Season 5 vs Books 4 and 5

Kandrax

On 9/22/2018 at 10:54 PM, Apoplexy said:

I think the reason YG was excluded from the show was that he wouldn't be significant with respect to the ending. Which makes me think he isn't going to last long in the books either.

Or no one knows what to do with him (GRRM included). I think he will last longer than most think in the books but his character in the show merged with Jon .... all in my opinion of course.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:44 PM, Kandrax said:

Or maybe they don't wanted to confirm whether he is Aegon or not.

It's possible. But I doubt the showrunners would omit an entire plot line just to avoid spoilers for the books. If the YG was significant and could be made interesting for TV viewers, I think the show would have kept him in.

3 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Or no one knows what to do with him (GRRM included). I think he will last longer than most think in the books but his character in the show merged with Jon .... all in my opinion of course.

Yeah, it is possible GRRM didn't know what he planned to with him when he spoke to the showrunners. GRRM has also alluded to a second dance of dragons, so I wonder if we might see Jon against Dany next season.

3 hours ago, btfu806 said:

I think it all comes back to the show runners wanting to wrap this up in 7-8 seasons. 

Since the first season D&D said they saw this as a 70 hour movie. 

If they had adapted YG then it becomes impossible to really stick to that.

15 minutes ago, jcmontea said:

I think it all comes back to the show runners wanting to wrap this up in 7-8 seasons. 

Since the first season D&D said they saw this as a 70 hour movie. 

If they had adapted YG then it becomes impossible to really stick to that.

I don t agree, If they really wanted YG he wouldn t need much tv time before atacking kings landing. And at that time with cersei dead and him in power he could have replaced cersei's role last season. And they could have cut euron completly from the show! (as the show doesn t care about magic euron is basically useless and the golden company would already be in westeros so no need to spend time with him…)

To me the truth is that D&D didn t want to kill lena's character (which explains how stupidly well things went for her last season) and didn t want to have a big battle with the characters in KL and a bunch of unknown characters.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:48 PM, divica said:

I don t agree, If they really wanted YG he wouldn t need much tv time before atacking kings landing. And at that time with cersei dead and him in power he could have replaced cersei's role last season. And they could have cut euron completly from the show! (as the show doesn t care about magic euron is basically useless and the golden company would already be in westeros so no need to spend time with him…)

To me the truth is that D&D didn t want to kill lena's character (which explains how stupidly well things went for her last season) and didn t want to have a big battle with the characters in KL and a bunch of unknown characters.

You are assuming Cersei dies soon in the books which who knows

On 9/6/2018 at 6:57 PM, Kandrax said:

Season 5 is seen, excluding season 7, as worst among them. However, S5 is loose adaptation of Feast and Dance. Both of these are seen as inferior toward first three. So does that means that any adaptation of book 4-5 is doomed to fail?

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would like season six better than season five.  Sure season five had some cringe moments, and Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken is still probably the worst episode of the entire series but it had way more good than bad.  Season six, I've only watched once, and I can't even imagine trying to watch it all the way through again it was all so dreary and full of fail.  

Edit:  Don't get me wrong, the last two episodes were good but for the most part the season accomplished very little.  A lot of filler material.  Season five did a much better job of advancing the plot.  

3 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would like season six better than season five.  Sure season five had some cringe moments, and Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken is still probably the worst episode of the entire series but it had way more good than bad.  Season six, I've only watched once, and I can't even imagine trying to watch it all the way through again it was all so dreary and full of fail.  

Edit:  Don't get me wrong, the last two episodes were good but for the most part the season accomplished very little.  A lot of filler material.  Season five did a much better job of advancing the plot.  

Season 6 was my second favorite season of the series.

3 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

Really?  What put it above the other seasons in your opinion? 

For starters, The Winds of Winter is probably my favorite episode of any television show ever, so there’s that. The Battle of the Bastards was an amazing episode as well. Some other plot points I loved were the Night’s Watch standoff, Jaime’s siege of Riverrun, Walder Frey’s return, the Hound’s return, Sansa and Jon visiting the northern lords, Theon reuniting with Yara, Arya’s training and her conversations with Lady Crane, Tyrion visiting the dragons and his negotiations with the slavers, Danerys taking over the khalasar, the siege of Meereen, the High Sparrow’s rise and fall from power, Tarly family dinner, and Bran’s training/ the attack on the cave. Overall, I would say my only true disappointments were  Euron’s portrayal, though felt he was much better in season 7, and Arya’s stabbing.

Season 5 is still the absolute worst for me. Sansa, Dorne and Jon's murder were all handled so poorly it's unbelievable, plus the absolute dumbest moment in the entire show when Daario finds that guy hiding in the walls for no reason. Just awful.

When compared to the books it's even worse. I know people have issues with the length and pacing of Feast and Dance, and I think you can make some decent criticisms about them for that, but the show barely attempted to adapt even the good bits. No murder mystery or "the north remembers" at Winterfell, no heroic Brienne at the inn, no introspective journey for a changed Jaime, no descent into madness for Cersei and even the Sparrows plotline was botched and nonsensical. I liked Hardhome, but that was where the budget went - it felt like they put that in to try and distract people from how terrible everything around it was.

I think D and D were lucky Dorne was disliked so much because it drew a lot of hate away from all the other mistakes made. 

On 9/28/2018 at 11:01 AM, Dragon in the North said:

For starters, The Winds of Winter is probably my favorite episode of any television show ever, so there’s that. The Battle of the Bastards was an amazing episode as well. Some other plot points I loved were the Night’s Watch standoff, Jaime’s siege of Riverrun, Walder Frey’s return, the Hound’s return, Sansa and Jon visiting the northern lords, Theon reuniting with Yara, Arya’s training and her conversations with Lady Crane, Tyrion visiting the dragons and his negotiations with the slavers, Danerys taking over the khalasar, the siege of Meereen, the High Sparrow’s rise and fall from power, Tarly family dinner, and Bran’s training/ the attack on the cave. Overall, I would say my only true disappointments were  Euron’s portrayal, though felt he was much better in season 7, and Arya’s stabbing.

Sure, thanks for the elaboration.  It's all opinionated of course. I agree Euron got better in season seven.  

Archived