Is it weird that Ashara Dayne is only character to commit suicide in asoiaf series?

Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn

I think it has to do with GRRM probably not being interested in writing about characters likely to kill themselves.  Although we have seen characters commit suicidal acts in pursuit of a larger objective.  Examples include Syrio Forel, Qhorin Halfhand (and the rest of his men), and Arys Oakheart.

It should also be noted that there are serious questions about whether or not Ashara Dayne actually committed suicide, or even attempted to do so.

Don't loads of people go to the House of Black and White to commit suicide? 

I imagine loads of people commit suicide, but they are mostly unimportant peasants. Ashara Dayne is probably a big source of gossip, she was considered one of the most beautiful women in Westeros, rumored to have slept with a Stark, and some believe her to be Jon Snow's mother. 

There is also talk in ADwD about old men who 'go out to hunt' in the depths of winter.

"The old men gather up what strength remains in them and announce that they are going hunting. Some are found come spring. More are never seen again.” ADwD p. 657

In others words, "I am just going outside and may be some time."

1 hour ago, Kandrax said:

None these events are comparable to Ashara since no one of them killed himself out of despair

That's a pretty restrictive definition of suicide. 

Offing yourself is offing yourself at the end of the day.

Also Beric choosing to revive Cat seems to in part have been driven out of despair for how awful his pseudo-life was.

2 hours ago, Kandrax said:

None these events are comparable to Ashara since no one of them killed himself out of despair.

The OP never mentioned the despair restriction, just suicide. I gave 5 examples of suicide apart from Ashara's. Others have mentioned the deaths in the House of Black and White and the "go hunting" suicides. There are plenty of references to suicides in the series.

47 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

That's a pretty restrictive definition of suicide. 

Offing yourself is offing yourself at the end of the day.

Also Beric choosing to revive Cat seems to in part have been driven out of despair for how awful his pseudo-life was.

I like to believe that Beric was trying to keep his promise to Arya

We have different motivations for suicide. 

Sacrificing themselves to achieve some goal - Beric, Qhorin, old men hunting. 

Escaping worse fate - slaves in Valyrian mines, House of Black and White, Cersei with Illyn Paine during the battle... 

Madness - Aerion drinking wildfire. 

No way out situation - Arys Oakheart. 

Suicide that is actually no suicide - Jahaera.

And then there is guilt. 

Helaena Targaryen, who has to choose which of her children would be killed. 

Remember Sophie's Choice? 

What if Ashara has to choose, too?

Archived