Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LHakaLH

Lena Headey is good, but reading the books I picture Cersei more like this

Recommended Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzncgOj1Rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xWonm2RrqE

 

The character's name is Ilithiya from the Starz' series "Spartacus", played by Viva Bianca. After finished watching Spartacus and re-reading AFFC and the Cersei POVs, Illythia's the first thing that came to my mind. I think she manages to nail the character of GRRM's book Cersei down to a T even making up for some of the traits Lena Heady's more sympathetic-less evil TV Cersei lacks; half spoiled brat, half psycho killer, being an incredibly beautiful yet cruel, nasty, dislikable, petty, vindictive, impulsive, promiscuous, stupid woman, hell down to the voice and mannerisms!!  I think she'd make it a real contest as to who you'd hate more, Cersei or Joffrey! It also helps I picture Liam McIntyre (2nd Spartacus) as book Jaime Lol :P

What do you all think? 
 

Edited by LHakaLH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:02 AM, LHakaLH said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzncgOj1Rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xWonm2RrqE

 

The character's name is Ilithiya from the Starz' series "Spartacus", played by Viva Bianca. After finished watching Spartacus and re-reading AFFC and the Cersei POVs, Illythia's the first thing that came to my mind. I think she manages to nail the character of GRRM's book Cersei down to a T even making up for some of the traits Lena Heady's more sympathetic-less evil TV Cersei lacks; half spoiled brat, half psycho killer, being an incredibly beautiful yet cruel, nasty, dislikable, petty, vindictive, impulsive, promiscuous, stupid woman, hell down to the voice and mannerisms!!  I think she'd make it a real contest as to who you'd hate more, Cersei or Joffrey! It also helps I picture Liam McIntyre (2nd Spartacus) as book Jaime Lol :P

What do you all think? 
 

Lena Headey is not beautiful, in the way that Cersei is described as being, but she does act the part very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I really like about Lena, is her resting bitch face. I think it nails Cersei on how I picture her and honestly I have a hard time picturing anyone else being Cersei now ..... 

But if you asked me before the show came about, I could see Viva being the role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 12:13 PM, SeanF said:

Lena Headey is not beautiful, in the way that Cersei is described as being, but she does act the part very well.

I beg to differ. Lena Headey is in fact very beautiful. I guess it's just down to personal opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lena isn't a traditional amazing beauty really but she has moments where she's gorgeous

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

 

But yeah, book Cersei is someone more like that Bianca person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 6:13 AM, SeanF said:

Lena Headey is not beautiful, in the way that Cersei is described as being, but she does act the part very well.

Not only is Lena Headey a beautiful woman, but she plays the part of show Cersei extremely well, she’s easily on the top 3 actors of the show. She may not be book Cersei, but she plays her part extremely well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lena Headey isn't 'book Cersei', I agree. 

She's a cut above her in every way.

I also think Lena is beautiful as Cersei, especially with the long hair in earlier seasons. Not in a frivolous, 'pretty' kind of way I'll grant you - but with a cold, imperious, detached kind of beauty certainly. That, for me at least, fits a machiavellian queen trying to play the game of thrones much better than a flirtatious barbie doll ever would. Just look at how sexy she is in that season 2 scene with Littlefinger (entirely created for the purposes of the show, with no corresponding source in the books): 

 

 

One of the few advantages the TV show has over the books is in its vastly improved depiction of Cersei. The showrunners changed her from a somewhat one-dimensional sociopath on the page into a complicated onscreen antagonist: with depth and surprisingly sympathetic qualities on occasion (note the qualifier, 'on occasion'), despite her otherwise bitchy, power-hungry agendas and capacity for ruthlessness against her enemies. 

But even when I read book Cersei now, I see Lena. She just is Cersei. The character is hers in perpetuity now, as far as I'm concerned. Just a great, layered villain. 

In hindsight, I reckon GRRM would have amended book Cersei to be more like her TV counterpart, if he could go back and re-write. She's just...much more interesting. As GRRM himself once noted in an interview: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/george-r-r-martin-the-man-behind-the-throne-56761/

Quote

We all have reasons for the things we do, even the things that might look evil from the outside. Sometimes they’re based on mistaken assumptions or innate selfishness or psychological compulsions, but they’re still reasons...If you create a fictional character and everybody loves the character, or hates the character, you have probably created a piece of cardboard.

can see where you are coming from regarding Vivia Bianca. She was good at playing an entirely vapid, superficial young woman of vivacious good looks and with an appetite for vindictiveness (and even psychopathy). That might be closer to book Cersei but it's certainly much less compelling in terms of characterisation than Lena's Cersei. There's nothing to a vapid, seductive brat with no real depth than being a vapid, seductive brat with no real depth.  

