TTTNE 474 - The Thread That Never Dies But Rises Stronger

RhaenysBee

Just now, felice said:

Hopefully your day is being less frustrating?

I had an exam. But otherwise I was hanging with a friend. We were supposed to meet up and revise together, but then we basically just ended up chatting and went for lunch.

1 minute ago, Buckwheat said:

I had an exam. But otherwise I was hanging with a friend. We were supposed to meet up and revise together, but then we basically just ended up chatting and went for lunch.

That sounds nice :) Aside from the exam part, but I'm sure you did well at that. So, now we can think about a title for the new thread...

Sorry, got dragged away from the computer.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sorry to hear that.

It's just freezing everything rather than being completely non-functional, so hopefully a relatively cheap repair, and the icecream isn't being wasted.

COOOOONGRATULATIONS! NEW THREAD NEW THREAD!

:cheers:

I have no idea what to name the new thread.

It feels like a big responsibility when it's going to stick around for months...

3 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

To answer you both;

I think Martin respects his fans and I think he has been doing a lot of writing even when on tour. So many Targaryen history books, WOIAF, short story collections and so on. I see no signs of him slowing down - words pour out of the man at an impressive rate - just not for ASOIAF at the moment. And based on what he's already said, he had TWOW well underway before ADWD even came out. I just hope he doesn't change what he originally intended to write just to match the show.

I can't speak to how things are done in Europe, but here in the US the specifics contracts like this are not shared with the public unless there's a benefit to the company in doing so. I think if it were revealed that HBO had extracted a promise from GRRM not to publish till after the series they would have generated a lot of negative publicity toward HBO, as well as GRRM. Martin would have a tough time doing all the publicity tours he does for the show, while big media companies like HBO are allergic to negative press. Hide the truth and even lie to avoid making fans mad? Hell yes! That's how we do business over here, sorry to say. And let's not get into the world of sports. Looking journalists in the eye and lying to their faces is s.o.p. - standard operating procedure. This would be mild by comparison.

Yeah I have no idea why he would do that. But anyway, if he had wow in the way before dwd came out, his is just horrible to his audience. What kinda customer orientation is that? And no, asoiaf isn’t just literature, the moment he sold it to HBO it became a business.

The thing is, the audience is mad as it is. For what it’s worth, I think hbo and grrm would both have benefited from making such deal transparent. HBO didn’t have a fun publicity when the show reached the book plot and while the laws of quantity still work, the show gets a lot of strong criticism for being one big mess of a plot hole from more casual viewers too. GRRM gets so much shit for being quiet on wow. It’s a lot of baaaaaad publicity for them. So I still don’t think such agreement exists. It’s hurting them both business- and publicity-wise and it makes no strategic sense for either party to sign it. 

2 hours ago, felice said:

I certainly wouldn't be tolerant or patient! GRRM finding it a struggle to complete the series is a little frustrating but understandable. Deliberately withholding the books so the show can spoiler them would be utterly unreasonable. :angry2:

And we've been on the final page of the thread for nearly a whole day...

I can see where you’re coming from. 

3 hours ago, felice said:

No time to think of that yet!

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing a new thread be born. :)

Spoiler

Ftr, had I "won" my title was going to "The Casterly Rock Band" with Jamie on drums, Tyrion lead guitar and Cersei on vocals - and of course featuring Cersei and Tyrion fighting all the time. Bass? Oh, a series of cousins - all obscure and little noticed. While the band was best known for The Rains of Castamere, they stopped performing the song once their manager, Tywin died.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah I have no idea why he would do that. But anyway, if he had wow in the way before dwd came out, his is just horrible to his audience. What kinda customer orientation is that? And no, asoiaf isn’t just literature, the moment he sold it to HBO it became a business.

The thing is, the audience is mad as it is. For what it’s worth, I think hbo and grrm would both have benefited from making such deal transparent. HBO didn’t have a fun publicity when the show reached the book plot and while the laws of quantity still work, the show gets a lot of strong criticism for being one big mess of a plot hole from more casual viewers too. GRRM gets so much shit for being quiet on wow. It’s a lot of baaaaaad publicity for them. So I still don’t think such agreement exists. It’s hurting them both business- and publicity-wise and it makes no strategic sense for either party to sign it. 

I can see where you’re coming from. 

I guess we'll just have to wait a few months & see.

• 1 month later...

I took a Got and ASoIaF break with no books and no shows for so long. I am back, but it seems little has changed. Lots of good points, but also alot of factless screaming. Anyone else for more forum games?

1 hour ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

I took a Got and ASoIaF break with no books and no shows for so long. I am back, but it seems little has changed. Lots of good points, but also alot of factless screaming. Anyone else for more forum games?

Hi, welcome here. Can I invite you over to TTTNE 475? We don't use this thread here anymore.

Archived