Horror - As the days get shorter

RedEyedGhost

Not having much time to read these days ( and the horror genre is generally not my favorite) I have been listening to episodes of the Lore podcast as a replacement. I wish I would have learned of it sooner. The stories, while not all scary or creepy, are all fascinating and the podcast is the perfect listen for October and Halloween. Aaron Mahnke does a fantastic job as the writer and host. https://www.lorepodcast.com/about

On 10/10/2018 at 7:22 PM, Isis said:

I don't think that The Library at Mount Char is horror. It's fantasy. Weird that it's on that list really.

I've been reading horror for forty years, and if this book isn't horror, then I don't know what is. I mean, put yourself in poor old Steve's shoes. Pretty damn horrific what happens to him, don't you think?

• 3 months later...

If you guys liked Twilight Eyes, you should read some more of Dean Koontz's older stuff! You never hear it mentioned but The Mask is one of the most terrifying books I've ever read — just really well-constructed, classic horror. (Though to be fair, I read it when I was twelve, so might have been more susceptible to it then lol.)

Here's another list of 100 best horror books for those looking to branch out. The Mask and a few other lesser-known but really amazing horror books are on there too

16 hours ago, diamonddeck said:

Here's another list of 100 best horror books for those looking to branch out. The Mask and a few other lesser-known but really amazing horror books are on there too

Cool. I love a book list. I've read 29/100 on there. Most of those I genuinely enjoyed. Except for Feed (huge let down), Zone One (which I have mixed feelings about as it fell between horror and lit fic), Broken Monsters (again, lots of hype and comparisons to better books) and The Historian (lol was there a single person on this board who didn't find it poor at the time it was released?).

There are a number of books on that list which were already near the top of my to read list: Rebecca, Interview with a Vampire, Books of Blood, Beloved, Come Closer, Mongrels, Dread Nation, Dark Matter, and The Hunger. So this is a good kick up the backside for me to push those up my list.

Also Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger - frankly, I wouldn't have touched anything else by this author without a strong recommendation. I don't really feel that TTW qualifies as anything other than a romance...

ETA: oops just bought three of these. Have been meaning to read The Hunger for ages. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there was a horror thread in these parts. I’ve been reading(and listening)to a bunch of them lately and have had mixed luck. 

I just finished one called The Anomaly that I really liked. Good character development and I enjoyed the ending. 

I tried World War Z again and I just have to accept that I don’t really care for it. It’s a clever idea but wish there was more to it, or something.

A Head Full of Ghosts was very good(pretty sure @RedEyedGhost recommended it) and lived up to the hype. I then read another Tremblay one, The Cabin at the End of the World, but didn’t like this one as much. It dragged at times and I kind of just wanted it to end.

The Outsider was good, but it is a King novel. The first half was really good but dipped a little down the stretch. 

I’ve also been meaning to read The Hunger. I almost bought it multiple times but just never did. 

• 6 months later...

Anybody have any new great horror books that I should give a look to this autumn?  

Paul Tremblay's 2018 Bram Stoker winner is likely a sure thing - The Cabin at the End of the World.

And I've already purchased The Hunger by Alma Katsu, which should work well for late October, early November.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 5:40 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Anybody have any new great horror books that I should give a look to this autumn?  

Paul Tremblay's 2018 Bram Stoker winner is likely a sure thing - The Cabin at the End of the World.

And I've already purchased The Hunger by Alma Katsu, which should work well for late October, early November.

I liked The Hunger but I didn't love it. I wanted a bit more from it, but I felt like it was holding back. 

The Cabin at the end of the World - has been my least favourite Tremblay. And I'd recommend anything else by him first. 

I am definitely in the market for seasonal spooky reads. I'll take a look at what I've read since this time last year and come back with some suggestions. 

@Mandyrecently posed a query to a group of us regarding ghost stories for her book club. My recommendations: 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/may/16/top-10-unconventional-ghosts-in-literature

From this list, Daphne du Maurier’s titular character of Rebecca; the Misfit in O’Connor’s A Good Man is Hard to Find; Beloved in Toni Morrison’s book of the same name. Also possibilities from my own list: Henry James, The Turn of the Screw; George Saunders, Lincoln in the Bardo; Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward; so much by Nathaniel Hawthorne, including the House of the Seven Gables; almost anything by Edgar Allan Poe; Hamlet. 

I really must read Rebecca and Beloved one day. Maybe I'll even do one of them for this spooky season.

From last year's list of reading I would recommend:

A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge

The Beast is an Animal by Peternelle van Arsdale

In the Mean Time by Paul Tremblay

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost done reading Perez-Reverte's Club Dumas.  This book is not outright horror but it does touch on the supernatural and has a general sinister tone.  It's about a man trying to verify the authenticity of a very rare book on the occult. 

On 10/4/2019 at 5:59 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Yes. Pretty sure I discussed it here in a thread. (I don't post in the reading thread here now - are we GR friends?)

The book has a decent premise but it rapidly goes downhill and is frankly misogynistic in multiple ways. So I'd say, don't bother. 

On 10/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, Isis said:

Yes. Pretty sure I discussed it here in a thread. (I don't post in the reading thread here now - are we GR friends?)

The book has a decent premise but it rapidly goes downhill and is frankly misogynistic in multiple ways. So I'd say, don't bother. 

Aww, yep, should have looked back at the previous page.  Nothing flattering about that book at all on that page.  Will definitely be a pass on that one.

So while I was preparing for the baby I listened to the entirety of The Dark Tower while remodeling the house over 3 months.  That also meant that for the last christmas and birthday I received an ungodly amount of Steven King books as gifts.  So for this October I'm reading the brick It while I wait for the 2nd movie to come out on video.  So far, so good.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, Isis said:

The Beast is an Animal by Peternelle van Arsdale

Decided to start things off with this one.  It sounds fantastic!

On 10/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, aceluby said:

So for this October I'm reading the brick It while I wait for the 2nd movie to come out on video.  So far, so good.

One of these years I will get around to reading It...

I am generally not a horror reader, but do love the works of T. Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon).

The Twisted Ones is definitely worth checking out. A book in the supernatural-world-is-out-there style horror.

Archived