Question about the Red Wedidng

LHakaLH

So I’m rereading SoS and just finished the Red Wedding chapter; still as hard to read after all these years. Something I noticed is that most men leave to attend Roslin and Edmure’s bedding cermeony, but not Robb:

As man and maid were carried from the hall, a trail of clothing behind them, Catelyn saw that Robb had also remained. Walder Frey was prickly enough to see some insult to his daughter in that. He should join in Roslin’s bedding, but is it my place to tell him so? She tensed, until she saw that others had stayed as well.

What would have happened had Robb joined the others on the bedding ceremony? Would the Freys have openly pushed him back inside the feast hall? Could have changed everything.

What do you think?

43 minutes ago, LHakaLH said:

What would have happened had Robb joined the others on the bedding ceremony?

That may have been the plan at the outset and they wanted to attack him in the confined space of the corridor on the way to the bedding chamber, but the primary assassins had to stick by Robb and he stayed in the feast hall. You have to admit it was all a little messy. I think Roose Bolton had a slicker plan that went awry, but I might be reading too much into it.

"It was to be an arrow, at Edmure Tully's wedding feast. The boy was too wary in the field. He kept his men in good order, and surrounded himself with outriders and bodyguards."

The plan was never for Robb to participate in the bedding ceremony. I suspect he would have wanted to participate, but was dissuaded by some Frey. Had he gone ahead anyway, one of two things would have happened:

1. Walder throws a hissy fit, and Robb, ever the gent, back down. He gets murdered in the feast hall.
  2. Robb is all like 'I'm the king' and participates anyway. They murder him there.

I think the result would have been kind of the same. If I remember correctly the Freys imprisoned Edmure (after atleast some kind of bedding was done). They probably would have just imprisoned (or killed) Robb as well.  

The goal was to get Roslyn and the women to safety before the attack takes place.  Somebody would intervene to hold Robb from going to the bedding.  The feast hall was the killing box.  Besides, it would be awkward for Robb to join the bedding ceremony when it was supposed to be him.  Walder expected Robb to decline the bedding.  

It probably wouldn't have mattered where. The Frey's and Roose would have had contingency plans in place depending on what Robb decided to do. They would have let him follow through on that decision to avoid tipping their hand. As far as having archers in the balcony, Robb was only one targets, and as mentioned some of the other guests stayed in the hall just waiting to be killed.

Thing that bothers me about the RW they murder numerous Northern lords including Darcey Mormont and lil Jon Umber and Manderlys son but they spare the Great Jon who I believe even managed to kill a Frey with a fork or bite an ear off I cant remember. Why spare him but not Darcey? Is it because GJ is the actual lord of Last Hearth or what? 

7 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Thing that bothers me about the RW they murder numerous Northern lords including Darcey Mormont and lil Jon Umber and Manderlys son but they spare the Great Jon who I believe even managed to kill a Frey with a fork or bite an ear off I cant remember. Why spare him but not Darcey? Is it because GJ is the actual lord of Last Hearth or what? 

Luck.  They managed to take down the Greatjon before they had to kill him.  

21 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

The Greatjon, Patrek Mallister, and Marq Piper leave the hall for the bedding of Edmure and Roslin, so they are more easily overwhelmed and taken captive. The nobles remaining in the hall are massacred. 

1 hour ago, Nittanian said:

The Greatjon, Patrek Mallister, and Marq Piper leave the hall for the bedding of Edmure and Roslin, so they are more easily overwhelmed and taken captive. The nobles remaining in the hall are massacred. 

Ok thank you that makes a lot more sense if he wasnt in the great hall with Robb otherwise it looks stupid that the biggest guy in the room who is also trying to kill Freys survives lol. 

They say Robert Baratheon was as good as dead once he went hunting in the Kingswood. It would've been an accident, the boar was just a welcome opportunity for Lancel (and other potential culprits). If it failed, he could still fall from his horse, drown etc.

The same applies for Robb, even to a greater degree, I think. There were dozens of Freys conspiring to kill him, so if he left the great hall, they'd kill him elsewhere using any means necessary. At best, he would earn an hour more, I'd say.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:53 PM, LHakaLH said:

So I’m rereading SoS and just finished the Red Wedding chapter; still as hard to read after all these years. Something I noticed is that most men leave to attend Roslin and Edmure’s bedding cermeony, but not Robb:

As man and maid were carried from the hall, a trail of clothing behind them, Catelyn saw that Robb had also remained. Walder Frey was prickly enough to see some insult to his daughter in that. He should join in Roslin’s bedding, but is it my place to tell him so? She tensed, until she saw that others had stayed as well.

What would have happened had Robb joined the others on the bedding ceremony? Would the Freys have openly pushed him back inside the feast hall? Could have changed everything.

What do you think?

Likely they wanted Robb to go and take part to see what he missed out on by being wed to J. Westerling. 

Robb doesn't join in, and hence why Cat thinks it is an insult to his daughter. Another prime example of the King in the North thinking he is too good for the Freys. Likely him going would have only delayed the time the slaughter started. Once he was back they would have started the killing. They might have even had cleaner shots if Robb led the way back to the hall. 

On 9/8/2018 at 7:42 PM, Trefayne said:

That may have been the plan at the outset and they wanted to attack him in the confined space of the corridor on the way to the bedding chamber, but the primary assassins had to stick by Robb and he stayed in the feast hall. You have to admit it was all a little messy. I think Roose Bolton had a slicker plan that went awry, but I might be reading too much into it.

I think Walder wanted him to die from the sight of Edmure's rampant manhood

Archived