Was Robb more Tully or Stark?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

So I’ve been re reading the books and I’ve been wondering, all the stark children look like Tully’s save Arya and Jon. But regarding robb in particular, he’s described as having an ginger beard and hair and blue eyes, so do you think he is more Tully than stark or maybe even Arryn and Tully as Ned was raised in the vale and has an honourable personality not common with starks. Just a thought and i might be wrong but please put your opinion below, Thanks :)

I think Robb takes after Ned in that he's stupid honorable. I don't really know how much of Ned is Stark and how much is Arryn though. Both Brandon and Lyanna seemed to have heavy cases of the wolfs blood, and I don't really feel like I know alot about Benjen. And from what I can tell of the historical Starks most of them seem pretty ruthless. But everything I've read about the historical Starks is from 'The World of Ice and Fire' which is written from the perspective of an Andal Maester, who might be somewhat biased. 

7 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

I think Robb takes after Ned in that he's stupid honorable. I don't really know how much of Ned is Stark and how much is Arryn though. Both Brandon and Lyanna seemed to have heavy cases of the wolfs blood, and I don't really feel like I know alot about Benjen. And from what I can tell of the historical Starks most of them seem pretty ruthless. But everything I've read about the historical Starks is from 'The World of Ice and Fire' which is written from the perspective of an Andal Maester, who might be somewhat biased. 

Good points, I’m still not sure however I’ve always wondered that if robb was as ruthless as the old kings of winter, could he have won?

8 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Good points, I’m still not sure however I’ve always wondered that if robb was as ruthless as the old kings of winter, could he have won?

Maybe, if he just took the twins instead of dealing with the Freys I wonder how it would of ended.

2 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So I’ve been re reading the books and I’ve been wondering, all the stark children look like Tully’s save Arya and Jon. But regarding robb in particular, he’s described as having an ginger beard and hair and blue eyes, so do you think he is more Tully than stark or maybe even Arryn and Tully as Ned was raised in the vale and has an honourable personality not common with starks. Just a thought and i might be wrong but please put your opinion below, Thanks :)

Robb was raised in the culture of the north.  He is more northern in personality.  His looks is that of a Tully because he does not share Jon and Arya's head shape.  He doesn't look like an ironing board on its end but he is a Stark at heart.  Lyanna is an oathbreaker.  Robb is an oathbreaker.  Jon is an oathbreaker.  There is a pattern.  

45 minutes ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Lyanna is an oathbreaker.  Robb is an oathbreaker.  Jon is an oathbreaker.  There is a pattern.  

!!!  It would only matter in the North. In the south, where the Freys and Lannisters lie, "words are wind." Frankly, everybody is an "oath breaker" at some point. Pedigrees are irrelevant, although some houses like the Lannisters, Boltons, and Freys seem to have made lying and oathbreaking a crucial part of their "brand."

46 minutes ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

He doesn't look like an ironing board on its end

You're making yourself crazy with the simple observation that many Starks have "a long face." It's totally normal - look at human faces in everyday life, or if you need to, do a Google image search on humans. Some have longer, thinner faces than others: see Sarah Silverman. Some have round faces: see Samwell Tarly. Some faces are square: say Arnold Schwartzenegger (when young) or Dwayne Johnson. "Square" is the classic comic book hero face. The "ideal" is supposed to be "oval", but no numeric details on the perfect aspect ratio seem to be in evidence.

There's othing weird or deformed or monstrous about the Stark look. Lyanna was named the Queen of Love & Beauty  and Robert Baratheon fell for her; do you think this would be possible if Lyanna was some kind of bizarro freak?

This is one of those fan self-obsessions that really annoys me. Don't take my rant too personally.

2 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

He’d have probably died, he had 12000 men and tho I don’t like house Frey, I’ll confess the twins are a formidable castle and 12000 is not enough to take it unfortunately.

He has 12k at WF and near 20k at the Twins. However he absolutely no chance of taking the twins. I don’t have the quote on me but even without Tywin breathing down his neck he and his vassals basically say “uhhh fuck” and he goes through how it’d be impossible

In the end I guess he was mostly stark given the new direwolf head

7 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

I don't think such think as a standart Stark or a standart Tully.

What Robert, Stannis and Renly have in common? What Doran, Oberyn and Arianne have in common? What about  Lisa, Catelyn and Edmure?

They all look like close relatives?

3 hours ago, zandru said:

!!!  It would only matter in the North. In the south, where the Freys and Lannisters lie, "words are wind." Frankly, everybody is an "oath breaker" at some point. Pedigrees are irrelevant, although some houses like the Lannisters, Boltons, and Freys seem to have made lying and oathbreaking a crucial part of their "brand."

This is ridiculous lol. We see plenty northern lords break their oaths or seriously consider it with no scupple. The Greatjon threatened to go home and let Ned die even though it would be in violation to his oaths to House Stark.

Manderly is currently commiting treason against the Ironthrone after swearing to serve once again.

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

This is ridiculous lol. We see plenty northern lords break their oaths or seriously consider it with no scupple. The Greatjon threatened to go home and let Ned die even though it would be in violation to his oaths to House Stark.

Manderly is currently commiting treason against the Ironthrone after swearing to serve once again.

Yeah everyone has their price wrt to loyalty. 

As to Manderly, I’ll leave you this quote “a drunken oath given at sword point”

1 minute ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Yeah everyone has their price wrt to loyalty. 

As to Manderly, I’ll leave you this quote “a drunken oath given at sword point”

An oath he took to which he is now breaking to fufill his vegence. Plenty people make oaths in less preferble conditions and break their oaths for more sympathetic reasons(at least a moderate audience) yet are still expected to hold up their word. 

4 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

An oath he took to which he is now breaking to fufill his vegence. Plenty people make oaths in less preferble conditions and break their oaths for more sympathetic reasons(at least a moderate audience) yet are still expected to hold up their word. 

Extortion is not an activity I like to condone

31 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Extortion is not an activity I like to condone

Manderly was guilty of committing treason-he participated in Robb's rebellion, if he desires to avoid punishment for crime than an oath-fealty is only reasonble. If he wants to break it to sate his vegence fine but please let's not act as if his oath-breaking is somehow benighn because the alternate is facing punishment for his crime.

Hell Daeron was faced with genital mutialion  if he didn't join up with the watch because he was charged with rape-and from his words the only crime he is guilty of is having lain with a nobleman's daughter who had called the fornication rape even though the girl was willing-he could've been telling the truth, or he could have been totally lying, but that generally won't matter to most people when he decides to desert because keeping his oath is hard.

But then again he's not powerful or friends with those in power; if he was perhaps he could enjoy the same luxury Robert had of not being called oath-breaker by the majority of people in Westeroes.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Manderly was guilty of committing treason-he participated in Robb's rebellion, if he desires to avoid punishment for crime than an oath-fealty is only reasonble. If he wants to break it to sate his vegence fine but please let's not act as if his oath-breaking is somehow benighn because the alternate is facing punishment for his crime.

Like I said, extortion.

In world, I can hardly blame the Lannisters for wanting their price. OTOH Why anyone would keep faith with people who murdered your family is beyond me. 

“When treating with liars, even an honest man must lie.”

If I were in his situation, I'd be doing the exact same thing with maybe a quarter of the patience.

20 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

Robb was raised in the culture of the north.  He is more northern in personality.  His looks is that of a Tully because he does not share Jon and Arya's head shape.  He doesn't look like an ironing board on its end but he is a Stark at heart.  Lyanna is an oathbreaker.  Robb is an oathbreaker.  Jon is an oathbreaker.  There is a pattern.  

What character hasn’t lied or broken an oath at this point?

Archived