Why do people love Dany?

King_of_Ashes

What are you expecting from a 15-16 year old? Its not like she had any training on how to rule when she was on the run with Viserys. Ever since she birthed the dragons she had been making this shit up as she goes along. She is by no means my favourite character, but overall I don't think she is a terrible ruler, she just needs more experience. It doesn't help that the way she views ruling is completely different from how ruling in Essos works. 

Oh and work of advice, don't talk about the show here, people get pissed about that. 

Maybe because GRRM "gave her everything", she is a female character that got the dragons, she is the most intelligent character that pulls epic power plays and to top it off she has magic dragon blood that gives her heat resistance. All of which is awesome.

1 hour ago, King_of_Ashes said:

She is literally a bad ruler and an unstable character especially on the show....

You might want to separate the show from the books.  The two are not the same.  Benioff and Weiss created their own characters and they are not like their book counterparts.

Dany is actually a very capable ruler.  The problems in Meereen are the results of a very bad people who does not want to give up slavery.  That city has a lot of potential to become great.  It is near the coast.  It has access to the Skahazadhan.  The weather is great for farming crops who do well in warmer climates.  

You will not find another teenager in the story who can find a way to win the love and the respect of a khal like Drogo.  Her strength and her courage are unrivaled.  She is the smartest among the teen rulers.  For sure smarter than Joffrey, Jon Snow, Robb, Sansa, and Margery.  Daenerys is fighting to help save the lives of other people to whom she owed nothing to, unlike Joffrey, Jon Snow, and Robb who mainly just care about their families.  Those guys like Jon Snow and Robb Stark support their families, right or wrong, and they shunt their duties aside, compromise ethics, to serve their families, whether its right or wrong.  

I love Daenerys for all of the reasons I mentioned.  Factor in the intangibles like her charm (proven when she lulled Mero into complacency) and her beauty (loveliest girl in the world) and it is hard not to love Daenerys.  She also has the cool factor of hatching the dragons and riding Drogon.  

9 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

You might want to separate the show from the books.  The two are not the same.  Benioff and Weiss created their own characters and they are not like their book counterparts.

Dany is actually a very capable ruler.  The problems in Meereen are the results of a very bad people who does not want to give up slavery.  That city has a lot of potential to become great.  It is near the coast.  It has access to the Skahazadhan.  The weather is great for farming crops who do well in warmer climates.  

You will not find another teenager in the story who can find a way to win the love and the respect of a khal like Drogo.  Her strength and her courage are unrivaled.  She is the smartest among the teen rulers.  For sure smarter than Joffrey, Jon Snow, Robb, Sansa, and Margery.  Daenerys is fighting to help save the lives of other people to whom she owed nothing to, unlike Joffrey, Jon Snow, and Robb who mainly just care about their families.  Those guys like Jon Snow and Robb Stark support their families, right or wrong, and they shunt their duties aside, compromise ethics, to serve their families, whether its right or wrong.  

I love Daenerys for all of the reasons I mentioned.  Factor in the intangibles like her charm (proven when she lulled Mero into complacency) and her beauty (loveliest girl in the world) and it is hard not to love Daenerys.  She also has the cool factor of hatching the dragons and riding Drogon.  

You love Daenerys because she’s supposedly smarter than other characters? :blink: Wouldnt such a smart person be able to see who’s plotting against her and wouldn’t be struggling so much/more than all of the other leaders listed? Robb and Jon didn’t “shunt” there duties aside having family just gives you more duties/responsibilities. Dany doesn’t have anyone and doesn’t know what it’s like to make hard choices for the people you love.

Also not to mention some of these people she’s saving she put into slavery to afford her excursion to Westeros when she was with Drogo.

I like Dany because of what she represents and her crusade to end slavery. Given her power she could go to Westeros and easily takeover the 7K, but she’s choosing to try to make a difference before she does, no matter how hard it is or the possibility of it. She also represents a strong and powerful female character which most books/story’s don’t have. She’s easily the most powerful person in the book with her dragons and soon to be ginormous army. All Dany needs is to be surrounded by the right people to help her rule and takeover the 7K and she will be the best ruler in a long time in Westeros. 