Lena's Cersei, on the other hand, is far more terrifying precisely because she is so human and in a strange sense sympathetic, despite being a bitch and turning ever more paranoid as the series goes on. That's a hard balance to attain and Lena finds the sweet spot perfectly in her acting.

Unfortunately, book Cersei is a good bit closer to the 'cardboard' cut-out GRRM so studiously avoided in most of his characters (such as the Kingslayer Jaime).

Edited by Krishtotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krishtotter said:

Lena Headey isn't 'book Cersei', I agree. 

She's a cut above her in every way.

I also think Lena is beautiful as Cersei, especially with the long hair in earlier seasons. Not in a frivolous, 'pretty' kind of way I'll grant you - but with a cold, imperious, detached kind of beauty certainly. That, for me at least, fits a machiavellian queen trying to play the game of thrones much better than a flirtatious barbie doll ever would. Just look at how sexy she is in that season 2 scene with Littlefinger (entirely created for the purposes of the show, with no corresponding source in the books): 

 

 

One of the few advantages the TV show has over the books is in its vastly improved depiction of Cersei. The showrunners changed her from a somewhat one-dimensional sociopath on the page into a complicated onscreen antagonist: with depth and surprisingly sympathetic qualities on occasion (note the qualifier, 'on occasion'), despite her otherwise bitchy, power-hungry agendas and capacity for ruthlessness against her enemies. 

But even when I read book Cersei now, I see Lena. She just is Cersei. The character is hers in perpetuity now, as far as I'm concerned. Just a great, layered villain. 

In hindsight, I reckon GRRM would have amended book Cersei to be more like her TV counterpart, if he could go back and re-write. She's just...much more interesting. As GRRM himself once noted in an interview: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/george-r-r-martin-the-man-behind-the-throne-56761/

can see where you are coming from regarding Vivia Bianca. She was good at playing an entirely vapid, superficial young woman of vivacious good looks and with an appetite for vindictiveness (and even psychopathy). That might be closer to book Cersei but it's certainly much less compelling in terms of characterisation than Lena's Cersei. There's nothing to a vapid, seductive brat with no real depth than being a vapid, seductive brat with no real depth.  

Lena's Cersei, on the other hand, is far more terrifying precisely because she is so human and in a strange sense sympathetic, despite being a bitch and turning ever more paranoid as the series goes on. That's a hard balance to attain and Lena finds the sweet spot perfectly in her acting.

Unfortunately, book Cersei is a good bit closer to the 'cardboard' cut-out GRRM so studiously avoided in most of his characters (such as the Kingslayer Jaime).

Book Cersei is one of the most interesting characters on the saga. Not someone you're likely to like but her screwed-upness is fascinating. Like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. I love Lena’s performance but I’ll take stupid psycho trainwreck over opressed misunderstood tiger mom any day!

Edited by LHakaLH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 4:46 PM, LHakaLH said:

Book Cersei is one of the most interesting characters on the saga. Not someone you're likely to like but her screwed-upness is fascinating. Like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. I love Lena’s performance but I’ll take stupid psycho trainwreck over opressed misunderstood tiger mom any day!

I find book Cersei extremely one dimensional. I personally know a few one dimensional people in real life, so I'm not questioning GRRM's decision to write her as such. I just didn't find her compelling to read. I find show Cersei much more interesting than book Cersei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 12:47 PM, Krishtotter said:

Lena Headey isn't 'book Cersei', I agree. 

She's a cut above her in every way.

I also think Lena is beautiful as Cersei, especially with the long hair in earlier seasons. Not in a frivolous, 'pretty' kind of way I'll grant you - but with a cold, imperious, detached kind of beauty certainly. That, for me at least, fits a machiavellian queen trying to play the game of thrones much better than a flirtatious barbie doll ever would. Just look at how sexy she is in that season 2 scene with Littlefinger (entirely created for the purposes of the show, with no corresponding source in the books): 

 

 

One of the few advantages the TV show has over the books is in its vastly improved depiction of Cersei. The showrunners changed her from a somewhat one-dimensional sociopath on the page into a complicated onscreen antagonist: with depth and surprisingly sympathetic qualities on occasion (note the qualifier, 'on occasion'), despite her otherwise bitchy, power-hungry agendas and capacity for ruthlessness against her enemies. 

But even when I read book Cersei now, I see Lena. She just is Cersei. The character is hers in perpetuity now, as far as I'm concerned. Just a great, layered villain. 

