TTTNE 474 - The Thread That Never Dies But Rises Stronger

RhaenysBee

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

No. It is embarrassing.

So here are some other news to distract you: as part of my teacher training, I need to do a placement/internship thingy - some days at a primary school (6-15 year olds) and some at a high school (15-19 year olds). I visited my old high school on Monday and I am doing this with my former high school teacher. Which I find pretty cool, I adore coming back there. I still need to figure out details for the primary school though, I found a mentor at a school that is willing to have me, but we have not finalised any plans regarding dates yet.

This sounds pretty cool! Hope you’ll enjoy working with the students in your high school! And fingers crossed they’ll be cooperative and motivated. Though I’m sure if you are a good enough teacher you can actively make that happen. I think I’ve said this before but I find teenagers mean and terrifying, I’d much prefer teaching little kids, if I had a gene in my body that made me suitable to be a teacher. :lol: good luck with both internships! 

22 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

This sounds pretty cool! Hope you’ll enjoy working with the students in your high school! And fingers crossed they’ll be cooperative and motivated. Though I’m sure if you are a good enough teacher you can actively make that happen. I think I’ve said this before but I find teenagers mean and terrifying, I’d much prefer teaching little kids, if I had a gene in my body that made me suitable to be a teacher. :lol: good luck with both internships!

Well, I never knew I had anything that makes me suitable to be a teacher, but I have not gotten much complaints till now, so ... maybe this is a talent that really only shows up when times are dire. :P

I am the opposite, terrified mostly of 12-14 year olds. By the time they are 16, they should know why they are there. At least the ones at good schools that are slightly more difficult to get to. I don't know how I feel about the younger ones yet, the professor is encouraging me that they are very easy to work with, but I am skeptical of that. And I don not really want to at not that good high schools.

15 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

No. It is embarrassing.

So here are some other news to distract you: as part of my teacher training, I need to do a placement/internship thingy - some days at a primary school (6-15 year olds) and some at a high school (15-19 year olds). I visited my old high school on Monday and I am doing this with my former high school teacher. Which I find pretty cool, I adore coming back there. I still need to figure out details for the primary school though, I found a mentor at a school that is willing to have me, but we have not finalised any plans regarding dates yet.

This sounds really cool! And also with the help of a former teacher. This Fall I went to my former HS so as to tell them that I was there in case any student needed extra help at home, as I had done once before in the past. However, I ended up being very embarrassed and changed my mind (I had to return another day but I didn't..). I found other girls from another neighboorhood. But, being a real teacher must be very different than being a tutor.....I can't imagine!

Something you said surprised me a little. Is High School till 19 instead of 18 in Slovenia? I know about that fact from other European countries, but it seems it's common in more countries than I knew.

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Something you said surprised me a little. Is High School till 19 instead of 18 in Slovenia? I know about that fact from other European countries, but it seems it's common in more countries than I knew.

It is generally till 18, unless you are born between January and June, in which case you will probably turn 19 before the end of the school year.

18 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

No. It is embarrassing.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Congrats Buck, that sounds like a very fulfilling and fun experience and I hope it goes well for you!.

I think I’d make a great teacher- what’s on the agenda for this lesson?, algebra?!, that’s boring and completely not helpful in life!.

Tell me class, did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis this wise?.....

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It is generally till 18, unless you are born between January and June, in which case you will probably turn 19 before the end of the school year.

Oh, like I suspected then. Yes, here it's until 17, or 18 if you're born between January and June.

3 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Congrats Buck, that sounds like a very fulfilling and fun experience and I hope it goes well for you!.

I think I’d make a great teacher- what’s on the agenda for this lesson?, algebra?!, that’s boring and completely not helpful in life!.

That reminds me of me the other day introducing the concept of algebra to one of the students I'm a tutor of. I said algebra also appears in the master, provided that you do crazy stuff like I do....:crying:

but no, not in life!!!!!! indeed, so indeed....

3 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Well, I do not know how fulfilling and fun it will be ... that is very much questionable. It starts in a few weeks.

