Aurane Waters in WoW

What does everyone think about Aurane Waters and where he will end up in the next book? 

Options I can think of are:

- Joining Dany

-Being a pirate

-Joining Aegon

-Joining Stannis

-Simply being a pirate

-Not being featured much more in the story.

-Something else?

I am inclined towards him joining either Dany or Aegon due to his Valyrian heritage.

There was that "prophecy" by Patchface:

"I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."

Seahorses are the sigil of House Velaryon, and mermaids are the sigil of House Manderly. Both of these men have their own fleets. I think that Aurane will join with Daenerys, and eventually Jon and Daenerys are going to come together to fight the Others, which means that both fleets would come together. 

Of course you have to take this with a grain of salt, prophecies are a fickle bitch. xD

The fact that he is referred to as a "pirate king" made me think he isn't seeking to kneel to anyone. I think he'll try to become the new King of the Stepstones (this title was introduced to us in The Rogue Prince so it wouldn't be shocking to see it return) with all the military turmoil that is to come, but I can't see any of the potential monarchs tolerating that. 

If he allies with anyone, I would guess it would be Euron, he seems the most likely to agree to let him occupy the Stepstones (it goes without saying the Euron would only be seeking to use and dispose of him).

I see him being more a pain/complication than a major player. Maybe everyone will be like "will Dany attack Aegon, Kings Landing, Euron or Stannis?" and she'll pick option E, destroy Aurane's fleet in a surprise dragonfire attack, and use the Stepstones as a base of operation. 

If nothing else, I do think it's endearing that George is still willing to add further complications to the military situation at the end of Dance. Whatever complaints fans may have, there is nothing predictable about what is going to happen. I haven't even seen anyone attempt a full theory about the upcoming war, it's almost impossible beyond just making up a fan fiction, there are too many moving parts.

I can definitely see him going over to Aegon. the Golden Company were dropped off unceremoniously by the Volantenes as they needed to get back to Volantis quickly for the election and incoming shit-storm (war).  Which means they need their own fleet.

Varys machinations could well be behind Aurane Waters power playing so theres possible collusion there

Stannis is a hard sonofabitch and has no lands or titles to give him..that and i doubt he'd want to head North now that it's winter. All he did for him was have his brother burn alive on his ship in the Blackwater

Dany is half a world a way & he's still in the Stepstones

i don't think Euron is on Aurane's radar and vice versa

Since he's bedded down in the Stepstones he could be part of the Dornish Master Plan & is buying his time until Doran has all his intel / information

11 hours ago, mankytoes said:

The fact that he is referred to as a "pirate king" made me think he isn't seeking to kneel to anyone. I think he'll try to become the new King of the Stepstones (this title was introduced to us in The Rogue Prince so it wouldn't be shocking to see it return) with all the military turmoil that is to come, but I can't see any of the potential monarchs tolerating that. 

Lord of the Tides could be his goal, like Allyn (Oakenfist) Velaryon.  In the time of  and more after the dance of the dragons he has the best fleet and was the greatest pirate, maybe the best pirate ever! Auran has 3 choices Stannis (his lord), Dany or Aegon. In the dance they choose for a family were they could marry in. Aurane aims high said Cersei, so my guess he would go for Dany and ask her to marry him, if she refuse he could always be ending with either Stannis or Aegon. The Velaryon supports "the Queen" in the dance so i think he also will go for the queen against the younger targaryan male!

On 9/11/2018 at 6:14 PM, EloImFizzy said:

Seahorses are the sigil of House Velaryon, and mermaids are the sigil of House Manderly. Both of these men have their own fleets. I think that Aurane will join with Daenerys, and eventually Jon and Daenerys are going to come together to fight the Others, which means that both fleets would come together. 

Of course you have to take this with a grain of salt, prophecies are a fickle bitch. xD

Seashells are the sigil of house westerling, so maybe the manderlings and velaryons will end up together bringing Jeyne Westerling and her baby to the Northern throne. Manderlings and Velaryons could after this book both be in Stannis his camp. I dont see the velaryons choosing another party than the Targaryans, Baretheons or Arryns.

13 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

He is a wildcard.

Heritage doesn't mean anything. He'll join anyone he shares interest with. The man is twice a turncloak. I think he'd prefer not to side with anyone anymore, if it depends on him.

I understand what you mean, but i think he is the same bastard as Alyn oakenfist and he was a pirate, but he was also very proud on his family name and was also very important to the iron throne. So being a pirate does not mean only a savage. I count velaryons, tyrells, tarly and more of that kind of houses no truncloacks, because they always fight for their lords till the end of the war, only when their lords are dead or imprisoned they bow to the new ruler. Other houses are switching much more often.

53 minutes ago, Seaserpent said:

I understand what you mean, but i think he is the same bastard as Alyn oakenfist and he was a pirate, but he was also very proud on his family name and was also very important to the iron throne. So being a pirate does not mean only a savage. I count velaryons, tyrells, tarly and more of that kind of houses no truncloacks, because they always fight for their lords till the end of the war, only when their lords are dead or imprisoned they bow to the new ruler. Other houses are switching much more often.

I get that he didn't have much choice, just stating the facts that count in that society, no matter how limited this society is. I'd happily betray Cersei if I could get away with it. 

On 9/11/2018 at 12:14 PM, EloImFizzy said:

The Patchface prophecy has to be it, what else could the seahorse represent?

