still living people and starts discussing their funeral pyres.

Voice your concerns to the members of the council and impress them with the idea that leaving this mental decay go unchecked is inviting danger to the realm. More importantly plant suspicions over what your father has in mind for them. Having them willing to save their own hides is a sure way to gain you support from the Varys-types.

Once you get enough of them willing to entertain the idea of having the king "retired" for health reasons, start recruiting others for your noble cause. Lord Tywin is brooding at Casterly Rock. Start with him and let him know than a young and inexperienced king will need a strong and experienced hand. Find suitable rewards for other ambitious Lords. Make sure that the Kingsguard is filled with people loyal to you and unwilling to sit by and witness rapes and murders by their own king. Rationalise that they would have to protect said king even from himself. Make certain that you have enough support to stage that bloodless coup d'état you dream about BEFORE attempting it.

Have your father safely removed into an "honorable" retirement and make sure he does stay put. Take notice that the Targaryen family ranks are nearing extinction status and start working on repopulation. If one wife is not enough, take two and call it tradition. Meanwhile start working on serious reforms and make sure that the various Lords have challenges keeping them busy other than holding to ages-old grudges about whose distant ancestor did what. The real Prince can safely take it from there.

2) Leap into Tywin Lannister when left alone raising Cersei, Jaime and infant Tyrion. Get it into your mind that Tyrion did not deliberately choose to slay his mother. He is no murderer, at least until he starts learning how to walk or talk first. Take a good look of those three kids. They rely you for protection and guidance. Want to be a lion? Then tend to your pack first and then go hunting.

Keep reminding yourself that you can only take decisions for them to a point. Make sure they understand your reasons and that you listed to what they have to say. Start training all three for positions of authority and administrative duties. Your House does not need irrational swordfighters but clever generals. Not superficial ladies but superb advisors. Not bitter and resentful heirs but hard working ones.

The real Tywin might be much happier if his children grow healthier, wiser and more self-confident. While you are busy changing Westeros history by improving the training given to three key players, Tywin himself can be educated about keeping an open mind on alternative lifestyles. He will need it when the twins reach their teenage years and they start playing Aegon and Visenya.

3) Leap into Eddard Stark at the end of the Greyjoy Rebellion. Once again the Starks have played a great role in support of Robert. Everyone else tries to achieve political rewards for their loyal service. Do not just sit there and wait for them to finish. Join the political arena and make sure the North is not left out.

Negotiate with Robert for placing a representative at his little council. Choose someone smart enough to take care of Northern interests but relatively expendable. Roose Bolton might do as he has the brains and is unlikely to be missed much. Get Jon Arryn to regularly update you on the situation at court and offer him whatever assistance he needs in keeping thinks running.

Try to get useful allies. Tywin Lannister and Stannis Baratheon are available to be approached and may be willing to exit their own diplomatic isolation. Reinforce the loyalty of your own bannermen by keeping closer in touch than a couple of token visits per year. Finding some supporters in the Iron Islands by trying to improve their harsh way of life might prevent another confrontation even better than taking a hostage.

At home make sure that your boys are raised to be Starks and not Tullys. Not listen to a word Catelyn has to say about how to raise your girls to be proper Southern ladies. Instead arrange for Maege Mormont to raise them as her wards. If the family has a reputation for training the most capable female leaders and warriors of the North, they must be doing something right. The real Eddard would have reasons to thank you in a couple of years.

4) Leap into Robb Stark right after his betrothal to a Frey woman. Do not let the matter sit there and wait for Robb to fall for the first noble woman who spreads for him. Get to know the Freys and their women up close and personal. Earn him as many allies in the family as you can. Sleep with their women if they invite you. Heck, sleep with Walder Frey himself if you have to but do not stop until finding a suitable Frey mate for Robb. One who can "comfort" him through lonely nights and gain him heirs.

Start working on said heirs as soon as you can. Once Walder gets his royal grandchildren, he is much less likely to contemplate treason and arrange "special" marriage ceremonies. Meanwhile see if you can offer any single Northern nobility as marrital prospects for the Freys. Keep your in-laws interested.

5) Leap into Oberyn Martell before leaving Dorne for King's Landing. Your brother Doran has trusted you with most of the daily decisions for running the realm and keeping your people reasonably. You have even served as a surrogate father for Arianne for some time, partly because you are by now used to raising daughters and a ninth one is not much of a bother.

Visit your brother and inform him of how much his absence has estranged him from his people and his family. Impress him with the facts on how many lost opportunities for alliances and conflicts have gone by while he sits pondering. Point that by the time he has finished working on his secret "master plan" their enemies are likely to have died of old age. Alarm him on a constantly shifting political landscape which would require adaptation to it rather than single minded pursuits. Basically work on rousing him from a long political hibernation which has left Dorne with an increasingly less popular administration.

