Why do people love Dany?

King_of_Ashes

2 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

The thing that left me bored with Dany's story is that from the begining was clear that she was going to westeros and fight for her bithright. So every big conflict that she had after the death of Khal Drogo was an "yawn" for me... It never felt like she was truly in danger.

I had a similar feeling with Jon, to be honest.

Yes believe it’s called plot armor :D

1 hour ago, Sigella said:

Granted what Jon did with Cregan Karstark was neat.

But it to me it simply can't compete with playing Astapor like Dany did. How she won the Unsullied is pretty much the cleverest move by any character. She went from being a girl leading a tiny group of Dothraki to proper Queen with army and it cost her nothing. 

Oh I definitely think Daenerys is smart. I really hate to be that guy, but her getting this far has alot to do with the dragons. I know I know, you use what you have, and Daenerys used them marvelously, but when I look at the two different situations that the two of them are in I cant help but feel Jon is smarter. 

I know what I'm about to say doesn't sum up Daenerys as a whole, but for some reason it always stuck to me and I find it quite funny. Daenerys and Jon have alot of back to back chapters, and somewhere in ADwD Jon has a chapter where he is pulling some serious money moves with the Iron Bank representative, and then it cuts to Jon having to tiptoe his way around the Queens Men whilst not giving away that he sent Val on a secret mission to meet with Tormund. Then he has to deal with Alys Karstark turning up at the Wall. . . . Then it cuts to Daenerys' chapter where she is lying in bed, upset that Daario is mad at her for marrying Hizdhar. xD

I love Dany.  Her story is what got me interested in these books.  Her first chapter was powerful to me.  Viserys picked and bullied her into marrying a barbarian.  She earned my respect because most girls would have broken down.  She is a great leader already.  I will use the most cited examples from the fans here:  Leading the khalasar through the Red Waste is a fine example of strong leadership.  It's really her combination of high intelligence, courage, empathy for others who are suffering, and the awesomeness of being a dragon rider.  

3 hours ago, Sigella said:

This is interesting to me, I've never read Jon as dumb or anything but not intelligent either. Whenever brains is needed Jon goes to Samwell or Donal Noye, sort of.

edit: "Why do you read so much?" 

Samwell's absence really hurt Jon.  He might have served the role of voice of reason and talked Jon out of his mission to find his sister.  Bad judgement on Jon's part.  I don't think Jon is dumb.  He's no fool.  But he's also not on the same level as Dany when it comes to brain processing power.  If we are talking about practical intelligence which is common sense they are on equal footing.

4 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

I never felt her more smart than Robb or Jon.Maybe because I'm a Stark fanboy but for me she just had a better lucky then then Robb or Jon.

So you believe she had it easy compared to the boys?  I guess I don't feel the same way.  The boys grew up under the protection of a noble house.  They had instruction in the fighting arts.  Robb was educated for leadership.  Jon never had to go hungry during his childhood years.  The only threat he ever felt came from Catelyn and that was never really dangerous.  Dany on the other hand had to follow her big brother from city to city while he begged for help.  She didn't find her three baby dragons on the side of the road like the Starks did with the wolf pups.  She had to walk through fire to earn them.  

3 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Agree.

Everything that could go wrong for Robb went worse, and Jon had just the same bad lucky.

Dany on the other hand had a lot of good moments, that she was saved by people going against their best interest, like Jorah saving her from the poinsoned wine, when Drogo is "good as dead" Jorah refuses to abadon her and even defended her against a blood riders. Daario also turned his cloack in her favor and killed his leader, and later on she is saved once again by Selmy.

Jon didn't exactly earn his safe job at the wall.  Compared to builder and ranger he had it easy.  Because he is the son of Ned Stark.  Robb got the banners south because he was born with the authority to make them go.  His direwolf, which he didn't earn, took the finger tips from a hesitant bannerman.  Samwell is not necessarily deserving of an easy job either.  He was born into a noble family who sheltered him during his early childhood.  Everybody who is anybody had luck getting there.  That's reality.  

1 hour ago, Josette DuPres said:

So you believe she had it easy compared to the boys?  I guess I don't feel the same way.  The boys grew up under the protection of a noble house.  They had instruction in the fighting arts.  Robb was educated for leadership.  Jon never had to go hungry during his childhood years.  The only threat he ever felt came from Catelyn and that was never really dangerous.  Dany on the other hand had to follow her big brother from city to city while he begged for help.  She didn't find her three baby dragons on the side of the road like the Starks did with the wolf pups.  She had to walk through fire to earn them.  

You are comparing the situation before the books starts. If you comparing childhood than yes she sufered more, but by the time the books started she together with Tyrion is the luckyiest character.