On 9/15/2018 at 6:13 AM, lrresistable said:

I can definitely see him going over to Aegon. the Golden Company were dropped off unceremoniously by the Volantenes as they needed to get back to Volantis quickly for the election and incoming shit-storm (war).  Which means they need their own fleet.

Varys machinations could well be behind Aurane Waters power playing so theres possible collusion there

Stannis is a hard sonofabitch and has no lands or titles to give him..that and i doubt he'd want to head North now that it's winter. All he did for him was have his brother burn alive on his ship in the Blackwater

Dany is half a world a way & he's still in the Stepstones

i don't think Euron is on Aurane's radar and vice versa

Since he's bedded down in the Stepstones he could be part of the Dornish Master Plan & is buying his time until Doran has all his intel / information

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. He's charmed Cersei, it might well be that someone told him how to do that, probably someone who knows how infatuated she was/is with Rhaegar, as his Valyrian features are noted. Varys would be a strong possibility. 

This makes a lot of sense, Varys has tricked Cersei into spending a fortune building Aegon some awesome ships. Aurane pretends to go pirate, maybe even indicates he's on someone else's side, then launches a surprise strike in favour of Aegon when the time is right. And then, as you say, Aegon has a fleet for transportation. 

I'd say that's now my top guess. 

On 9/15/2018 at 12:26 PM, Seaserpent said:

Lord of the Tides could be his goal, like Allyn (Oakenfist) Velaryon.  In the time of  and more after the dance of the dragons he has the best fleet and was the greatest pirate, maybe the best pirate ever! Auran has 3 choices Stannis (his lord), Dany or Aegon. In the dance they choose for a family were they could marry in. Aurane aims high said Cersei, so my guess he would go for Dany and ask her to marry him, if she refuse he could always be ending with either Stannis or Aegon. The Velaryon supports "the Queen" in the dance so i think he also will go for the queen against the younger targaryan male!

You say he was a pirate, but he was loyal to the crown, right? So more of a privateer. Lord of the Tides is very achievable, that's just head of House Velaryon, right? The current Lord is a child. I don't think he can back Stannis as he'd have to displace/kill a loyal supporter of his. 

9 hours ago, mankytoes said:

You say he was a pirate, but he was loyal to the crown, right? So more of a privateer. Lord of the Tides is very achievable, that's just head of House Velaryon, right? The current Lord is a child. I don't think he can back Stannis as he'd have to displace/kill a loyal supporter of his. 

I dont know exactly what you mean. Do you mean he has to kill the current lord first? I dont say he is lord of the tides yet, but that he wants to become it and archive something. Now he is a pirate and i think he follows the way like Alyn Oeakenfist starting as a pirate to make name as he is still a bastard. After he will gives his service away to a king of queen and i think he will conquer for that (queen) the Velaryon house and will kill than the former lord of the tide. Aurene controls teh stepstones now, so he is the perfect alliance for Dany. 

12 minutes ago, Seaserpent said:

I dont know exactly what you mean. Do you mean he has to kill the current lord first? I dont say he is lord of the tides yet, but that he wants to become it and archive something. Now he is a pirate and i think he follows the way like Alyn Oeakenfist starting as a pirate to make name as he is still a bastard. After he will gives his service away to a king of queen and i think he will conquer for that (queen) the Velaryon house and will kill than the former lord of the tide. Aurene controls teh stepstones now, so he is the perfect alliance for Dany. 

I'm just not sure why you're calling Oakenfist a pirate, he fought pirates, he was loyal to the crown. 

That's definitely achievable, but he can't side with Cersei as he stole her ships, nor Stannis as if he's aiming to displace his loyal supporters. Maybe he thinks he can charm Dany like he did Cersei- but he's probably wrong. Dany has never shown much attraction to Valyrian type looks, we've seen her be strongly attracted to Drogo and Daario, neither of whom look anything like Aurane. 

7 hours ago, mankytoes said:

I'm just not sure why you're calling Oakenfist a pirate, he fought pirates, he was loyal to the crown. 

That's definitely achievable, but he can't side with Cersei as he stole her ships, nor Stannis as if he's aiming to displace his loyal supporters. Maybe he thinks he can charm Dany like he did Cersei- but he's probably wrong. Dany has never shown much attraction to Valyrian type looks, we've seen her be strongly attracted to Drogo and Daario, neither of whom look anything like Aurane. 

Yes you are right about that he fought pirates, but i go the the feeling that his voyages and his way of handling with the Red Kraken and plankytown is more of a savage than only a boss of the royal navy, so he is not really a pirate than, but he was the boss on the westerosi seas. About his other voyages we dont know much. The reason why i think Aurane end up to try to join dany is becausin the dance they supports the female. It is a kinf of history repeats itself. Dany always choose a bride who can help her to the crown Drogo and Hizdar, Daarion is sex and love. I think that Dany is the only one that have to come from overseas. So or he helps her for victory or glory or he is the one who slows her down by destroying her army and maybe take care of victorian (when he is the one that teed up with Dany). But i think Stannis and Aegon are fighting cersei over land and do not have need of Aurane. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 12:46 AM, mankytoes said:

I love the thought of that, since he is probably a descendant of Daemon Targaryen, the first King of the Stepstones, through his daughter Baela. Maybe a new monarchy will be established there?

5 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

I love the thought of that, since he is probably a descendant of Daemon Targaryen, the first King of the Stepstones, through his daughter Baela. Maybe a new monarchy will be established there?

Ah I hadn’t made that connection, that’s made me much more keen on the theory, it would be great for him to reference that in claiming that title.

Archived