Jon being resurrected?

Legitimate_Bastard

Just now, iberiandirewolf said:

Wasn't it mentioned in one of Bran's chapters that a Targaryen princess was a friend of the Night's Watch and used to fly there often with her dragon? I may be confused, but I believe I remember that she visited the Wall... My Targaryen history is very rusty

Alysanne went to the Wall. That was when they closed the Nightfort for good etc. But in FaB we learn that even though she tried flying over the Wall a few times, Silverwing wasn't having any of that, and so she never did. 

1 hour ago, iberiandirewolf said:

Wasn't it mentioned in one of Bran's chapters that a Targaryen princess was a friend of the Night's Watch and used to fly there often with her dragon? I may be confused, but I believe I remember that she visited the Wall... My Targaryen history is very rusty. 

For some time I too thought that Jon would somehow return to Winterfell to free it, but I've discarded that idea. I don't want him to be the tragic hero with a written destiny, even if predestination seems to be a solid motif throughout ASoIaF, I believe that GRRM has something different in store for him. I certainly hope it's not to remain inside Ghost forever and then slowly fade into the wolf's spirit and die. Neither do I wish for a Coldhands 2.0. Jon is my favourite character and no matter how many theories I revisit, his fate is, in my opinion, the one that hangs bya thread the most. Because, let's imagine what you said takes place: what would be his fate once Winterfell is freed and returned to a trueborn heir? Such a scenario would make him a stranger in a strange land. Back to the Wall? North of the Wall? Impossible. South? I don't see Jon/whatever he becomes going to KL, or the Vale, or the Riverlands, Dorne etc. What connections would he have left in the world? Sansa's the only one which we know 100% will remain within Westeros forever. Arya's another mystery. God knows what will become of Bran. When and IF Sam returns to the Wall, maybe there isn't a Wall or the Night's Watch anymore... Encountering Rickon somewhere in the North is the only possibility left in a scenario like this.

He could wish to die. Even if he becomes an undead creature like Coldhands, he could beg for mercy and be allowed to die. This might be the “bittersweet” part of the ending.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, iberiandirewolf said:

That would be an extremely sad scenario. I truly hope it won't end like that. Too much foreshawoding, mysterious origins, magic and prophecies around him to end that bitterly.

My thoughts exactly. Jon's arc to kinghood has been too well developed for it to end so bitter. He is at this point the only character who can answer the "What's Aragon's tax policy" question of GRRM. Besides fatherhood is a theme that heavily occurs in his narrative. I refuse to believe that all that foreshadowing was all in vain. The way things ended up in the show is not bittersweet, it's just bitter and very hollow. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:21 PM, iberiandirewolf said:

Wasn't it mentioned in one of Bran's chapters that a Targaryen princess was a friend of the Night's Watch and used to fly there often with her dragon? I may be confused, but I believe I remember that she visited the Wall... My Targaryen history is very rusty. 

Good Queen Alysanne, sister/wife of Jaehaerys I, visited the NW on her dragon Silverwing. She tried several times to get Silverwing to fly north of the Wall but the dragon always veered off. This did trouble her at the time as her dragon had never before refused to go where she wanted her to go. So it would appear, at least in the books, that there may be some type of magical connection between the Wall and the dragons.  

• 7 months later...
On 9/13/2018 at 2:13 AM, argonak said:

I don't think so.  The only wights we know of had been people who died on the other side of the wall.  it seems likely that wights can't be raised if you die on the south side of the wall

That's because there are no Others south of the Wall.

Its a passage that has attracted a lot of attention over the long years since ADwD was published.

Its a possibility as you say - but king of what?

King of the North ? King of the Seven Kingdoms? Night King? anything...

On 7/21/2019 at 8:57 AM, sweetsunray said:

So, a stinky boar loosening earth from graves... hmmm, bad foreshadowing sign, and a parallel to Mance digging around in graves "and letting shades loose" (as Ygritte once put it).

His is the Song of Ice and Fire. His body will be resurrected by Fire and his Spirit by Ice.

Combining to restore him much more completely than either the fire Wights or Ice Wights achieve individually. A Second Life, but in his own restored body.

No doubt he will be much changed by the process, but he will be a living, breathing human, not a zombie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:54 AM, The Snow Queen said:

My thoughts exactly. Jon's arc to kinghood has been too well developed for it to end so bitter. He is at this point the only character who can answer the "What's Aragon's tax policy" question of GRRM. Besides fatherhood is a theme that heavily occurs in his narrative. I refuse to believe that all that foreshadowing was all in vain. The way things ended up in the show is not bittersweet, it's just bitter and very hollow. 

How do you know that Jon’s going to be King of Westeros? He said no to Stannis when he wanted to make him the Lord of Winterfell and that’s the only thing he wanted. 

Archived