As I pointed out earlier characters went out of they way to help her. She could have died poisoned if wasn't for Jorah, she could have been killed by the blood riders if wasn't for Jorah, in Qarth she was saved by Iliryo sending her his ships, Daario betrayed his captain and joined her, Selmy travaled over a sea to saved her, and in Dance she was saved by Drogo.

Only Tyrion comes close to Daenerys luck.

1 hour ago, Josette DuPres said:

Jon didn't exactly earn his safe job at the wall.  Compared to builder and ranger he had it easy.  Because he is the son of Ned Stark.  Robb got the banners south because he was born with the authority to make them go.  His direwolf, which he didn't earn, took the finger tips from a hesitant bannerman.  Samwell is not necessarily deserving of an easy job either.  He was born into a noble family who sheltered him during his early childhood.  Everybody who is anybody had luck getting there.  That's reality.  

Don't know how this prove that he is lucky... he got betrayed by two of his bannerman, his aunt ignored him, his uncle screwed his plans, his mother started the war, left him to babysit his brothers, than released his biggest hostage...twice, the idiot he proposed a alliance declared war on him, his best friend went out his way to f him over, Winterfell one of the most defensive castles falls to 30 dudes, and this is just the tip of the iceberg... Dolorous Edd would feel lucky compared to this.

47 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

Don't know how this prove that he is lucky... he got betrayed by two of his bannerman, his aunt ignored him, his uncle screwed his plans, his mother started the war, left him to babysit his brothers, than released his biggest hostage...twice, the idiot he proposed a alliance declared war on him, his best friend went out his way to f him over, Winterfell one of the most defensive castles falls to 30 dudes, and this is just the tip of the iceberg... Dolorous Edd would feel lucky compared to this.

Robb made awful decisions and he had very little self-control.  He killed an ally for killing an enemy, which is a very bad political move.  He broke his oaths to an ally who paid dearly to support him.  I say Robb is an incompetent.  

9 hours ago, King_of_Ashes said:

She is literally a bad ruler and an unstable character especially on the show....

She's a great ruler.  Nobody else can do what she's doing to help free people from their masters.  Helping the slaves is the most heroic decision within the pages.  Daenerys has a lot of fans because she is fighting the good fight against some truly bad people.  I like her character.  

3 hours ago, Josette DuPres said:

I love Dany.  Her story is what got me interested in these books.  Her first chapter was powerful to me.  Viserys picked and bullied her into marrying a barbarian.  She earned my respect because most girls would have broken down.  She is a great leader already.  I will use the most cited examples from the fans here:  Leading the khalasar through the Red Waste is a fine example of strong leadership.  It's really her combination of high intelligence, courage, empathy for others who are suffering, and the awesomeness of being a dragon rider.  

Samwell's absence really hurt Jon.  He might have served the role of voice of reason and talked Jon out of his mission to find his sister.  Bad judgement on Jon's part.  I don't think Jon is dumb.  He's no fool.  But he's also not on the same level as Dany when it comes to brain processing power.  If we are talking about practical intelligence which is common sense they are on equal footing.

Dany has definitely had a lot of luck.. the most luck of any character in the books.

3 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

As I pointed out earlier characters went out of they way to help her. She could have died poisoned if wasn't for Jorah, she could have been killed by the blood riders if wasn't for Jorah, in Qarth she was saved by Iliryo sending her his ships, Daario betrayed his captain and joined her, Selmy travaled over a sea to saved her, and in Dance she was saved by Drogo.

And Jon would've been killed by Rattleshirt if Ygritte did not intercede on his behalf. Jon would have died if Aemon did not send word to Malister about Slynt's plan to hang him for being a wildling loving oath-breaker. Was saved by Stannis who had attacked Mance's camp on the exact day Jon was sent to assainate Mamce. And he would have likely been hung if Sam didn't fear-monger to Malister and Pyke with the idea Stannis would appoint the other if they didn't vote for Jon. 

There are plenty of charachters you can point to which have been saved multiple times by others and often owe their advancement entirely to others or chance in general.

Bad way to measure luck. 

5 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

Oh I definitely think Daenerys is smart. I really hate to be that guy, but her getting this far has alot to do with the dragons. I know I know, you use what you have, and Daenerys used them marvelously, but when I look at the two different situations that the two of them are in I cant help but feel Jon is smarter. 

I know what I'm about to say doesn't sum up Daenerys as a whole, but for some reason it always stuck to me and I find it quite funny. Daenerys and Jon have alot of back to back chapters, and somewhere in ADwD Jon has a chapter where he is pulling some serious money moves with the Iron Bank representative, and then it cuts to Jon having to tiptoe his way around the Queens Men whilst not giving away that he sent Val on a secret mission to meet with Tormund. Then he has to deal with Alys Karstark turning up at the Wall. . . . Then it cuts to Daenerys' chapter where she is lying in bed, upset that Daario is mad at her for marrying Hizdhar. xD

Meh, neither of them are dumb imo. They're mistakes come more from arrogance than anything-Jon was arrogant to think he could openly break his oaths, and do his radical policies without some form of violent backlash being a likely possibility-Melisandre herself made note of it, and remarked even she has bodyguards out with at all times-and not adequately preparing the Watch should he die, or thinking he had to(really his plan to war with House Bolton was bad enough but he legitimately was confident he'd suceed) and he makes no effort to actually convince the black brothers on the pureness of his goals.

