Legitimate_Bastard

Jon being resurrected?

I don't think so.  The only wights we know of had been people who died on the other side of the wall.  it seems likely that wights can't be raised if you die on the south side of the wall.

Even if he did die, I don't think he will come back as a Wight. The Wall seems to be some kind of barrier for magic North of the Wall. The only time we've seen a Wight South of the Wall was when a body was brought back across the Wall by a member of the Nights Watch. Since Jon died South of the Wall I don't think the Others magic will work on him. 

Firstly i still think there is a chance (like 0.000001%) that jon might still be alive. And even if he is,he is pretty much going to be resurrected,i don’t think he will become a wight. Theres still a bigger role for him to play that requires him to stay sane and as much human like as possible. Having said that,i do think the resurrected jon in the books is going to be much different than the previous jon. I mean this is ASOIF. We saw what resurrection did to lord beric and catelyn. So im curious how that is going to pan out. Resur. peeps hardly remain the same as before. 

But i do think in jon’s case it is going to be different. Even if he is dead i think he has warged into ghost for the interim period. Cat and beric never had tat chance. So i would like to believe that is the reason they are not same anymore. Their soul is also damaged in tat interim period and when it comes back to their body it is different. Everything is different. 

But with jon it can be pretty intact and whole while in ghost and he can warg back again to his human self? And still his body is going to be mutilated with all the stab wounds.. um,its really hard to say. We can only guess

On 9/12/2018 at 12:51 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Is it possible that Jon could come back as a Wight due to his proximity to the Wall/Land beyond the Wall?

It absolutely is possible.  As a matter of fact, it would be the most likely scenario.  

On 10/10/2018 at 8:54 PM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Even if he did die, I don't think he will come back as a Wight. The Wall seems to be some kind of barrier for magic North of the Wall. The only time we've seen a Wight South of the Wall was when a body was brought back across the Wall by a member of the Nights Watch. Since Jon died South of the Wall I don't think the Others magic will work on him. 

To add to this, I believe it was shown that dragons are unable to fly over the wall. So it blocks magic both ways.

But wasn't it shown that Coldhands himself cannot pass the Wall?

Ambiguous. He said he couldn't pass but we never saw it demonstrated. In any case Jon was offed at Castle Black so his corpse might easily be taken outside.

The crucial point is that assuming he's dead [otherwise this thread is pointless] how is his story arc to continue, as GRRM has hinted?

His last recorded utterance was that cry to Ghost, so we can reasonably infer a transfer by warging into his four-legged lifeboat. There is then a problem in that according to the Varamyr prologue he's going to be stuck there, hence the suggestion that the Starks are far more powerful wargs, and he can in fact return to what will be a slightly damaged body per Coldhands. There are other implications too but you'll need to come over to the Heresy thread for that.

One thing which also needs to be born in mind is that GRRM [and folklore in general] has always made it very clear that returning from the dead has consequences. Its not the guilt-free experience depicted by the Mummers

Do we know how the wight curse is transferred? For Catelyn’s revival all it needed was a kiss from someone who has been previously revived as a fire wight. So if the two bodies that Jon brought with him south of the wall were to rise .....and Bowen & co decided to store his body in the same cell...... ?

On the other hand I think they would already have had blue eyes at the time they were found if they were supposed to be become wights. 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:57 PM, nickdt said:

Its not even clear that Jon died in the first place. 

Pretty convenient they didn’t chop his head off or ruin that lovely pretty face of his. Just a few polite little stab wounds you can cover over with sticky tape.

His body is dead if not dying. He is reaching for ghost as the chapter closes. Varamyr tells us that a second life in Ghost would be a second life worth living. And it matches Mel's vision in the flames of a man, then a wolf, then a man again. Jon will return with at least a piece of Ghost inside of him.

All in all, it's laid on pretty thick in aDwD.