US Politics: Donnie and the Mystery of the Anonymous Op-Ed

davos

And here we go again.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/6/17826566/conservatives-disavow-trump

The real message of the anonymous senior official’s odd Trump-bashing op-ed in the New York Times is that the Republican rehabilitation cycle that resuscitated the party from the presidency of George W. Bush has already begun.

The author senses that Donald Trump is going down and is laying the groundwork to prevent conservatism from going down with him.

Immigrants, employment, wages, upward mobility, it's all in this story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/08/business/economy/harvard-living-wage.html

Harvard Is Vaulting Workers Into the Middle Class With High Pay. Can Anyone Else Follow Its Lead

. . . . Ms. Bonilla’s job with Restaurant Associates is to make breakfast and lunch for executives pursuing extension courses at Harvard Business School. At the university, service workers on the payroll of an outside contractor earn the same pay and benefits they would get as direct university employees — including health insurance and pension benefits, paid vacation and child care assistance.. . .

Even if the goal is laudable — lifting workers from the bottom of the labor market into the middle class, stimulating the economy and pushing against the country’s widening wage inequality — Mr. Summers noted that policies like these “make it more expensive to do the things you do.” Setting too high a pay floor could force businesses to hire fewer people, making many worse off.

Still, some 45 million Americans work in low-end service jobs — personal care aides, cooks, janitors, sales reps — typically earning less than $30,000 a year. By 2026, the government projects, the number will be 50 million. Outsourcing is one of the main dynamics keeping their wages down, and the Harvard experiment is a useful case study of how institutions can use their clout to force a remedy.

Recent research by economists at four top universities and the Social Security Administration concluded that the parceling out of less-skilled work to low-wage contractors — Goldman Sachs outsourcing its janitorial services, say, or Apple contracting out the assembly of its iPhones to Foxconn — could account for around one-third of the increase of wage inequality in the United States since 1980. . . .

28 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I’m waiting for the usual “We need to get back to the values of Ronald Reagan blah, blah.”

These guys have made an amateur sport out of name dropping Reagan for years. Notice that there’s not a peep these days.

More regarding current employment numbers and numbers of workers available:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/upshot/jobs-report-economy-needs-workers.html?

.... The share of those 25 to 54 working, 79.3 percent in August, is the same as it was in February. A spike in that level in July wasn’t sustained last month.

Ultimately, if the economy is going to keep adding 200,000 jobs a month and grow at the kind of boom-time pace that was evident this past spring, it will need a growing work force to fill those jobs and make those goods and services. There’s not too much evidence that there are in fact hordes of younger people currently on the sidelines of the labor market who might soon be coaxed back in.

Which brings us to the wage numbers. It’s good news that average hourly earnings are up 2.9 percent over the last year, a sign that employers are having to boost pay to keep good employees (or pay more to poach them from competitors).

Wage gains would still need to accelerate further to get to the kinds of levels that are historically normal; in 2008, for example, the year the recession began, average hourly earnings rose 3.6 percent.

But the fact that higher pay raises are finally showing up in the data is another piece of evidence that employers are coming up against the limits of the labor force. Just maybe, after years of trying every recruitment technique other than raising hourly pay, employers are starting to turn more to that option.

In other words, the labor market could finally be so tight that employers just don’t have a choice if they want to attract and retain workers....

35 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I’m waiting for the usual “We need to get back to the values of Ronald Reagan blah, blah.”

These guys have made an amateur sport out of name dropping Reagan for years. Notice that there’s not a peep these days.

If they don't like the President, they should win an election. I thought that was the official position of Graham.

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Oh don't worry that's coming.

I can just see the next Republican convention:

Okay, guys, no more fuckin' around. This time were going to get real conservative.

And were not kiddin. 

Were going to get serious this time.

And we mean it.

I can perhaps be a bit forgiving when somebody plays with matches and and can of jet fuel and burns their fingers in the process and burns of everyone else.

It's a bit harder to be forgiving, when they don't learn their lesson.

Conservatives who try to start up with this garbage need to be taken out to the woodshed.

Yglesias is right. While the last two Democratic Presidents weren't perfect,, they were basically decent and competent presidents, while the Republican Party has managed to give us two flaming disasters of presidents within a generation, and then when it becomes apparent they were disasters they do:

1. Its liberals fault for making us dumb!

2. Uh no, wait, it's Obama's fault

3. But, but, he didn't do the true conservatism (of course this always comes after conservatives ardently supported the person who allegedly didn't do the true conservatism).

Most infuriating of all is they will probably get away with this garbage. 

When you're a star, they just let you do it.

Pence: I’d Take Lie Detector Test to Prove Trump Loyalty

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pence-id-take-lie-detector-test-to-prove-trump-loyalty?ref=home

Vice President Mike Pence says he’d have no problem taking a lie detector test to prove he isn’t part of an anti-Trump “resistance” in the administration. In an interview with Fox News Sunday, Pence said he’d agree to take a polygraph test “in a heartbeat and would submit to any review the administration wanted to do.”

Paronto, who worked for the CIA during the Benghazi attacks, lashed out at the former president for suggesting that the Republican investigation into Benghazi had been politically motivated.
“It’s disgusting,” Paronto said of Obama’s campaign speeches. “It just raises the bile inside of me. I had a hard tim just watching the speeches. I just wanted to see what he had to say. And when that came across, I just wanted to reach through the screen and just grab him — grab him and choke him.”

“That’s a narcissist for you,” he continued. “He caters to the easily manipulated and I can’t just sit by and not do anything about it, not say something strongly against it. Because honestly, the man is a disgrace, just a complete disgrace.”

Paronto added: “It’s completely offensive and I wish I had that man sitting in front of me right now without his Secret Service.”

The former CIA contractor smacked his hands together as he threatened Obama.
“We’ll be careful with that,” Hegseth warned. “Because he’s a former president.”

Fox News Host Warns Benghazi Pundit to 'Be Careful' After He Threatens to ‘Choke’ Former President Barack Obama
Former CIA contractor Kris Paronto also called Barack Obama a "narcissist."

https://www.alternet.org/fox-news-host-warns-benghazi-pundit-be-careful-after-he-threatens-choke-former-president-barack

10 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Fox News Host Warns Benghazi Pundit to 'Be Careful' After He Threatens to ‘Choke’ Former President Barack Obama

https://www.alternet.org/fox-news-host-warns-benghazi-pundit-be-careful-after-he-threatens-choke-former-president-barack

What happened to conservative civility concern trolling?

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Are we allowed to punch a Nazi that wants to murder a former President?

It's been my experience that Republicans typically take a keen interest in civility once you call them on their Ted Nugent tough guy act bullshit.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Calling Obama a "narcissist" is nothing new. People on the right have been doing that ever since 2008. 

http://www.faithfreedom.org/obama.html

Archived