TTTNE 474 - The Thread That Never Dies But Rises Stronger

RhaenysBee

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:11 PM, honeyed chicken said:

Only two posts since Saturday night? This thread is getting sleepy!

Outside today it is bright and unusually cold for October.

Busy here, not getting enough sleep, having to study and spending some hours trying to figure out what's happenign to my laptop and its devices again. Suddenly, my laptop audio system and friends started sabotaging myself again.

Around two weeks ago Lap's audio output unilaterally stopped functioning, to fianlly start working again some days later. On its own. I guess it's "him" who decides when to be properly updated, even if I told it to do it when it should be. 

Then, next one was my microphone. I was recording some dialogues of a language course I want to share from a book I have to return to the library and a sudden background noise started to appear, without me having done anything different than some days ago when I was also recording them (and the cables not being damaged...). I listened to the last ones tonight, and ALL of them had that noise. Then, to my surprise, the "sound" of the very last recordings did not have that noise anymore from an hour ago, but.....it just sounded as if there were interferences instead of the previous noise. Scary.

Seriously, it's like there were Halloween ghosts or something inside my laptop and his friends. Yeah, I prefer to refer to him as a person. Because he is just mocking me or something.... Did I mention that I get extremely stressed about anything related to "computer problems"? And the fact that as an engineer (even if not computer engineer) I should be able to deal with these problems more easily than the average person, or at least without getting stressed, doesn't help. I just hate all that so much. But it's just beyond me. I did my research, made some changes, nothing, I can't fix that.

I guess I'll have to buy another micro, it was really good and not precisely cheap :( I had bought it some months ago because I was tired of the quality of previous ones, and when I finally find one that records my songs perfectly (or at least with me liking how my voice sounds) and it works amazingly well when I make Skype calls, it just breaks up.

Anyway, I give up, I can't spend more time on this, they won over me, at least for the next ten days. And who cares about sleeping, after all... :crying:

(Not to mention that I wanted to lose a couple of kg and I skipped "my diet" as a result of the stress...and  I ate part of a milk chocolate bar I had hid, for special occasions).

Sleep deprived. Stressed out. A lot of work and not enough time to do it in. Gaining weight because I keep eating sweets and fatty things to feel better because I had too little sleep.

Why does this sound so familiar?

9 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I think it's best to just let it be, Rhae. :ohwell:

Oh well :dunno: 

9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Welcome to my life: a girl I really like, and hey we've bonded: over shared trauma. Urghghgh. I've literally forgotten how to interact with a person, and now you add to thew mix that each of us knows the other is massively damaged? I'm genuinely facepalming. Life has such a cruel sense of humour, we couldn't just like each other. OH NO! THERE MUST BE MUTUAL PAIN!

I’m sorry about this, BB. Are you a hug person? If so, :grouphug:  if not, :cheers: . Is shared pain and liking each other mutually exclusive though? Does this revelation come between the two of you as just people who like each other?

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Sleep deprived. Stressed out. A lot of work and not enough time to do it in. Gaining weight because I keep eating sweets and fatty things to feel better because I had too little sleep.

Because you have a history of overburdening yourself with professional work? :dunno: My humble advice is to get some rest and slow down because no work is ever as important as your health. There’ll always be another work of course and work can always be done later, you have one health to take care of. 

10 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Welcome to my life: a girl I really like, and hey we've bonded: over shared trauma. Urghghgh. I've literally forgotten how to interact with a person, and now you add to thew mix that each of us knows the other is massively damaged? I'm genuinely facepalming. Life has such a cruel sense of humour, we couldn't just like each other. OH NO! THERE MUST BE MUTUAL PAIN!

Life is indeed perverse. It proves itself as such on a regular basis. To keep us humble? remind us we're only flesh and blood, after all? Probably not - that would be too logical.

I hope that you can lend each other support through the pain.

9 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Busy here, not getting enough sleep, having to study and spending some hours trying to figure out what's happenign to my laptop and its devices again. Suddenly, my laptop audio system and friends started sabotaging myself again.

Around two weeks ago Lap's audio output unilaterally stopped functioning, to fianlly start working again some days later. On its own. I guess it's "him" who decides when to be properly updated, even if I told it to do it when it should be. 

