Who was the best hand of the king in the history of westeros?

aventador577

2 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

Viserys as Hand:

Aegon III 136-157

Daeron I 157-161

Baelor 161-171

Looks like 35 years to me.

We are told that Tywin was the youngest Hand so Viserys could not have been Hand to his older brother in 136 as he would only have been 14. 

Given we are told that Viseys only became Hand in the last years of Aegon's life suggests that it was much shorter than 35 years. 

His might have been a very different reign were it not for that one flaw in him—his coldness when it came to those he ruled. His brother, Prince Viserys—who in his last years served as his Hand—had the gift of charm, 

40 minutes ago, M.Alhazred said:

BloodRaven.He did put down several of the Blackfyre rebellions.

We see in Dunk and Egg one of the reasons there was support for the Blackfyre pretenders was because of the rule of Bloodraven. Had there been a better Hand, someone who did not ignore the troubles in the land, there may have been no support. 

"Myself, I blame Bloodraven," Ser Kyle went on. "He is the King's Hand, yet he does nothing, whilst the krakens spread flame and terror up and down the sunset sea." Ser Maynard gave a shrug. "His eye is fixed on Tyrosh, where Bittersteel sits in exile, plotting with the sons of Daemon Blackfyre. So he keeps the king's ships close at hand, lest they attempt to cross."
"Aye, that may well be," Ser Kyle said, "but many would welcome the return of Bittersteel. Bloodraven is the root of all our woes, the white worm gnawing at the heart of the realm."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The realm was full of lawless men these days. The drought showed no signs of ending, and smallfolk by the thousands had taken to the roads, looking for someplace where the rains still fell. Lord Bloodraven had commanded them to return to their own lands and lords, but few obeyed. Many blamed Bloodraven and King Aerys for the drought.

The realm was in a bad state under Bloodraven, it is hard to call him the greatest when the realm was so troubled and he did so little to remedy the problems, instead being consumed by the need to beat Bittersteel.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:34 AM, Josette DuPres said:

The right Hand for the right occasion.  The times he is living in give the Hand the opportunity to be great.  Tywin was very capable but the realm was at peace.  He didn't get the chance to shine.  

Keeping the realm peaceful and prosperous was Tywin shining. Aerys was a nutjob who wanted war, while Tywin was in power he managed to reign him in. Look at how quickly things escalated when he was out of office.  

4 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

We see in Dunk and Egg one of the reasons there was support for the Blackfyre pretenders was because of the rule of Bloodraven. Had there been a better Hand, someone who did not ignore the troubles in the land, there may have been no support. 

The realm was in a bad state under Bloodraven, it is hard to call him the greatest when the realm was so troubled and he did so little to remedy the problems, instead being consumed by the need to beat Bittersteel.

While there is truth to that, you have to consider that this is just the state of affairs in 211 AC, prior to the Second Blackfyre Rebellion. It does not take into account the years 212-233 AC.

I'm with you that Bloodraven being Hand did not help to settle the Blackfyre issue peacefully, but it is also clear that the problem of the reign of King Aerys I is not Bloodraven but King Aerys I, who was seen as bookish, aloof, uncaring, and weak. Without a Hand as strong and competent as Bloodraven the Targaryen dynasty might have crumbled during his reign.

But Bloodraven's focus on the Blackfyres and Bittersteel is clearly also part of the reason why I'd not count him among the great Hands. A great Hand would have been able to forge a lasting peace, and would have prevented the Third Blackfyre Rebellion.

It was a very great achievement how he bloodlessly dealt with Daemon II, though. That was a masterpiece, even without Dunk & Egg stumbling into the whole thing.

4 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Keeping the realm peaceful and prosperous was Tywin shining. Aerys was a nutjob who wanted war, while Tywin was in power he managed to reign him in. Look at how quickly things escalated when he was out of office.  

Aerys II wasn't a nutjob who wanted war. There was one issue with Braavos which could have lead to war, but that's it. The later Aerys didn't want to go to war with anyone.

Archived