TTTNE 474 - The Thread That Never Dies But Rises Stronger

RhaenysBee

9 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

That is no fun!, I want to shoot lightning at it!.

Concealing explosive charges throughout the thread then blowing them all up at once can also be quite satisfying.

18 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Why do you think HBO has any hold over any book? I just think there is no book, as GRRM has not written it.

I have heard all the talk about what a slow writer GRRM is. Not buying. The guy is as prolific a writer as the heavens have ever produced. He wrote the first three books of ASOIAF in five years (nearly 3,000 pages and goodness knows how many characters and plot lines). AFFC came out in 2005 - another thousand pages. Then in 2007 HBO comes on the scene and suddenly the author becomes slow? To me, the more obvious answer is that there was a do not publish agreement in the HBO contract.

GRRM has been releasing chapters for years & I have collected a lot of them - it's something like 150 pages already. There has not been a new one in several years. Why would you think he doesn't have the whole thing sitting ready to drop on us?

18 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Go and read F&B!, it’s really interesting :D.

Actually, I have a copy, thanks to a friend and plan to start it soon.

15 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Also, this thread was started in fricking September. I say it is high time we finish it.

A "fricking" out of Buckwheat?!! Nicely done! And now I see what we are blowing up - heck, I can help with that. I'll just post every minute or so till it goes. :)

2 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I have heard all the talk about what a slow writer GRRM is. Not buying. The guy is as prolific a writer as the heavens have ever produced. He wrote the first three books of ASOIAF in five years (nearly 3,000 pages and goodness knows how many characters and plot lines). AFFC came out in 2005 - another thousand pages. Then in 2007 HBO comes on the scene and suddenly the author becomes slow? To me, the more obvious answer is that there was a do not publish agreement in the HBO contract.

GRRM has been releasing chapters for years & I have collected a lot of them - it's something like 150 pages already. There has not been a new one in several years. Why would you think he doesn't have the whole thing sitting ready to drop on us?

Because I believe he respects and likes his fans enough to do that to us.

Also, why the hell would any writer sign such a contract?

A "fricking" out of Buckwheat?!! Nicely done! And now I see what we are blowing up - heck, I can help with that. I'll just post every minute or so till it goes. :)

That's the spirit.

I would gladly join you in blowing up the thread, but I have an exam in 10 minutes.

Actually, I have a copy, thanks to a friend and plan to start it soon.

That was 25 years ago. And yes, he sold the books to HBO a few years before the first season came out, but Dance of Dragons was released after signing the contract. I also don't see why this wouldn't be something he and HBO handles transparently. Just TELL people if there's such an agreement (which I don't think there is) and they will be tolerant and patient (at least more than they are now) instead of actively hating on GRRM. Such agreement would also make no sense for HBO from a business perspective.

For what it's worth, my conviction is that the book isn't written, because he got slower, he got caught up in his own cobweb of a plot and he also got fed up with the whole story as it gained popularity and HBO screwed up his characters and plotlines. And I also don't think it will ever be released. Maybe whatever is ready of  the book will be released in 10 years or so, but I don't expect to ever read the end of ASOIAF :dunno: 

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Because I believe he respects and likes his fans enough to do that to us.

Also, why the hell would any writer sign such a contract?

That's the spirit.

I would gladly join you in blowing up the thread, but I have an exam in 10 minutes.

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

That was 25 years ago. And yes, he sold the books to HBO a few years before the first season came out, but Dance of Dragons was released after signing the contract. I also don't see why this wouldn't be something he and HBO handles transparently. Just TELL people if there's such an agreement (which I don't think there is) and they will be tolerant and patient (at least more than they are now) instead of actively hating on GRRM. Such agreement would also make no sense for HBO from a business perspective.

For what it's worth, my conviction is that the book isn't written, because he got slower, he got caught up in his own cobweb of a plot and he also got fed up with the whole story as it gained popularity and HBO screwed up his characters and plotlines. And I also don't think it will ever be released. Maybe whatever is ready of  the book will be released in 10 years or so, but I don't expect to ever read the end of ASOIAF :dunno: 

To answer you both;

I think Martin respects his fans and I think he has been doing a lot of writing even when on tour. So many Targaryen history books, WOIAF, short story collections and so on. I see no signs of him slowing down - words pour out of the man at an impressive rate - just not for ASOIAF at the moment. And based on what he's already said, he had TWOW well underway before ADWD even came out. I just hope he doesn't change what he originally intended to write just to match the show.

I can't speak to how things are done in Europe, but here in the US the specifics contracts like this are not shared with the public unless there's a benefit to the company in doing so. I think if it were revealed that HBO had extracted a promise from GRRM not to publish till after the series they would have generated a lot of negative publicity toward HBO, as well as GRRM. Martin would have a tough time doing all the publicity tours he does for the show, while big media companies like HBO are allergic to negative press. Hide the truth and even lie to avoid making fans mad? Hell yes! That's how we do business over here, sorry to say. And let's not get into the world of sports. Looking journalists in the eye and lying to their faces is s.o.p. - standard operating procedure. This would be mild by comparison.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Just TELL people if there's such an agreement (which I don't think there is) and they will be tolerant and patient (at least more than they are now) instead of actively hating on GRRM.

I certainly wouldn't be tolerant or patient! GRRM finding it a struggle to complete the series is a little frustrating but understandable. Deliberately withholding the books so the show can spoiler them would be utterly unreasonable. :angry2:

And we've been on the final page of the thread for nearly a whole day...

1 hour ago, felice said:

I certainly wouldn't be tolerant or patient! GRRM finding it a struggle to complete the series is a little frustrating but understandable. Deliberately withholding the books so the show can spoiler them would be utterly unreasonable. :angry2:

I agree. I do not believe GRRM would have signed such a contract at all.

And yes, time to blow up this thread.

Archived