What I liked on her character initially was that she was putting real effort to adapt to a shit situation, she went from a powerless girl bullyied by her brother to a woman able to impress Khal Drogo, and later on gained three dragons and set her up as a leader. But then came the whole mereen arc and her story became boring for me.

47 minutes ago, Starkz said:

She is the smartest among the teen rulers.  For sure smarter than Joffrey, Jon Snow, Robb, Sansa, and Margery. 

I never felt her more smart than Robb or Jon.Maybe because I'm a Stark fanboy but for me she just had a better lucky then then Robb or Jon.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

I never felt her more smart than Robb or Jon.Maybe because I'm a Stark fanboy but for me she just had a better lucky then then Robb or Jon.

Yeah I always considered Jon the smartest of the teen rulers. Considering everything he had to deal with I thought he was doing pretty well. It was being too emotional that fucked Jon over, not being dumb. 

31 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Yeah I always considered Jon the smartest of the teen rulers. Considering everything he had to deal with I thought he was doing pretty well. It was being too emotional that fucked Jon over, not being dumb. 

This is interesting to me, I've never read Jon as dumb or anything but not intelligent either. Whenever brains is needed Jon goes to Samwell or Donal Noye, sort of.

edit: "Why do you read so much?" 

5 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Agree.

Everything that could go wrong for Robb went worse, and Jon had just the same bad lucky.

Dany on the other hand had a lot of good moments, that she was saved by people going against their best interest, like Jorah saving her from the poinsoned wine, when Drogo is "good as dead" Jorah refuses to abadon her and even defended her against a blood riders. Daario also turned his cloack in her favor and killed his leader, and later on she is saved once again by Selmy.

4 minutes ago, Sigella said:

This is interesting to me, I've never read Jon as dumb or anything but not intelligent either. Whenever brains is needed Jon goes to Samwell or Donal Noye, sort of.

I've always considered Jon pretty smart. He had to juggle between the wildlings, the Nights Watchmen, and Stannis' army, and to be honest I think he did pretty well. He set up a match between Alys Karstark and Sigorn, which not only got the Thenns on his side, but also binded the Northerners and the wildlings together. He managed to sort out a deal with the Iron Bank, and he's going to use the money to build glass houses which will help feed the Nights Watch. He tricked Cregan Karstark into attacking him, allowing him to interrogate Cregan and his men, which led to to finding out about Karstark's plan to betray Stannis. He put two dead bodies in Ice Cells hoping they would turn into wights so he could try to find out information on them. And whilst technically he shouldn't have done it, he gave solid advice to Stannis on how to win against the Boltons, which without Stannis would have marched on the Dreadfort straight away, and would probably already be dead.

All this was when Sam had left for the Citadel, and Donal Noye was already dead. And from what we can tell, his other "advisers" at Castle Black where of absolutely no help to him whatsoever. All they did was complain, and offer no solutions to the things they complained about. 

Is he as smart as people like Tyrion and Littlefinger? Absolutely not. But considering he is only 16-17, I think he is very smart. In the end his downfall was being too emotionally invested in his family, when his only focus should have been getting ready for the Others. 

19 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Everything that could go wrong for Robb went worse, and Jon had just the same bad lucky.

Whilst alot of things did go wrong for Robb, I think it is definitely his fault he lost in the end. He make alot of stupid mistakes. I think he was a great battle commander, but a shit ruler. 

3 hours ago, King_of_Ashes said:

She is literally a bad ruler and an unstable character especially on the show....

Oye. ever noticed the similar appearance of Emilia and Rachel Khoo. Rachel is older and a mix breed. They not only have similar physical facial features but they have the same vocals.

Thought I might need to clarify --- this caucasian married a Filippo.---- Philippines (Asians) were colonized by Spaniards --- mestizo is the word for mix/bi racial.