1) Leap into Rhaegar Targaryen a few years before the Rebellion. Your father has had a good reign but is getting demented in his old age. Abusing your mother and alienating key supporters like Tywin Lannister. among other things. His obsession with fire is also getting a bit disturbing. Particularly the way he looks at still living people and starts discussing their funeral pyres.

Voice your concerns to the members of the council and impress them with the idea that leaving this mental decay go unchecked is inviting danger to the realm. More importantly plant suspicions over what your father has in mind for them. Having them willing to save their own hides is a sure way to gain you support from the Varys-types.

Once you get enough of them willing to entertain the idea of having the king "retired" for health reasons, start recruiting others for your noble cause. Lord Tywin is brooding at Casterly Rock. Start with him and let him know than a young and inexperienced king will need a strong and experienced hand. Find suitable rewards for other ambitious Lords. Make sure that the Kingsguard is filled with people loyal to you and unwilling to sit by and witness rapes and murders by their own king. Rationalise that they would have to protect said king even from himself. Make certain that you have enough support to stage that bloodless coup d'état you dream about BEFORE attempting it.

Have your father safely removed into an "honorable" retirement and make sure he does stay put. Take notice that the Targaryen family ranks are nearing extinction status and start working on repopulation. If one wife is not enough, take two and call it tradition. Meanwhile start working on serious reforms and make sure that the various Lords have challenges keeping them busy other than holding to ages-old grudges about whose distant ancestor did what. The real Prince can safely take it from there.

2) Leap into Tywin Lannister when left alone raising Cersei, Jaime and infant Tyrion. Get it into your mind that Tyrion did not deliberately choose to slay his mother. He is no murderer, at least until he starts learning how to walk or talk first. Take a good look of those three kids. They rely you for protection and guidance. Want to be a lion? Then tend to your pack first and then go hunting.

Keep reminding yourself that you can only take decisions for them to a point. Make sure they understand your reasons and that you listed to what they have to say. Start training all three for positions of authority and administrative duties. Your House does not need irrational swordfighters but clever generals. Not superficial ladies but superb advisors. Not bitter and resentful heirs but hard working ones.

The real Tywin might be much happier if his children grow healthier, wiser and more self-confident. While you are busy changing Westeros history by improving the training given to three key players, Tywin himself can be educated about keeping an open mind on alternative lifestyles. He will need it when the twins reach their teenage years and they start playing Aegon and Visenya.

3) Leap into Eddard Stark at the end of the Greyjoy Rebellion. Once again the Starks have played a great role in support of Robert. Everyone else tries to achieve political rewards for their loyal service. Do not just sit there and wait for them to finish. Join the political arena and make sure the North is not left out.

Negotiate with Robert for placing a representative at his little council. Choose someone smart enough to take care of Northern interests but relatively expendable. Roose Bolton might do as he has the brains and is unlikely to be missed much. Get Jon Arryn to regularly update you on the situation at court and offer him whatever assistance he needs in keeping thinks running.

Try to get useful allies. Tywin Lannister and Stannis Baratheon are available to be approached and may be willing to exit their own diplomatic isolation. Reinforce the loyalty of your own bannermen by keeping closer in touch than a couple of token visits per year. Finding some supporters in the Iron Islands by trying to improve their harsh way of life might prevent another confrontation even better than taking a hostage.

At home make sure that your boys are raised to be Starks and not Tullys. Not listen to a word Catelyn has to say about how to raise your girls to be proper Southern ladies. Instead arrange for Maege Mormont to raise them as her wards. If the family has a reputation for training the most capable female leaders and warriors of the North, they must be doing something right. The real Eddard would have reasons to thank you in a couple of years.

4) Leap into Robb Stark right after his betrothal to a Frey woman. Do not let the matter sit there and wait for Robb to fall for the first noble woman who spreads for him. Get to know the Freys and their women up close and personal. Earn him as many allies in the family as you can. Sleep with their women if they invite you. Heck, sleep with Walder Frey himself if you have to but do not stop until finding a suitable Frey mate for Robb. One who can "comfort" him through lonely nights and gain him heirs.

Start working on said heirs as soon as you can. Once Walder gets his royal grandchildren, he is much less likely to contemplate treason and arrange "special" marriage ceremonies. Meanwhile see if you can offer any single Northern nobility as marrital prospects for the Freys. Keep your in-laws interested.

5) Leap into Oberyn Martell before leaving Dorne for King's Landing. Your brother Doran has trusted you with most of the daily decisions for running the realm and keeping your people reasonably. You have even served as a surrogate father for Arianne for some time, partly because you are by now used to raising daughters and a ninth one is not much of a bother.

Visit your brother and inform him of how much his absence has estranged him from his people and his family. Impress him with the facts on how many lost opportunities for alliances and conflicts have gone by while he sits pondering. Point that by the time he has finished working on his secret "master plan" their enemies are likely to have died of old age. Alarm him on a constantly shifting political landscape which would require adaptation to it rather than single minded pursuits. Basically work on rousing him from a long political hibernation which has left Dorne with an increasingly less popular administration.