Daenarys was arrogant to think ruling Mereen could be an easy test run for ruling Westeros-as if the two don't have their own unique problems. 

Its arrogant to suppose radiclly transforming an entire culture of a region  would be easy, and not something that would take a decades of hard work to accomplish.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Meh, neither of them are dumb imo. They're mistakes come more from arrogance than anything-Jon was arrogant to think he could openly break his oaths, and do his radical policies without some form of violent backlash being a likely possibility-Melisandre herself made note of it, and remarked even she has bodyguards out with at all times-and not adequately preparing the Watch should he die, or thinking he had to(really his plan to war with House Bolton was bad enough but he legitimately was confident he'd suceed) and he makes no effort to actually convince the black brothers on the pureness of his goals.

Daenarys was arrogant to think ruling Mereen could be an easy test run for ruling Westeros-as if the two don't have their own unique problems. 

Its arrogant to suppose radiclly transforming an entire culture of a region  would be easy, and not something that would take a decades of hard work to accomplish.

I know, I said both of them where smart. xD

I think sometimes its because they're smart that they get fucked over, their arrogance gets in the way. It doesn't help that they are so young, and know so little of the world. I mean at this point Jon is about 16-17, and Daenerys is about 15-16, and they are expected to lead these groups of people, most of them at least twice their age. 

8 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Robb made awful decisions and he had very little self-control.  He killed an ally for killing an enemy, which is a very bad political move.  He broke his oaths to an ally who paid dearly to support him.  I say Robb is an incompetent.  

Karstark wasn't an ally at that point, he set up his men to loot and pillage the riverlands, he killed Robb soldiers and hostage, he just like Ramsey commited high treason, he also put other northem prisoners in a bad situation since the Lannisters could retaliate. The mistake was to not use him as hostage, but Robb was never pragmatic, and this mistake would not change anything.

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And Jon would've been killed by Rattleshirt if Ygritte did not intercede on his behalf. Jon would have died if Aemon did not send word to Malister about Slynt's plan to hang him for being a wildling loving oath-breaker. Was saved by Stannis who had attacked Mance's camp on the exact day Jon was sent to assainate Mamce. And he would have likely been hung if Sam didn't fear-monger to Malister and Pyke with the idea Stannis would appoint the other if they didn't vote for Jon. 

And I also had this problem with Jon.

14 hours ago, Sigella said:

But it to me it simply can't compete with playing Astapor like Dany did. How she won the Unsullied is pretty much the cleverest move by any character.

The complete idiocy of the masters really helped her in that instance.

I don't doubt Daenerys is smart but I find it very hard to claim she's the best of the "young rulers": people like Margaery or Jon aren't exactly dumb, either.

I love her because she is the leading protagonists in the story.  She helps the weak and punishes the wicked.  Daenerys has the best storyline in the books.  Taken on their own won the author an award.  Her storyline can sell on it's own and people will buy it.  I would not be reading these books if it were not for Daenerys.

6 hours ago, Geddus said:

The complete idiocy of the masters really helped her in that instance.

I don't doubt Daenerys is smart but I find it very hard to claim she's the best of the "young rulers": people like Margaery or Jon aren't exactly dumb, either.

To be fair neither did anyone in her party until she told them.

Never said they were dumb. We don't really know how much of Margaerys guile is her own or whether it originates from Olenna either. Also she drops her act a few times with Cersei when it had been smarter not to. Which are mistakes I doubt Dany would have made.

19 hours ago, EloImFizzy said:

:D 

Unflattering editing aside, I'd never ever would've touched this series if it wasn't for the pure concept "a girl gets the dragons".

Also there is another side to the contrasts between Jon and Danys chapters; I read a Dany chapter and its awesome and she kicks ass wearing silk and jewels, sipping persimmon wine, visiting exotic places and petting her dragons - but then I turn the page and see its a Jon chapter and my heart kind of sinks because I know it will be about the cold, how the wall looks, dirty uncouth Brothers intriguing, ugliness and horrible food and drink. I like glam and Jon aint it.

35 minutes ago, The First Bloodrider said:

The distinction of most luck goes to Sansa and Arya.  

Not being killed after Drogo died, not being taken to Vaes Dothrak, surviving the blood magic ritual to hatch dragons, making it across the red waste, obtaining the Unsullied... Do I have to go on? She has incredible luck.

Archived