In hindsight, I reckon GRRM would have amended book Cersei to be more like her TV counterpart, if he could go back and re-write. She's just...much more interesting. As GRRM himself once noted in an interview: 

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/george-r-r-martin-the-man-behind-the-throne-56761/

can see where you are coming from regarding Vivia Bianca. She was good at playing an entirely vapid, superficial young woman of vivacious good looks and with an appetite for vindictiveness (and even psychopathy). That might be closer to book Cersei but it's certainly much less compelling in terms of characterisation than Lena's Cersei. There's nothing to a vapid, seductive brat with no real depth than being a vapid, seductive brat with no real depth.  

Lena's Cersei, on the other hand, is far more terrifying precisely because she is so human and in a strange sense sympathetic, despite being a bitch and turning ever more paranoid as the series goes on. That's a hard balance to attain and Lena finds the sweet spot perfectly in her acting.

Unfortunately, book Cersei is a good bit closer to the 'cardboard' cut-out GRRM so studiously avoided in most of his characters (such as the Kingslayer Jaime).

Well said. Show Cersei is incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that beauty is up to the eye of the beholder but Cersei as she was described in the book is someone that would cause someone to walk into a Castle Wall as they are too busy looking at her. Lena is not that type of person to me. The little girl they had the flashback scene with a couple of years ago was not it either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

The little girl they had the flashback scene with a couple of years ago was not it either. 

Why don't you take a seat over there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2018 at 5:46 PM, LHakaLH said:

Book Cersei is one of the most interesting characters on the saga. Not someone you're likely to like but her screwed-upness is fascinating. Like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. I love Lena’s performance but I’ll take stupid psycho trainwreck over opressed misunderstood tiger mom any day!

Book Cersei is an alcoholic.

Show Cersei is Lena, the amazing, talented, and dedicated actor. She embodies the lioness animal in her portrayal from her facial muscles to the tenseness in her body. Her internal monologue is spot on imo. She shows behaviors she inherited from her Uncle Kevan, and her father Tywin. I wonder if Joanna was similar to Cersei when she was alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 2:47 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

I agree that beauty is up to the eye of the beholder but Cersei as she was described in the book is someone that would cause someone to walk into a Castle Wall as they are too busy looking at her. Lena is not that type of person to me. The little girl they had the flashback scene with a couple of years ago was not it either. 

She's so perfect for (book) Cersei it's scary

Edited by LHakaLH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2018 at 3:09 PM, alostsister said:

Book Cersei is an alcoholic.

Show Cersei is Lena, the amazing, talented, and dedicated actor. She embodies the lioness animal in her portrayal from her facial muscles to the tenseness in her body. Her internal monologue is spot on imo. She shows behaviors she inherited from her Uncle Kevan, and her father Tywin. I wonder if Joanna was similar to Cersei when she was alive.

Completely agree. Lena is easily on the top best 3 actors (if not the best actor) on the show. My problem with her is that she's just not book Cersei, she's not the character GRRM wrote, but the character D&D wrote; an opressed, abused, misunderstood tiger mom who, despite all her flaws, loves her children. GRRM wrote Cersei  not only as an alcoholic, but as this twisted, psychotic, paranoid, stupid, slutty, misogynistic, narcissistic practically unredeemable character; the single most delusionally arrogant person in all of Westeros. Her narcissism and thirst for power is actually stronger than her so-called love for her children (i.e The rule was hers; Cersei did not mean to give it up until Tommen came of age. I waited, so can he. I waited half my life. She had played the dutiful daughter, the blushing bride, the pliant wife. She had suffered Robert’s drunken groping, Jaime’s jealousy, Renly’s mockery, Varys with his titters, Stannis endlessly grinding his teeth. AFFC, Cersei V)  or her brother/lover. She basically "loves" them for what they represent to her; power (Tommen) and a twisted idealized male version of herself (Jaime), a huge contrast from D&D's character.


For example, S5 - the show's equivalent of AFFC and Cersei's rise to power and eventual downfall (both physically and psychologically) - was told to us through the eyes of Cersei  who up until that point was a rather opaque villain. In the first 3 books we only saw her through the eyes of others (Ned, Tyrion, Sansa, Jaime) and she's pretty much the typical evil queen, "cartoonish and one-dimensional"  as quoted here and on several other posts. It is not until book 4 that we finally go inside her head and realize just how truly f*cked up, twisted and psychotic this woman really is. She has slipped into deep paranoia due to a prophecy that foretold of all her children dying (triggered by Joff’s death), a younger and more beautiful queen casting her down (triggered by Marg’s arrival), and then ultimately her death by her little brother, which she interpreted to mean Tyrion. 

