Robb Stark

Sir Tywin

I'd rather ask this question in the context of Wyllas and especially Edmure - as others noted before.

Ned Stark wasn't as obssessed with beneficial side of marriages as Hoster Tully or Walder Frey. It's probable he didn't even consider Robb's future marriage seriously at that point, the boy was just 15.

This is easily one of the most fun marriage to think about. You have to wonder what Ned would have done. I think that at this current point in westerosi history the tyrells would have married marg to Robb in a heartbeat. The starks at the beginning of the story are easily one of the 3 most powerful families in the realm. The lord of winterfell at this moment is the best friend and considered brother of the king. His wife is a Tully of riverun. Last he is one of the most respected and feared Battle commanders in the realm that can undisputedly call on all his bannermen without any holding back. Most likely the other realms he's close to as well. I think mace tyrell would love to include himself in on that bandwagon. Plus it may not be a current monarch but his grandson would rule one of the most prestigious families and castles ever.

11 hours ago, The_Eagle_Lord19 said:

You have to wonder what Ned would have done.

Well as I see it he had three categories of potential brides for Robb:

Northern bides: It is mentioned several times that the lord of the North are grumbling about all of the loosing out of marrying the previous generations of Starks so they'd want in now. So Marderly, Karstark and the like. Honestly this is what I think Ned was going to end up with assuming there wasn't a major calamity in the south.

Rebel brides: This would be to shore up the loyalty of some southern House that was loyal to Robert during the rebellion. Of the top of my head the only examples I can come up with is Shireen but I don't know if Stannis would be interested in that. Myrcella would also belong to this category but with the Stark-Lannister relations being what they are I don't see Ned pushing for a match like this.

Heal-the-realm brides: Marry into one of the Houses that remained loyal to the Targs to shift their loyalties and to show the realm that the world is moving on from the Targs. So Arianne, Margaery and the daughter of any loyalist Storm/River/Vale-lord would belong here. I don't think need would seek out a match like this but if Jon Arryn foisted in on him Ned would have a hard time saying no.

On 9/10/2018 at 6:43 PM, Sir Tywin said:

Anyone know why he was never betrothed before the war started? He was of old enough to be and or possibly married, heir to the north and has strong family ties to the Riverlands and to the Vale (to a small extent) he should’ve had multiple offers. 

Even if Ned couldn’t have arranged a betrothal to a family like the Tyrells, I’m sure there are other strong families in other regions that he could’ve arranged. 

Or did he and I am just not remembering?

Robb is 14 at the beginning of ASOIAF. He isn't even considered to be a man at that point as he doesn't carry a blade. He starts later on, once he assumes the role of Lord of Winterfell. 

Additionally any betrothal has to be of strategic importance. Ned's marriage to Cat might be muddying up that notion. First, if you look at the family tree in the World of Ice and Fire, you will notice the Stark's have often married with other Northern houses. Thus helping to secure their hold over the north and foster loyalty.

Cat however, being from the Riverlands, and daughter of Hoster Tully likely would want a union with a greater house such as House Martel or House Tyrell. In the chapter where Robb returns with Jayne Westerling she wishes to herself that if Robb had to get married for love it would have been far better if it was to Margaery Tyrell. Highgarden would have brought a lot more wealth and a far stronger alliance than House Westerling or some Northern House.

So while there was nothing set into motion, it is clear that it was on Cat's mind at some point. 

On 9/11/2018 at 2:21 AM, Ylath's Snout said:

That match would be dynastically kind of a mess. Both of them are first-in-line heirs to their respective kingdoms so either they would have to make some kind of pact to sort out claims and what kingdom they would rule. (Commuting to/from the North to Dorne and vice versa trying to rule both seems like a "tiny" stretch.) Whoever wound up on the opposite end of the continent would have to do a great deal of adjusting to the culture and climate.

That said both of them are lookers that like good looking people so assume there would be an attraction. If them question ever came up I think they would reach an agreement on how to deal with a bastard as Robb's shame over Jon's treatment might make him amicable to Arianne pushing for a Dorning treatment of any bastard.

The two big sticking-points I suspect would be if Arianne wanted to take paramour, I think Robb would have a hard time swallowing that idea.

Also how would they react to Maybegon and/or Dany showing up? Arianne would have some familial obligations to Aegon if he is who he says he is buuuut on the other hand there would be all that Targ-Stark baggage mucking things up.

Paper-Rock-Scissors is the obvious solution here.

Archived