That’s a lot of well thought out intelligent leaping. But if your first leap is successful all the others shouldn't be really necessary

on second thought go ahead with the other leaps it would make for an easer to rule kingdum for rhaegar

I leap into Balon Greyjoy:

"My son, if I was a younger man, with less years and experience on my shoulders I would seek mindless revenge against the Starks, this is what my heart demands. But I'm an old man and I've learned from life. What revenge would I get now that Eddard Stark is dead? What kind of revenge would be one that sends our brave ironborn to plunder the large, scarcely inhabited North, one of the poorest regions of the Seven Kingdoms?

No matter how badly worded his letter is, Robb Stark is right. If we have to risk in battle we will do it for a valuable reward. We are going to plunder the Westerlands which are rich, heavily populated with soon to be thralls and salt wives and that have most of their towns and castles conveniently so close to the sea that the arms of the Kraken can easily reach them.

The Greyjoys are not strong enough to take on the rest of the Seven Kingdoms together but what will happen in a generation when the Seven Kingdoms are no more? What will happen when instead of a great realm we have several small kingdoms quarrelling all the time, making war and fighting against each other, too busy to stop rebellions now that their lords want to play the same game that their kings are playing and be kings too? What will happen in a generation when the Greyjoy have become strong again, feasting on the bounty of the newly conquered West?

My son, my daughter, my dear brothers; it will be like in the old days.

We are going to pay the iron prize for the West, my son. Yes, the iron prize, a concept that that fool Eddard Stark missed in your education. But fear not, you are soon to learn about it since you are going to sail with your uncle Victarion and the Iron Fleet. This way my men will learn to know and respect you because if you ever want to lead them, you will need to have earned their trust first. Your sister, Asha, will have an independent command because my ironborn already know her; she starts with some advantage here."

Question: When leaping into someone, you don't actually retain any of that persons skills do you?

For example, if I leapt into Jaime and tried to stop Gregor from killing Rhaegar's wife and children, would I have Jaime's sword skills and fighting prowess?

Or would it just be me in Jaime's body, with no skill, getting my face smashed in by The Mountain's fist?

I'd leap into Brandon Stark when he duelled LF, and despite my promises to Cat, I'd kill the little shit.

Goddamn right.

I would go back to talk to Robert.

"Dude, wine and boar hunting is not a good combination. Oh yeah, and your wife's cheating on you and none of those cute blonde children are yours. Here's your warhammer."

I would leap into Robb and host the wedding but with a thousand of swords behind me and plan a doube double cross on the great Walder Frey but before I killed him I'd make him watch as I butchered his entire house hold.

That or I'd go to the East and join my forces with Dany's together we'd get our justice.

me i'd jump into Robb think why do i really need to go north, my bannermen could quickly assemble 2000 men to retake winterfell and the greyjoys have lost the element of surprise and after winter the greyjoys will be as good as lost. in the meantime i'll wed edmure to roslin in riverrun and tell walter that it really is a much nicer place. meanwhile there will be a faceless man hiding under his chair along with black walter.

• 3 years later...

I leap in Stannis Baratheon before Jon Arryn's death and after visiting young Gendry.

I'll go to king Robert with Jon, young Gendry, Edric Storm, the book and some bodyguards from Dragon Stone. I'll command the youngsters wait on the corridor with my men.

"My brother, I know what you think about me, but I have proof for Cersei's infidelity to you. I do swear for the graves of our parents and honor of the House Baratheon it is true. Do you see these children there? All of them have black hair and blue eyes, right? Do you remember Mya Stone, your... ehem... first? And look in this book here... and here... and here. Do you understand now?"

I'll order my men take the youngsters to safety immediately after seeing them by Robert.

Jon Arryn confirms every word.

Cersei will be dead. Jaime on the Wall. Joffrey? I don't know. Tommen and Myrcelle in Casterly Rock. Some more years of peace in Seven Kingdoms...

I think I woudl go back in the body of Littlefinger and do what he promised to do, pay off Slynt and the Goldcloaks to sup[port Ned when he declared Joffery was not Roberts heir, hopefully sticking around until everything was set up wiht Stannis on the throne and Cersai and Jaime either imrpisoned or executed for treason, then have Littlefinger come back, find out what has gone on, so he could say "I did WHAT?"

I would be in Robb's skin:

1) "You know mother, on second thought, I think I will give the command to the Greatjon, and keep Bolton close to me."

2) "You're right, mother, I will keep Theon close to me. I think it would be best to first scout the waters. Lord Jason has a few ships at Seagard. He should send one to scout the Iron Islands. We should at least get some idea where Lord Balon stands, and if he is to be trusted or not."

3) "Now Edmure, here is what I want you to do. Barricade yourself at Riverrun and let Lord Tywin pass. Oh, you can put a token force at the force to give him some trouble, but let him pass."

4) "Jeyne, you have been a great comfort to me. I will never forget you. Now I must go."

Archived