Why do people love Dany?

King_of_Ashes

On 9/29/2018 at 1:08 AM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

But could he out sing Rhaegar? the free folk didn't seem overly impressed when Mance was singing in his tent, but then again, what do a bunch of wildlings know of vocal talent? I give Mance a pass for not turning heads when he sang at Winterfell for Bob, I'm sure he didn't want to stand out and draw too much attention to himself in that particular situation.

Rheagar played the harp.  Mance played the lute.  Mance is the bard because the harp is bulky and expensive.  It's not the instrument you expect from a traveling musician.  

On 9/10/2018 at 3:49 PM, Angel Eyes said:

I have two criticisms of Daenerys.

She lumps Ned Stark in with the rest of the "Usurper's Dogs", and doesn't take in the fact that 

• Her father made a mockery of his father and brother's trial, and then called for Ned's head for little reason;
  • Ned protested against the deaths of her sister-in-law, niece and nephew, as for her own assassination;
  • When Barristan protests against her assessment of Ned Stark, she just blows him off. 

She does not know either of the first two points.  All she knows is that Ned Stark was one of the principals in the rebellion that brought down her House and killed most of her family.  If and when she learns the truth she still wants vengeance on Ned's children that will be the time to dislike her.  Right now she's merely misinformed and holding an opinion that is perfectly understandable based on that misinformation.

On 9/11/2018 at 8:40 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He's still cynical in general. His infatuation with Daenarys I always got the feeling it had more to do with her status as a Targyen princess/Queen from the beginning. He did bank-rupt his house to keep his trophy wife and only ditched her when she became a slave(when she finally lost her value). 

IIRC she ran off when Bear Island became too dreary and unbearable to her (no pun intended) and set up as a paramour of one of the Trade Princes in the Free Cities.  Jorah still loved her but he realized she wanted wealth and luxury that he could not provide so he accepted the fact that he could not win her back.  And one of the reasons he fancies Dany is she looks similar to Lynesse.  Poor guy is still deluded and aiming way out of his league.

Found the wiki:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Lynesse_Hightower

2 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

She does not know either of the first two points.  All she knows is that Ned Stark was one of the principals in the rebellion that brought down her House and killed most of her family.  If and when she learns the truth she still wants vengeance on Ned's children that will be the time to dislike her.  Right now she's merely misinformed and holding an opinion that is perfectly understandable based on that misinformation.

Where does she express any desire to have vengeance on Ned’s children? She remarked how she wished she could simply pay Joffrey(from what she knows the son of Robert Baratheon), to give up the throne and go away. The truth at this point really doesn’t matter-Ned and all the wardens who participated in the rebellion are dead, if Daenerys would rather it in her head Ned was absolute scum, it hurts no one to do so. It’s like when Arys Katstark thinking her father did nothing to really earn his execution-at this point does it really matter?

2 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

RC she ran off when Bear Island became too dreary and unbearable to her (no pun intended) and set up as a paramour of one of the Trade Princes in the Free Cities.  Jorah still loved her but he realized she wanted wealth and luxury that he could not provide so he accepted the fact that he could not win her back.  And one of the reasons he fancies Dany is she looks similar to Lynesse.  Poor guy is still deluded and aiming way out of his league.

They abandoned Bear island together. He gave up her.when faced with the ultimatum of trying to getting her back, or going into slavery on account of not being able to pay back his debts, he chose the latter. I wouldn’t call Jorah “poor guy”, his lusts generally hurt others far more than others.

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I wouldn’t call Jorah “poor guy”, his lusts generally hurt others far more than others.

Agreed. The guy is a creep IMO. Trying to convince Dany to take him into her bed and make him her paramour and even randomly kissing her without her permission . He refuses to acknowledge that she doesn't want him sexually and acts as if she owes him since he was with her from the start, even though he was spying on her for the Baratheons/Lannisters. If she excepts him back into her service I hope she makes him Daario's squire/cupbearer to prove he's over his physical obsession with her. Then if Jorah steps out of line Daario can slay the lecher.

56 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Agreed. The guy is a creep IMO. Trying to convince Dany to take him into her bed and make him her paramour and even randomly kissing her without her permission . He refuses to acknowledge that she doesn't want him sexually and acts as if she owes him since he was with her from the start, even though he was spying on her for the Baratheons/Lannisters. If she excepts him back into her service I hope she makes him Daario's squire/cupbearer to prove he's over his physical obsession with her. Then if Jorah steps out of line Daario can slay the lecher.

Jorah is not alone in liking beautiful young girls.  That is common in that world.  Robert was famous for banging underage girls and getting them pregnant.  Then walking away and leaving her to deal with the aftermath.  This is the man that the Starks fought to put on the throne.  And Brandon Stark.  One has to assume that he deflowered a lot of underage peasant girls.  Lysa was underage when she was forced to marry Jon Arryn.  Hoster was not above pushing his own daughter into underage sex.

13 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Where does she express any desire to have vengeance on Ned’s children?

She doesn't.  Ned's dead so the only way we will see if she is vengeful or not is if she takes it out on his children, something I find very unlikely. 

Point remains that she does not know the truth so disliking her for forming a reasonable enough opinion based on misinformation seems harsh.  That's my point to the guy I was quoting.

They abandoned Bear island together. He gave up her.when faced with the ultimatum of trying to getting her back, or going into slavery on account of not being able to pay back his debts, he chose the latter.

He did not have any choice though.  She ran off when he was away and set up with a Lysene merchant prince.  Said prince threatened him with enslavement if he tried to do anything about it and clearly his wife did not want him back.  This is a far cry from "only ditched her when she became a slave(when she finally lost her value). " as it was Lynesse who ditched him when he lost his value to her, i.e. his ability to maintain her in a life of luxury, something she turned to Tregar Ormollen for.  I think you have who abandoned whom backwards here.

I wouldn’t call Jorah “poor guy”, his lusts generally hurt others far more than others.

Oh I don't particularly sympathise with the guy based on his character.  But I can empathise with some schmuck being starstruck by two beautiful women who are far out of his league.  After all you don't choose who you fall for and Jorah's problem is he doesn't just do it the once but twice.  You would think he had learned his lesson the first time but it seems not.  That's all I mean by "poor guy".

On 9/8/2018 at 11:34 AM, King_of_Ashes said:

She is literally a bad ruler and an unstable character especially on the show....

Dany has been a POV character from the first book and has a lot of good qualities, so I'm not surprised people like her. I'm not a big fan personally, but I can see why people would root for her. She generally has good intentions, even if the execution doesn't turn out to be the way she would have wanted(Mereen). 

I don't, she's basically my least favorite character.

As well as all the other Targaryens.

ASOIAF to me is really the story of Starks and Lannisters, it's much more narrow because in principle the series goes to all these other exotic locales, but those are really the parts that seem done properly or well to me.

3 hours ago, norwaywolf123 said:

She is one of the main characters. One of the characters readers have gotten to know the most.

The main character in my opinion.   Martin is a football geek and he will not have a tie at the end of his books.  I'm on team fire.  

Archived