Why did nobody try to curb Joffrey?

Angel Eyes

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So was it genetics? 

I don't think so. To me, Joffrey was no psychopath, he was just a bully with unlimited power.

I think it's mainly Cersei's fault: she's the one that raised him (and we read what kind of teachings she gave him) and wouldn't let anyone else have a say in her son's education. The only one who could have done something was Robert, but we all know what his reaction was when faced with possible conflict.

3 hours ago, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

You cannot curb a sociopath . Joff had teachers ,the grand maester and the high septon .

Yeah but how forceful could they have been? Old men who fear Tywin and Robert? I just think lack of nurture increased bad nature. 

7 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Yeah but how forceful could they have been? Old men who fear Tywin and Robert? I just think lack of nurture increased bad nature. 

Not to mention Cersei.

Joff was spoiled and allowed to entertain his baser impulses in a world where violence and might make right are commonplace, even though the veneer of civilization is slathered on top of it. I give Joff credit for being intelligent enough to see the world for what it was and that he was in a position to manipulate it. What he lacked was wisdom and the maturity to see that his manipulations had consequences that could harm him; something Cersei never learned either so was ill equipped to pass on to her son. Tyrion tried to reverse some of the damage but was too late and not "manly" enough to garner Joff's respect. Even so, both Tyrion and Tywin proved that a firm hand on the reins (or maybe reigns in this case ;)) did have a measurable effect on Joff's behavior, at least in the short term. They had missed their window when he was a small child. It was a lot more work to curb Joff once he became king.

45 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

Tyrion tried to reverse some of the damage but was too late and not "manly" enough to garner Joff's respect. Even so, both Tyrion and Tywin proved that a firm hand on the reins (or maybe reigns in this case ;)) did have a measurable effect on Joff's behavior, at least in the short term. They had missed their window when he was a small child. It was a lot more work to curb Joff once he became king.

At least Tyrion tried!

12 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

At least Tyrion tried!

At least somebody tried! I have always questioned why Tywin was so MIA in his grandson's life when gaining the throne was so important to him. It seems to me he would have been Mr. Mentor considering his low opinion of Robert, not to mention getting in Joff's good graces in order to convince him to release Jamie from his vows.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:43 AM, Trefayne said:

At least somebody tried! I have always questioned why Tywin was so MIA in his grandson's life when gaining the throne was so important to him. It seems to me he would have been Mr. Mentor considering his low opinion of Robert, not to mention getting in Joff's good graces in order to convince him to release Jamie from his vows.

Tywin wasn’t doing much in the years between Robert’s Rebellion and the War of the Five Kings, other than responding to the Greyjoy Rebellion, rebuilding the Lannister fleet, and winning the award for Worst Dad (or at the least very close).

Archived