Then, next one was my microphone. I was recording some dialogues of a language course I want to share from a book I have to return to the library and a sudden background noise started to appear, without me having done anything different than some days ago when I was also recording them (and the cables not being damaged...). I listened to the last ones tonight, and ALL of them had that noise. Then, to my surprise, the "sound" of the very last recordings did not have that noise anymore from an hour ago, but.....it just sounded as if there were interferences instead of the previous noise. Scary.

Seriously, it's like there were Halloween ghosts or something inside my laptop and his friends. Yeah, I prefer to refer to him as a person. Because he is just mocking me or something.... Did I mention that I get extremely stressed about anything related to "computer problems"? And the fact that as an engineer (even if not computer engineer) I should be able to deal with these problems more easily than the average person, or at least without getting stressed, doesn't help. I just hate all that so much. But it's just beyond me. I did my research, made some changes, nothing, I can't fix that.

I guess I'll have to buy another micro, it was really good and not precisely cheap :( I had bought it some months ago because I was tired of the quality of previous ones, and when I finally find one that records my songs perfectly (or at least with me liking how my voice sounds) and it works amazingly well when I make Skype calls, it just breaks up.

Anyway, I give up, I can't spend more time on this, they won over me, at least for the next ten days. And who cares about sleeping, after all... :crying:

(Not to mention that I wanted to lose a couple of kg and I skipped "my diet" as a result of the stress...and  I ate part of a milk chocolate bar I had hid, for special occasions).

Sorry to hear about your computer trials. Hope you can get things sorted out and reduce stress.

And I get that even engineers have computer troubles they can't fix.

My daughter and her boyfriend (he works in IT and is very computer savvy)  decided I should have his old desk top computer that he put together - a custom model. They did not really ask, just kind of descended on me one day and hooked it up and only partially transferred my stuff over to the "new" one. Right off the bat the new computer wouldn't "talk" to the scanner, even though it would "talk" to the printer - and they're the same machine. So I asked the bf if he could fix this for me - and he did. Or thought he had. But no. Now the computer won't talk to the printer or the scanner. 

I may just hire a guy to fix it.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Geez Buck! Hope there's an end in sight and you can get some sleep and less stress soon!

2 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Life is indeed perverse. It proves itself as such on a regular basis. To keep us humble? remind us we're only flesh and blood, after all? Probably not - that would be too logical.

Sorry to hear about your computer trials. Hope you can get things sorted out and reduce stress.

My daughter and her boyfriend (he works in IT and is very computer savvy)  decided I should have his old desk top computer that he put together - a custom model. They did not really ask, just kind of descended on me one day and hooked it up and only partially transferred my stuff over to the "new" one. Right off the bat the new computer wouldn't "talk" to the scanner, even though it would "talk" to the printer - and they're the same machine. So I asked the bf if he could fix this for me - and he did. Or thought he had. But no. Now the computer won't talk to the printer or the scanner. 

Geez Buck! Hope there's an end in sight and you can get some sleep and less stress soon!

thanks for you words. It is the micro. I bought a new one this mid day and it works. Now the problems are that for some reason I hear any noise from the room amplified by the laptop (for instance tapping with the fingers on the table) even if the micro of the laptop is off. A sort of echo....

speaking of printers.....mine is also crazy these days. But it has always been so I ignore "him".

and also well....I would like todo something in regards to the first micro because it was on guarantee.

Buck yeah...looks like you are facing sinilar issues. Mmm....in my case what pisses me off the most is that all that extra effort running in the gym (something that I don't like doing and it's very difficult for me for a long time) meant nothing after that chocolate bar. And I have problems concentrating when I study...maybe I should go to the library. Where chocolate bars don't exist if one doesn't bring cash with oneself....as well.

The Blackbear I once bonded with someone because we were doing the same degree and we didn't like it much. That was our first thing to talk about, xd. maybe later you have more positive things in common.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Because you have a history of overburdening yourself with professional work? :dunno: My humble advice is to get some rest and slow down because no work is ever as important as your health. There’ll always be another work of course and work can always be done later, you have one health to take care of. 

Naaaaah, that can't be it. :P

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

Sadly, there isn't ...

