Valyrian steel armor

Sigella

5 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Scale armour could explain how it is made from Valyrian steel because each scale could be forged separately and then attached over leather or some other material.  Perhaps the magical nature of the armour is it's primary form of protections with wards and glamours protecting the wearer from any number of enchantments and magical assaults.  It may provide protection from the crystal blades of the others.  Maybe it protects the wearer from dragon flame.  

Well, if the goal was to match the hardness of the steel with a medium that could lessen the impact on the wearer, then lamellar armor is the way to go. It would also match up with the eastern feel of it as well coming from Essos. Lastly, it would allow for it to be "affordable" by comparison if making VS really was so costly. I'm not so sure any magical protections would extend to the connecting parts that weren't VS, but that's for George to flesh out. Slipping a dagger between two plates shouldn't be any harder than any other armor of that type.

It still doesn't explain why none of the Targaryen conquerors and kings were chronicled to have any of this armor (at least by my memory, I haven't read the history book).

1 hour ago, Sigella said:

Yes because its a VS-sword. I'm not fighting a battle here, just trying to figure stuff out.

Yes, a sword that breaks when used is worth the same as an entire army?  VS isn't worth a lot because it's VS, VS is worth a lot because the properties VS has are incredible.  Lighter and stronger than steal, and based off everything we have seen, not just stronger, but perfect.  If the Valyrian stone roads haven't cracked in thousands of years, if Ice, Longclaw, Dark sister, Blackfyre, Lady Forlone, Heartsbane, Red Rain, etc etc, all exist after hundreds if not thousands of years, then they do not need to be sharpened, and don't break, they are spell forged in dragon fire and would hack through stone if GRRM wants them to.

54 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

Well, if the goal was to match the hardness of the steel with a medium that could lessen the impact on the wearer, then lamellar armor is the way to go. It would also match up with the eastern feel of it as well coming from Essos. Lastly, it would allow for it to be "affordable" by comparison if making VS really was so costly. I'm not so sure any magical protections would extend to the connecting parts that weren't VS, but that's for George to flesh out. Slipping a dagger between two plates shouldn't be any harder than any other armor of that type.

It still doesn't explain why none of the Targaryen conquerors and kings were chronicled to have any of this armor (at least by my memory, I haven't read the history book).

Aeron describes Euron's armour as Valyrian steel.  He also describes it as scale armour.  I'm trying to establish that it would be possible to make scale armour using Valyrian scales.

It is likely that other traditional approaches to making armour would have offered greater protection during conventional hand-to-hand combat situations but hand-to-hand combat might not be what the Valyrian steel armour was made for.  A Valyrian leader with enough power and influence to purchase a suit of armour apparently had enough wealth to purchase a kingdom so he could easily have afforded an effective royal guard (and army) to protect him from  conventional harm in combat.  Protection from  magical incantations, wards, spells and dragon fire might have been the primary purpose.

27 minutes ago, White Ravens said:

Aeron describes Euron's armour as Valyrian steel.  He also describes it as scale armour.  I'm trying to establish that it would be possible to make scale armour using Valyrian scales.

It is likely that other traditional approaches to making armour would have offered greater protection during conventional hand-to-hand combat situations but hand-to-hand combat might not be what the Valyrian steel armour was made for.  A Valyrian leader with enough power and influence to purchase a suit of armour apparently had enough wealth to purchase a kingdom so he could easily have afforded an effective royal guard (and army) to protect him from  conventional harm in combat.  Protection from  magical incantations, wards, spells and dragon fire might have been the primary purpose.

"Scale" armor is lamellar armor construction, so yes. If the goal is to lessen the impact of the blow to the body with an under-garment (and arming coat) so you can take advantage of the super-hardness of the VS scales to stop slashing and stabbing attacks and distribute the energy of blunt attacks over a larger area, this type of construction is best.

As to the magical or magic resistant properties of this armor, we will have to see what George comes up with. In any case, all armors have weak spots to exploit on a basic physical level, so unless Euron's armor has "Valyrian leather" straps and tie downs that have magical properties and have withstood the ravages of time, its connecting parts are new and vulnerable.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:25 AM, Megorova said:

I think, that VS armor can't be cut or damageded by average steel or by iron. Most likely, even VS sword, or some other VS weapon, also can't damage VS armor. So it's an ultimate protection in a battle. Though there's still dragon fire and wildfire. Thus even someone, who is wearing VS armor, still will be fried. I'm wondering, whether whoever is wearing VSA, is protected by it from influence of any outside magic.