GRRM has said that the prophecy is 100% self fulling. Cersei is determined to capture Tyrion and blindly believes him to be colluding against her  (to the point where she believes he's actually hiding inside the castle's walls stalking her and Tommen's every move) with half the realm, while at the same time she also projects her paranoia onto Margaery, viewing her as a ruthless schemer with spies all around who is waiting to cast Cersei aside, rather than a slightly above-average-intelligence girl (yes, she's clearly a pawn by her smarter, conniving grandmother, the true Tyrell mastermind) who likes to spend her free time playing and gossping with her cousins, picking flowers, acting more like a big sister than a wife to Tommen and giving him kittens. Due to Cersei’s obsession with subverting the prophecy’s outcome, she attempts to frame Margaery for adultery using every means possible, for example the extensive torture of a young, innocent bard : 

In the end the Blue Bard told [Cersei and Qyburn] his whole life, back to his first name day. His father had been a chandler and Wat was raised to that trade, but as a boy he found he had more skill at making lutes than barrels. When he was twelve he ran off to join a troupe of musicians he had heard performing at a fair. He had wandered half the Reach before coming to King’s Landing in hopes of finding favor at court.

Yes. Cersei blamed Margaery Tyrell for this. If not for her, Wat might have lived a long and fruitful life, singing his little songs and bedding pig girls and crofter’s daughters. Her scheming forced this on me. She has soiled me with her treachery.

Cersei also arms the Faith because she doesn’t want to pay the crown's debt to the church or deal with beggars and just sleeps with a variety of men for her own aims (not that we judge, but she’s not doing it for comfort or intimacy, or to express her sexuality; she’s just doing it to use them and show her "power" over them) including the murder of the former High Septon simply because Tyrion appointed him. So when she is finally caught in her own trap due to the false testimony of one of the men she slept with, it is actually earned. Yet as GRRM is so good at doing, we weren’t able to savor her “comeuppance,” because Cersei deserved to do the WoS no more than Theon deserved to become Reek. Damn you GRMM with your moral ambiguity and perversion of wish-fulfillment!

So what was the “point”? That in a situation of her own making, Cersei cast herself down on charges that were quite true, and quite recent.

What did D&D give us? They gave us "Carol", the harsh but sympathetic oppressed and misunderstood tiger-mom who's legitimately justified in her paranoia about wanting to protect her baby boy from a clearly scheming vixen of a wife who manipulates him through sex and may also be the younger, more beautiful queen. And we know this because Marg outright tells Loras she plans on removing "Carol" from power. They also had Tommen and Myrcella be in very real (not just perceived or paranoia-projected) danger.

"Carol" was also tricked by the High Sparrow, who presented himself as a kindly grandpa, speaking against the sparrows’ shaming of the former High Septon (quite the contrast from Cersei arming the Faith Millitant out of blind stupidity and pettiness of not wanting to pay the crown's debt, followed by her stupid declaration of “Cersei, First of Her Name”). 

So when "Carol" armed the Faith Militant as her only potential recourse against her evil scheming inlaws. There was literally no blood on "Carol"’s hands this season, unless you count a perjury trap. Quite the tonal difference from torturing the Blue Bard. The charges she ended up getting caught on were having sad, comforting sex a couple of times with Lancel (which they retconned to say happened during her marriage to Robert, though that was never in the show). D&D also went to great lengths this season to make her incestuous relationship with Jaime-Larry seem like something reasonable and compassionate people would support (Jaime-Larry proudly championing “you don’t choose who you love” in his final scene), so even the charges of “high treason” seemed unfair and archaic. 

And not just on S5, the "Carol-ization" of Cersei goes all the way back to the early seasons, though its consequences were seen the most on S5; trying for years to make her marriage to Robert work even after the Lyanna incident, crying when she lost her black-haired first son by Robert, is deeply shaken and disturbed at Joffrey ordering the murdering Robert's baby bastards, going as far as to kill Tommen herself to keep him safe in case Stannis took KL, admitting Joffrey was a psycho monster (to Tyrion no less!!). Things book Cersei would never do or say.

In short, GoT and D&D gave us  "Carol", the super-mom who had to fight the patriarchy to save her kids, and then randomly armed zealots along the way who turned around and slut-shamed her for sad, comfort sex she had years ago; in few words, a victim . Literally the opposite of the Cersei Lannister GRMM wrote and her entire AFFC arc (hell her entire ASOIAF arc). 

I stand by what I say, as much as I love Lena's portrayal, I'll take psycho book Cersei over hers any day of the week.

There's so much more to Cersei than just a "resting bitch face".  I recommend hearing this for more details regarding this.

