Hurricane Florence etc.-- stay safe!

Ormond

I have two students in my online classes, one who lives in North Carolina and one in Virginia Beach, VA, who have informed me they will probably have to evacuate because of Hurricane Florence. I hope everyone who is in the path of Hurricane Florence will heed warnings and stay safe -- and that goes for anyone  on this board who might happen to be in the path of Hurricane Isaac in the Caribbean or Tropical Storm Olivia in Hawaii, too!

This one, Florence, is huge, powerful, and worst of all, it's very slow moving. It will just sit there for a long time.  It will be dumping tons of water on earth that is already in many of the parts of the cone over saturated from the summer's rain storms.  Trees, subjected to winds no where near the power of Florence, will come easily out of this soft earth.  Recall, in hurricanes, more people die from flood waters than from wind.

Take every precaution, please!  And that includes evacuation if possible.

Edited to add that the worst parts come after the storm finally passes.  Transportation, communications are very difficult, due to down trees and flooding.  Power is out.  So water, food, etc. can become difficult to get for days and even weeks in some places, perhaps!

My brother lives in Norfolk, VA, but only since this January. This will be the first time he'll experience such weather. I talked to him last night, he said parts of Virginia are already under evacuation, and he leaves in Zone B, which will be next if the governor expands the order.

I live in South Carolina and am more worried about the trees falling over from the over saturation in the ground than I am about the wind (at least here). I am thinking I will get to have some quality time with the chainsaw after the storm finally clears out. 

The storm looks like its going to park over Wilmington for a long time. Stay safe OBX and Wilmington folks. 

11 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

I live in South Carolina and am more worried about the trees falling over from the over saturation in the ground than I am about the wind (at least here). I am thinking I will get to have some quality time with the chainsaw after the storm finally clears out. 

The storm looks like its going to park over Wilmington for a long time. Stay safe OBX and Wilmington folks. 

Yeah the pine trees in our Neighborhood are prone to do that.  I saw a rainfall prediction map that suggested Columbia Metro is only in for about 4-5 inches over the weekend.  Nothing like the October Storm a few years ago.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My girlfriend lives in Raleigh which was directly in the worst of Florence's path earlier in the week (although the model seems to have shifted a bit). She went scavenging for supplies yesterday and said the stores are out of everything. They aren't under any sort of evacuation order that far inland, but I'm concerned about torrential rain and flooding if the storm decides to set up shop once it makes landfall. 

On 9/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yeah the pine trees in our Neighborhood are prone to do that.  I saw a rainfall prediction map that suggested Columbia Metro is only in for about 4-5 inches over the weekend.  Nothing like the October Storm a few years ago.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I saw the most recent predictions and it doesn’t look too bad for you guys in Columbia. Keeping my fingers crossed, for you and all the others in Florence’s path.

Archived