:read:

BB, I am sure you will find other things to talk about with the new person. ;) Have fun!

9 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I sympathise about yours and Meeras computer woes, how come they are being so awkward to set up and work?.

I’ve had zero issues with mine I back it all up to an external hard drive periodically and when I change to a new computer all I do is plug in the hard drive and it puts everything onto the new one and my desktop is the same, wireless printers are also so much easier to use :D.

Ugh. Hands up if this ever happened to you. You need a new razor head but the drugstore doesn’t have the ones you usually get. So you just pick up another because WHAT could possibly be the difference? Any such thing is clearly a fiction of consumerist capitalism. You go home, you get in the shower—- and it’s a freaking bloodbath and it’s not even Halloween yet. Gah, never ever using these thing again. 

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ugh. Hands up if this ever happened to you. You need a new razor head but the drugstore doesn’t have the ones you usually get. So you just pick up another because WHAT could possibly be the difference? Any such thing is clearly a fiction of consumerist capitalism. You go home, you get in the shower—- and it’s a freaking bloodbath and it’s not even Halloween yet. Gah, never ever using these thing again. 

That stinks.

Yeah sometimes brand does matter. When it comes to shaving, it seems like all the disposable ones are crap these days - for me, the pricey ones have been as bad as the knock-offs. Happy to have an electric razor that I trust. There are places on my face it doesn't get to well, and I use a disposable for those places - but they never last half as long as you think they should.

Wrt brands, cookies are an interesting study (for me. :) ). Oreos are obviously the apex of American sandwich cookies. They've been around since dinosaurs roamed the earth due in part to clever marketing, but also due being there first, kind of like Coca Cola. Yet, cookie monster that I am, I pass up the Oreos every time and go for the el cheapo, store, knock-off brand. Why? Price is obviously one factor, but also because when you open a pack (eat a few pre stale, of course. Quality control) and leave them for a few days their taste improves as they get stale. It can be tricky maneuvering through "consumerist capitalism".

14 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

That is not good :(, I don’t like razors much so I swapped over to waxing my legs and um a bit further up too, I only really use a razor for my underarms now.

Yes it stings but you do get used to it and you feel smoother for longer.

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

That is not good :(, I don’t like razors much so I swapped over to waxing my legs and um a bit further up too, I only really use a razor for my underarms now.

Yes it stings but you do get used to it and you feel smoother for longer.

I found that waxing the legs wasn’t as longer lasting as I would have liked and the wait for it to grow out enough to be removed again is tedious, that’s why I switched back to razors. Then again, I only shave my legs, anything higher up is waxing or epilating. In fact, epilating seems to give the best result for me, but it’s also the most painful, so I can’t get myself to epilate my legs too... :/ 

38 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I found that waxing the legs wasn’t as longer lasting as I would have liked and the wait for it to grow out enough to be removed again is tedious, that’s why I switched back to razors. Then again, I only shave my legs, anything higher up is waxing or epilating. In fact, epilating seems to give the best result for me, but it’s also the most painful, so I can’t get myself to epilate my legs too... :/ 

I find shaving leaves it feeling prickly more than waxing does, yes I sometimes epilate too but I hear you about the pain!.

9 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That was no electric toothbrush. No facial scrub device.

Ah, I misunderstood....That's what one gets for not sleeping more than 4 hours.

By electrical device I meant the epilator. Although if it is made work as an electrical razor then I don't remember having pain (it's been years since I don't use that, though, I switched to razors years ago).

I used to have skin problems due to the epilator and a lot of irritation, especially as a teenager. Not to mention the pain...

12 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Ah, I misunderstood....That's what one gets for not sleeping more than 4 hours.

You probably didn't. It was just a reference to a song, not closely connected to the discussion at hand.

Helena, we're tired of all your tangents. That's also a triangle pun.

Just now, Buckwheat said:

You probably didn't. It was just a reference to a song, not closely connected to the discussion at hand.

Helena, we're tired of all your tangents. That's also a triangle pun.

Ahaha, okay!

mmm....Link of the song? Now I'm curious :P

(And yeah...I guess my subconscious links "hair removal"+"electricity"+"pain" to epilators...:unsure:)

Archived