Rachel has a Malaysian mix background. Not all Asians are the same.

18 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Whilst alot of things did go wrong for Robb, I think it is definitely his fault he lost in the end. He make alot of stupid mistakes. I think he was a great battle commander, but a shit ruler. 

The mistake is are the broken marriage and the execution of Karstark but at that point he already had lost.

But the bad luck of his is too big. Ramsey starting a civil war in the north, Balon refusing the alliance and invading the north, Renly being killed by magic, Lysa Arryn not joining the war, Edmure going against his orders, Tyrion being able to secure a defenso for KL when the city is starving, Stannis being dellayed by bad wheather, Theon going against his orders and taking winterfell with 30 men, Catelyn freeing Jaime.

1 hour ago, Arthur Peres said:

What I liked on her character initially was that she was putting real effort to adapt to a shit situation, she went from a powerless girl bullyied by her brother to a woman able to impress Khal Drogo, and later on gained three dragons and set her up as a leader. But then came the whole mereen arc and her story became boring for me.

I think the same thing. I was just responding to someone who said she was smarter than everyone.

50 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Agree.

Dany on the other hand had a lot of good moments, that she was saved by people going against their best interest, like Jorah saving her from the poinsoned wine, when Drogo is "good as dead" Jorah refuses to abadon her and even defended her against a blood riders. Daario also turned his cloack in her favor and killed his leader, and later on she is saved once again by Selmy.

Robb and Jon had shit luck compared to Dany. I think GRRM did this on purpose to add conflict and plot to the Starks storyline and to make it so Dany had a storyline. She doesn’t achieve anything she has without some luck.

Because she is a flawed yet likeable character. People love human charatcers because they make them feel similar and also read from their perspetive, we are all flawed after all. Also it's very difficult to bring something new to the table and actually do the world a better place, so the whole Slavor's Bay reform plot is an interesting enigma for me (and for Daenerys as well).

She is awfully written and executed in the show but who even expects much from that series in 2018 anyway?

23 minutes ago, Starkz said:

I think the same thing. I was just responding to someone who said she was smarter than everyone.

The thing that left me bored with Dany's story is that from the begining was clear that she was going to westeros and fight for her bithright. So every big conflict that she had after the death of Khal Drogo was an "yawn" for me... It never felt like she was truly in danger.

I had a similar feeling with Jon, to be honest.

1 hour ago, EloImFizzy said:

I've always considered Jon pretty smart. He had to juggle between the wildlings, the Nights Watchmen, and Stannis' army, and to be honest I think he did pretty well. He set up a match between Alys Karstark and Sigorn, which not only got the Thenns on his side, but also binded the Northerners and the wildlings together. He managed to sort out a deal with the Iron Bank, and he's going to use the money to build glass houses which will help feed the Nights Watch. He tricked Cregan Karstark into attacking him, allowing him to interrogate Cregan and his men, which led to to finding out about Karstark's plan to betray Stannis. He put two dead bodies in Ice Cells hoping they would turn into wights so he could try to find out information on them. And whilst technically he shouldn't have done it, he gave solid advice to Stannis on how to win against the Boltons, which without Stannis would have marched on the Dreadfort straight away, and would probably already be dead.

All this was when Sam had left for the Citadel, and Donal Noye was already dead. And from what we can tell, his other "advisers" at Castle Black where of absolutely no help to him whatsoever. All they did was complain, and offer no solutions to the things they complained about. 

Is he as smart as people like Tyrion and Littlefinger? Absolutely not. But considering he is only 16-17, I think he is very smart. In the end his downfall was being too emotionally invested in his family, when his only focus should have been getting ready for the Others. 

Granted what Jon did with Cregan Karstark was neat.

But it to me it simply can't compete with playing Astapor like Dany did. How she won the Unsullied is pretty much the cleverest move by any character. She went from being a girl leading a tiny group of Dothraki to proper Queen with army and it cost her nothing. 

Archived