Why was Lyanna Stark betrothed to Robert Baratheon in particular?

Angel Eyes

3 hours ago, orm irian said:

Ned remembers Lyanna saying of Robert: "Love is sweet, but it cannot change a man's nature."

Lyana is what 14-ish when she says that. She might think that is the case but she lacks the life experience to know that for sure in general or if it woulda apply to Robert a person she might have meet once.

It is a snappy line but it isn't gospel truth.

TBH I always figured Robert was the best match for Lyanna outside of Dorne as he might be the only lord to allow her to do all the things she enjoyed or wanted to try. Sure he might not be 100% faithful but seemingly that is something lords in Westeros cannot be unless they are named Ned Stark and he had to pretend to be a player anyway.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:28 PM, Sourjapes said:

I think that Robert post-Rebellion is a Robert fundamentally unhappy with life, stressed and depressed and as a result his worst character aspects become the dominant facets of his personality.

If he'd had Lyanna... maybe he'd have been happier. Maybe. It's also possible that a relationship with her wouldn't work because he might still fail to remain faithful. It is possible Robert was just destined to be unhappy as an older man because his character flaws were too big for him to conquer, or he simply always lacked the will.

Robert would not be faithful.  Lyanna would be unfaithful as well.  Lyanna is a person who would do as she pleased and the sanctity of marriage is not going to keep her from fooling around if she found another man.  The marriage is not going to be better than Robert and Cersei.  Some of the fans seem to think Lyanna was a person of good character but she was not if she is anything like Brandon and Arya.  

On 9/14/2018 at 8:35 PM, Texas Hold Em said:

The Baratheons and the Starks were the ringleaders of a conspiracy to oust the Targaryens from the throne.

What makes you believe that the Baratheons wanted to oust the Targaryens? Steffron Baratheon was good friends with Aerys and and if it weren't for Lyanna's "kidnapping" there does not seem to be any evidence that Robert had any desire to become King

4 hours ago, Chris Mormont said:

What makes you believe that the Baratheons wanted to oust the Targaryens? Steffron Baratheon was good friends with Aerys and and if it weren't for Lyanna's "kidnapping" there does not seem to be any evidence that Robert had any desire to become King

And Steffron would have been named hand in all likelihood, if not for that pesky drowning. 

On 9/17/2018 at 10:02 AM, shameeka said:

Simple. Robert asked and Rickard didn't have any reasons to say no. And Robert was quite handsome and popular in his prime days. No one thought he would become a fat drunkard like he is now.

He was already a shameless cheat, by the time that he was betrothed to Lyanna, Mya Stone was already born.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:47 AM, Ylath's Snout said:

Lyana is what 14-ish when she says that. She might think that is the case but she lacks the life experience to know that for sure in general or if it woulda apply to Robert a person she might have meet once.

It is a snappy line but it isn't gospel truth.

TBH I always figured Robert was the best match for Lyanna outside of Dorne as he might be the only lord to allow her to do all the things she enjoyed or wanted to try. Sure he might not be 100% faithful but seemingly that is something lords in Westeros cannot be unless they are named Ned Stark and he had to pretend to be a player anyway.

I agree with this; I give Robert the benefit of the doubt and say that he might've been somewhat faithful to Lyanna had they married. He was very young when Mya was born (mid to maybe early teens), and I'm of the personal opinion that you can't really judge an adult for something they did when they were a teenager or a child (depending the seriousness of it, of course). Robert wasn't even bethrothed to her or anyone when he was with Mya's mother, so was Lyanna really in a position to say what he was going to be like in their marriage?

Lords are also famously unfaithful to their wives and their wives just ignore it, so I find it strange that Lyanna had seemingly not been raised to think it no big deal if her future husband were to have one or multiple women on the side.

As for the marriage being unhappy, why does everyone assume that? If you ask me, Robert and Lyanna seem to be good matches for one another; they both love horse riding, hunting and exploring, and Lyanna would have loved to learn how to fight with a sword, which I personally think Robert would allow her to do, for one because I believe he would've been fascinated by a woman who could fight with swords, but also because he loved her very fiercely and would let her do that.

Common interests and common personalities seem to be the recipe for a happy marriage, and looking as an outsider, Robert and Lyanna have both.

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

He was already a shameless cheat, by the time that he was betrothed to Lyanna, Mya Stone was already born.

Having a few bastards before marriage are not that frowned upon in Westeros. Harry has a bastard but he is still popular among women cos he's a handsome bloke.

Archived