Quantum Leap style

roeh61

I'd be Hoster Tully, and when the Late Lord Frey brought his men to join the army after the war was already won, I'd take my forces and make him known as the Late Lord Frey for another reason. I'd give the Twins and it's lands and incomes to my brother, and if he didn't want to marry he could name his own heir so long as he had no Frey blood in him.

I'd be Gregor and Sandor's dad then.

Me: I can see something's troubling you, Greg. You wanna talk about it?

Gregor: Growwwr! *kicks Sandor, who begins to cry*

Me: Now, don't hit your brother. Remember you're the oldest, and you have to take care of the little ones. I suddenly realised we never talk about our feelings. Why are you angry, Greg?

Gregor: The other boys laugh at me 'cos I'm big. *sniffs*

Hmmm... I'd leap into Eddard Stark in AGoT, before he leaves to go south with King Robert's party. Bran has been thrown down, and Eddard and Catelyn are discussing what to do...

And I'd tell Catelyn to travel to Highgarden to make a marriage arrangement between Robb and Margaery Tyrell. The right age, both powerful houses... and with the Tyrells backing the Starks, Cersei and Tywin wouldn't dare move against Eddard... too much of a threat from the southeast. And if push *did* come to shove, Tyrell swords would be more likely to back the Starks than Renly. Frey would still have exacted a price, but it would've been Arya and Edmure betrothed for their aid. And Robb damned well better be *actually* married before the war begins, so that if he does take 'comfort', his honor gets him to shut up about it, rather than take a wife.

Hmmm... I'd leap into Eddard Stark in AGoT, before he leaves to go south with King Robert's party. Bran has been thrown down, and Eddard and Catelyn are discussing what to do...

And I'd tell Catelyn to travel to Highgarden to make a marriage arrangement between Robb and Margaery Tyrell. The right age, both powerful houses... and with the Tyrells backing the Starks, Cersei and Tywin wouldn't dare move against Eddard... too much of a threat from the southeast. And if push *did* come to shove, Tyrell swords would be more likely to back the Starks than Renly. Frey would still have exacted a price, but it would've been Arya and Edmure betrothed for their aid. And Robb damned well better be *actually* married before the war begins, so that if he does take 'comfort', his honor gets him to shut up about it, rather than take a wife.

I'd just add that you should make sure there is always one guard watching Bran, even if part of the castle catches fire, now that Cat isn't looking after him night and day.

I'd jump into someone that was at Winterfell before Theon attacked. Let them know that he's coming and his sneak attack would have been thwarted. That would have prevented a lot of heart ache.

Mainly Robb never would have been informed that Bran and Rickon were dead and he never would have hooked up with Jeyne Westerling.

I'd be Gregor and Sandor's dad then.

Me: I can see something's troubling you, Greg. You wanna talk about it?

Gregor: Growwwr! *kicks Sandor, who begins to cry*

Me: Now, don't hit your brother. Remember you're the oldest, and you have to take care of the little ones. I suddenly realised we never talk about our feelings. Why are you angry, Greg?

Gregor: The other boys laugh at me 'cos I'm big. *sniffs*

:lol: I can't imagine anyone having the temerity to laugh at Gregor to his face. I wonder what his punishment would be for that. (punishment for stealing his toys = burning your face off, punishment for interrupting his brooding = raping your daughter, for talking = smashing out your teeth)

I could be Gregor's father and smother him in his bed when he's little - harsh, yes, but it would save Sandor's face, the little sister's life and the father's life.

I wouldn't have sent Theon to talk to his father.

That would have solved SO MUCH!

Yeah, I'd have jumped to someone in those council meetings and advised that sending the hostage/ward back to his father with whom there is all ready a rocky relationship with might not be the best option available.

I could be Gregor's father and smother him in his bed when he's little - harsh, yes, but it would save Sandor's face, the little sister's life and the father's life.

Understandable, though IMO no one is born evil and I think that includes Gregor. But of course, the fact that he drinks milk of the poppy like other people drink beer (for his head aches) hints to the fact that there might be something physically wrong with him. If so, no amount of conditioning would make him friendlier...

A case for House MD! ;)

Understandable, though IMO no one is born evil and I think that includes Gregor. But of course, the fact that he drinks milk of the poppy like other people drink beer (for his head aches) hints to the fact that there might be something physically wrong with him. If so, no amount of conditioning would make him friendlier...

A case for House MD! ;)

One of my friends(the same one who made me read this series) believes that Gregor's headaches are a sign of a brain tumor. I spend too much time pondering the issue of whether Gregor is incapable of feeling anything for anyone else or whether he's just a nasty bastard who does cruel things because he can get away with them. Of course, he could just be grumpy because he's too big for all the furniture and he keeps hitting his head on ceilings.