Of course, everybody knows that if students are not obedient, the best thing you can do is to electrocute them, right? :rolleyes: Ah, the Sith teaching methods ...

Good Morning! Nothing like spamming on a frigid day when our furnace struggles to get the temperature up to a reasonable level in the house.

I'm surprised to read several of you actually going back to HS. Good lord, when I finished my four years there I was gone and no looking back - good riddance! College was another matter. I didn't have the opportunity to go back because I was on the other side of the country, but I did miss it and think about it at least.

20 hours ago, D_P said:

i am returned :cheers:

nice to see the thread in such good hands.  Spam is amazing and must be given to everyone.

Hello to you, sir. *curtsey* BTW, there is something on your forehead. :P

8 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

I'm surprised to read several of you actually going back to HS. Good lord, when I finished my four years there I was gone and no looking back - good riddance! College was another matter. I didn't have the opportunity to go back because I was on the other side of the country, but I did miss it and think about it at least.

Well, better my old HS than any other! We do not have much of a rivalry between universities here, as there are not many to choose from, but there is some kind of competition between high schools. And I will always tell you mine is the best, obviously. So still better to do the placement there than anywhere else.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, Buckwheat said:

Hello to you, sir. *curtsey* BTW, there is something on your forehead. :P

Well, better my old HS than any other! We do not have much of a rivalry between universities here, as there are not many to choose from, but there is some kind of competition between high schools. And I will always tell you mine is the best, obviously. So still better to do the placement there than anywhere else.

Today I had lunch with sister. Well, today I had a meal between 4 and 6pm with sister. It would appear that I was either extremely lucky with my teachers or my high school was waaaaaay better than hers even though it’s waaaaaay behind hers in the national rankings. Sister’s teachers are not only terrible human beings they are also terrible professionals.   Anyway, what I’m trying to say here is that a high school is kinda only as good as its teachers make it, so whatever high school you go back to, make sure to better it by being a great teacher, which I’m sure you are. 

9 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Today I had lunch with sister. Well, today I had a meal between 4 and 6pm with sister. It would appear that I was either extremely lucky with my teachers or my high school was waaaaaay better than hers even though it’s waaaaaay behind hers in the national rankings. Sister’s teachers are not only terrible human beings they are also terrible professionals.   Anyway, what I’m trying to say here is that a high school is kinda only as good as its teachers make it, so whatever high school you go back to, make sure to better it by being a great teacher, which I’m sure you are. 

I won't be doing much teaching! I will mostly be listening to what other teachers do there. I will only actually teach for about twice the whole time I am doing this.

18 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I won't be doing much teaching! I will mostly be listening to what other teachers do there. I will only actually teach for about twice the whole time I am doing this.

Oh. I thought you would be doing trial classes or mock classes or whatever they are called. I suppose teacher internships work a little differently here. Well then good luck learning from great teachers! 

4 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh. I thought you would be doing trial classes or mock classes or whatever they are called. I suppose teacher internships work a little differently here. Well then good luck learning from great teachers! 

Yes, I mean, but only like two hours of them. Not like I can change much about the school that way, you know.

Good morning :D, how is everyone?, it’s bright but cold here and we are venturing out for a walk which brings me  on to sharing that I’m thinking I want to get a dog, a fun and rewarding and protecting friend for mini Sith, I haven’t fully decided yet though.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Oh Hello HC!  Long time no see. How are you doing? And your family? 

And hello D_P too! :cheers: 

Hi RB! Things are good here, cold, but I guess Europe has had frigid temps this winter too? Chickee and her bf are coming over for breakfast tomorrow. I'm making waffles! :)

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Hi RB! Things are good here, cold, but I guess Europe has had frigid temps this winter too? Chickee and her bf are coming over for breakfast tomorrow. I'm making waffles! :)

Actually we are having a very mild winter and barely any snow. It has been raining for the whole day where I am now.

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Well the weather is mostly funny in Europe this winter. It’s currently 10+C. Oh the waffles sound great,  Have a great time!

Archived