If VS is really made with usage of magic, and that magic can cause damage to "winter magic", i.e. - to harm wights and white walkers, then, probably, they won't be able to even get close to someone, who is wearing VSA. It will act like a cross against vampires.

I agree with this line of reasoning, there very well could be spells or incantations woven into VS armour that lets you see through illusions, such as the ones the FM uses, and i reckon it'd also protect you from "shadow" magic  a la Renly.

i suspect it'd be light and flexible too, you wouldn't drown wearing a full suit of it if you got pushed off a ship..which would be bliss level useful for a pirate like Euron.

magical protection properties alongside some level of physical..  like turning back any razor sharp weapons. being said, full body plate of steel is tanky enough to do that as it is unless it's Valryian Steel. VSA should have some level of resistance to it.  However i do not see it providing much protection from blunt-force trauma such as a strong connecting blow from Robert's Warhammer.

I suspect wildfire, dragonfire will cook you alive in it well enough too. May be less impact from regular fire.

14 hours ago, Sigella said:

Could be, but the wording doesn't sit right to me. If it was Cordbray that missed it isn't really Lady Forlorn fault.

Lady Forlorn is put forth as the extension of Corbray in the duel. Just as Blackfyre represents Daemon. The sword is an analogy for the fighter in this case.

It's like Syrio Forel said..the sword is a part of your arm. it's not to do with the sword, but the wielder being bested in the fight.

12 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Yes, a sword that breaks when used is worth the same as an entire army?  VS isn't worth a lot because it's VS, VS is worth a lot because the properties VS has are incredible.  Lighter and stronger than steal, and based off everything we have seen, not just stronger, but perfect.  If the Valyrian stone roads haven't cracked in thousands of years, if Ice, Longclaw, Dark sister, Blackfyre, Lady Forlone, Heartsbane, Red Rain, etc etc, all exist after hundreds if not thousands of years, then they do not need to be sharpened, and don't break, they are spell forged in dragon fire and would hack through stone if GRRM wants them to.

Tyrion IV SoS:

"At long last, Father? Valyrian steel blades were scarce and costly, yet thousands remained in the world, perhaps two hundred in the Seven Kingdoms alone. It had always irked his father that none belonged to House Lannister. The old Kings of the Rock had owned such a weapon, but the greatsword Brightroar had been lost when the second King Tommen carried it back to Valyria on his fool's quest. He had never returned; nor had Uncle Gery, the youngest and most reckless of his father's brothers, who had gone seeking after the lost sword some eight years past.

Thrice at least Lord Tywin had offered to buy Valyrian longswords from impoverished lesser houses, but his advances had always been firmly rebuffed. The little lordlings would gladly part with their daughters should a Lannister come asking, but they cherished their old family swords."

You could be right that it is all about perfection but it could also be that its about prestige as well. This quote above is what I'm leaning on in regards to Lady Forlorn being remade - like if people are prepared to travel to Valyria to get their VS-sword back it's a stretch not to assume that they'd also repair them.

Kind of tricky this, like on one hand VS do have all these superior properties - but at the same time it seems a weird assumption that all VS is equal in quality.

12 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Wasn't Bittersteel wielding Blackfyre when he fought Bloodraven at Redgrass?

Yes.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Targaryen Kings: Daeron II

In this manner did the First Blackfyre Rebellion begin, in the year 196 AC. Reversing the colors of the traditional Targaryen arms to show a black dragon on a red field, the rebels declared for Princess Daena's bastard son Daemon Blackfyre, First of His Name, proclaiming him the eldest true son of King Aegon IV, and his half brother Daeron the bastard. Subsequently many battles were fought between the black and red dragons in the Vale, the westerlands, the riverlands, and elsewhere.
The rebellion ended at the Redgrass Field, nigh on a year later. Some have written of the boldness of the men who fought with Daemon, and others of their treason. But for all their valor in the field and their enmity against Daeron, theirs was a lost cause. Daemon and his eldest sons, Aegon and Aemon, were brought down beneath the withering fall of arrows sent by Brynden Rivers and his private guards, the Raven's Teeth. This was followed by Bittersteel's mad charge, with Blackfyre in his hand, as he attempted to rally Daemon's forces. Meeting with Bloodraven in the midst of the charge, a mighty duel ensued, which left Bloodraven blinded in one eye and sent Bittersteel fleeing.

Archived