Yeah, I'd have jumped to someone in those council meetings and advised that sending the hostage/ward back to his father with whom there is all ready a rocky relationship with might not be the best option available.

Didn't Catelyn say exactly that? You'd have to jump into Robb and agree with her.

This one is easy.

"See, here's the thing, Robb. I didn't MEAN for your father to committ treason against MY father. But when he did, I figured- what the hell: Eddard Stark was a good man who had a good run as Hand and didn't deserve to be a head shorter. So, I sent him to the Wall. When I heard you were at Riverrun, I sent an emissary out to let you know that your father had admitted his treason and had taken the black. I'm glad you showed up here.

"I have treated Sansa with great care and concern. I have not mistreated her, nor have I or any of my men abused her. I have also not betrothed or bedded her. I have no idea where Arya is.

"My Hand- you know Lord Tywin Lannister, correct?- has been advising me since and its been a real education. Why yes, that IS Sir Gregor and the Hound standing guard here while we talk. Uou will note that Gregor is about twice the size of the Greatjon. And no- I don't think I will have the Hound wait outside,.

"I know that you have stationed your troops at Riverrun and for some reason hold my dear uncle hostage. I cannot imagine why as I have freed your father who admitted his treason publicly and allowed him to take the black. So, at this time, I ask that you free my uncle. Your lords and vassals in the North are not quite ready to take up arms against me as their former lord has taken the black and no harm came of him.

"And I am happy to report that my uncle Renly has been in concert with House Tyrell- what's that? Why yes that IS Lord Tyrell himself in my courtyard. Unfortuantely his mother is too sick to travel- poor thing. My uncle is to marry Lord Tyrell's daughter. And then go to Storm's End and retake Dragonstone within the year. No problems there.

"I also understand you sent an emissary to Balon Greyjoy. Now, far be it from me to tell you how to lead your men, but frankly your father has admitted one treason and you have sent an emissary to treat with another. The next thing you will tell me is that you have sent someone to talk to Stannis and another to speak with Viserys. HA! HA! I KID! Stannis would cut your balls off if you sent anyone to him.... and I stopped smiling for a reason.

"What was that? Oh, my mother. Yes, well, she has returned to The Rock. Obviously, these wild rumors spread by Stannis have taken their toll on her. And speaking of rumors, I heard one the other day you will get a kick out of: it stated that you have gone around calling yourself The King Of the North! Errr.... obviously, a Kingdom can only have one King. And as you can see I am he. I suggest that you quell these rumors as soon as possible because.... why yes I DO know Lord Bolton! And his son.... and their wierd tastes. And they are on YOUR side. Good luck with that.

"Littlefinger? Oh, gods, what a bad string of luck there. Turns out Littlefinger was the one who started the rumors. Egads, I KNOW! So, I had him tortured. And tortured. And tortured. Yup- that's him screaming right now. Well, good new- he told me who killed Jon Aryyn. Yup- his wife. Yup, your aunt. Terrible business.

"So, I need to do something there- we don't want hands to keep dying, do we? HA! Seriously, though. You currently hold Riverrun and the Vale is out there. Here is what I suggest: get your mother to talk to her sister and have her swear fealty to me and the realm. She can stay in the Vale as long as she likes. Her stupid retard of a kid can be heir. Fine. When that's all done, she is to make the next heir my uncle, Tyrion. Easy peazy, lemon squezy.

"Not sure, you say? Look, I already have three Starks on the wall, i don't want to send another one. And, dang it all if I just did not send 300 men to look for Arya and I would HATE IT if they didn't find her alive... I mean, find her at all!

"Oh, one last thing, Lord Stark of Winterfell, loyal lord of the Seven Kingdoms, noble vassal to King Joffery I, one last thing.... Lord Frey- do tell, what was it he wanted for your loyalty? Marry one of his ugly grand daughters? Yuk! Look, let me have Barristan Selmy ride out with you to visit Lady Westerling and her daughter. I think you will find them most.... hospitable....

"... and don't worry about Lord Frey... we can handle that...."

Rockroi, I'm not sure I understand all that....just how many people are you "leaping" into?

I'd leap into Beric just before they find Cat's body, and when he would have made the decision to give her the kiss of fire I would leave her to rot instead...Beric lives on to carry out his noble work, UnCat stays an inaminate corpse and can't go on a vengeful rampage.

I only lept into Joff. Joff is King, has all the power of the realm. Essencially, if he keeps Eddard Stark alive and just sends him to the wall, abut 80% of all his problems go away. Robb cannot truly gain complete aproval of his own lords if they are fighting for the honor of their FORMER lord who declared his treason. The Winter lords of the North are NOT going to go to war because Eddard Stark was a traitor.

Robb also losses a lot of his momentum if Eddard is alive. He will have to run Winterfell.

Joff's problems are not as difficult as one would imagine. At the time the War of the 5 Kings breaks out, Joff has a large Navy, a huge army, Lannister money, and his only real enemy is off on DRagonstone with nothing to do. Even when Stannis lands at Storm's End, it does no good if Renly is not there to fight him (and thus, no army for Renly to take).

Joff need only rid himself of Littlefinger and Cersei. Littlefinger needs to be killed; Cersei only neutralized and eventually married off to the Tyrells. So send her to the Rock.

My only wrinkle is getting Renly back. But I think Renly comes back a great deal once JOff keeps Eddard alive. Once that occurs, I would find it hard to believe that Tyrell- with no gripe against Lannisters or Joff -would continue to support Renly. If Renly was left alone, just offer him some fancy things and get him back in the fold. The Vale is a good place to give to Tyrion, get him involved but not a prolem with Tywin.

With Robb neautralized, Renly pacified, and Greyjoy doing nothing in the face of a relatively stable NOrth, that leaves only Stannis. Well, he lost on the Balckwater EVEN WITH JOFF SCREWING EVERYTHING UP- he'd lose again with Joff being semi-competent.

That's all I was saying.

I'd leap into Rhaegar Targaryen, and have the following chat with Lyanna Stark:

"Okay, first off, let me reiterate that I think it's hot as hell that it was actually you that was the Knight of the Laughing Tree, and that coming across you in the woods was one of my life's defining moments. I know I have a wife, but to be honest, things haven't been going that well, and I'm afraid that my little stunt with the crown of blue roses may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. I want nothing more than to run off with you and start a new life in the mountains of Dorne, ripping your clothes off and taking you every which way from Sunday. I even know just the spot.

"But first, I'm afraid that I must insist you sit down and have a heart-to-heart with our dear friend Robert Baratheon. I know that you think he's just a lech that won't leave you alone, and that all his declarations of love for you are harmless, but I really think that he is capable of crossing the line, and, seeing as how he is to become one of the most powerful lords of the Seven Kingdoms, I really can't afford to make the man my enemy. Just let him know how you feel about him, explain to him that you've found someone else, and tell him that you're sorry, but that he deserves to be with a girl that truly loves him. He deserves that much - he's really a decent human being at heart. But if he gets the wrong idea, and brings my father into it, I'm afraid that my father may do something rash. He's been ever so unstable of late.

"While we're at it, make sure your brother Brandon knows what's up as well. I'm all in favor of impulsive decisions, but pulling the wool over your family's eyes is stretching things a bit thin, and let's face it, Brandon is a bit of a hothead. If you don't mind me saying so, I fear that he will use his swordarm before his brain, and that his sense of caution is a bit underdeveloped. This is not a recipe for a peaceful kingdom.

"I love you and want to be with you more than anything in the world, but we must understand that we have a bit of responsibility here, and that if we fail to be up-front with our friends and family about it, we may find that the political situation here is far more delicate than anyone fears."

Joff's problems are not as difficult as one would imagine. At the time the War of the 5 Kings breaks out, Joff has a large Navy, a huge army, Lannister money, and his only real enemy is off on DRagonstone with nothing to do. Even when Stannis lands at Storm's End, it does no good if Renly is not there to fight him (and thus, no army for Renly to take).

I know a woman on Dragonstone who isn't deterred by Sandor Clegane, childish threats of torture, or the walls of the Red Keep. Maegor's Holdfast is no Dragonstone, and if Stannis doesn't need to fight Renly, that just sends him after the Lannisters that much sooner.

Sure, he doesn't have the power to take King's Landing, but I'd bet good money he'll kill Joffrey (as well as Tommen and Myrcella) pretty fast, since abominations borne of incest have no right to live. After that, he would assume the crown by law.

Full of Terrors,

Deus Ex Biotica

P.S. The one change I am always going over in my mind is: what happens if Eddard Stark accepts Renly's aid and siezes the regency? Not even Lord Tywin would have an easy time wresting control of the realm back before Eddard decided who (Stannis or Joffrey) he wanted on the Iron Throne.

This would be the quickest leap ever!

I would leap into Robert, right before Cercei started giving him all kinds of lip in public. Then, instead of a light smack or backhand, I would cave her face in with a mailed fist...and then leap out before all hell insued! :box:

Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of the whoring, incestual, caniving, deceitful bitch?

Archived