 

 

 

Edited by LHakaLH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, LHakaLH said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNzncgOj1Rg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xWonm2RrqE

 

The character's name is Ilithiya from the Starz' series "Spartacus", played by Viva Bianca. After finished watching Spartacus and re-reading AFFC and the Cersei POVs, Illythia's the first thing that came to my mind. I think she manages to nail the character of GRRM's book Cersei down to a T even making up for some of the traits Lena Heady's more sympathetic-less evil TV Cersei lacks; half spoiled brat, half psycho killer, being an incredibly beautiful yet cruel, nasty, dislikable, petty, vindictive, impulsive, promiscuous, stupid woman, hell down to the voice and mannerisms!!  I think she'd make it a real contest as to who you'd hate more, Cersei or Joffrey! It also helps I picture Liam McIntyre (2nd Spartacus) as book Jaime Lol :P

What do you all think? 
 

 

Wow wow wow! I've not seen this show, but watching this video is like watching Book Cersei incarnated.

I've always been fascinated by Book Cersei as the polar opposite of Book Brienne. The former has the most ideal feminine exterior while internalizing all the masculine badness (hunger for power, cruelty, apathy, sexual predation). The latter is as far from feminine beauty as can be, but embodies all the masculine virtues (bravery, steadfastness, sympathy for and protection of the weak and helpless). It's fascinating to see Jaime's gravitation from the former to the latter as a part of his maturation. And Viva Blanca really embodies the sexualized beauty, fierceness, viciousness, and petty manipulativeness very, very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2018 at 4:16 PM, omegaxx said:

 

Wow wow wow! I've not seen this show, but watching this video is like watching Book Cersei incarnated.

I've always been fascinated by Book Cersei as the polar opposite of Book Brienne. The former has the most ideal feminine exterior while internalizing all the masculine badness (hunger for power, cruelty, apathy, sexual predation). The latter is as far from feminine beauty as can be, but embodies all the masculine virtues (bravery, steadfastness, sympathy for and protection of the weak and helpless). It's fascinating to see Jaime's gravitation from the former to the latter as a part of his maturation. And Viva Blanca really embodies the sexualized beauty, fierceness, viciousness, and petty manipulativeness very, very well.

I highly recommend Spartacus (it's on Netflix!), a great entertaining show (a lot of nudity too hehe female and male). Minus the alcoholism, penis envy, stupidity and paranoia, Ilithyia/Viva Bianca pretty much is book Cersei. Even on the 'Vengeance' season, her relationship with Lucretia (Lucy Lawless) can be compared to that of Cersei and Taena Merryweather, particularly in how Taena plays Cersei, who doesn't even suspect she's being played.  

Agree on Brienne being the opposite of Cersei but as for Jaime, I must be the only one to not see his "maduration"/"redemption"/WE. I mean the only reason he's turned on Cersei is because he discovered she's been cheating on him and sleeping around with other men, not because he realized just how much of a monster she truly is. Perhaps someone could clarify me more on that part.

Edited by LHakaLH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

Agree on Brienne being the opposite of Cersei but as for Jaime, I must be the only one to not see his "maduration"/"redemption"/WE. I mean the only reason he's turned on Cersei is because he learned she's being cheating on him, not because he sees her as the monster she truly is. Perhaps someone could clarify me more on that part.

I went back to AFFC to look up the relevant passages but, as you say, there are preciously few that directly address this point. I reread AFFC Jaime VII in the process. I think my impression forms from a few sources:

1) Jaime is indeed obsessed with Cersei's infidelity, but his internal monologue casts her in increasingly vulgar and misogynistic terms (AFFC, Jaime VII: he directly compares Cersei directly to Tyrion's whores when "conversing" with Ilyn Payne).

2) He is also struggling to recast himself. I think Brienne has awakened in him the distant memory of his dreams of chivalric virtue and honor. Without a way to fulfill them, having lost both his 1) reputation and 2) sword hand, Jaime copes by sublimating his loss into a sense of responsibility to Tommen, his House and the Realm.

3) The strong sense of the passage of time so beautiful evoked at the end of AFFC Jaime VII when the snow begins falling, transforming both the physical but also the political and interpersonal landscape (Jaime's reaction is telling: he immediately begins to worry about grain stores [change in political landscape] and cast himself in Tywin's position ["He found himself wondering what his father would do to feed the realm"]. As he reads Cersei's letter, "[a] snowflake landed on the letter". The snow is transforming everything, Jaime included. As he rolls up the parchment to throw into the fire, I don't think it's bitterness at Cersei's infidelity that remains in him: it's a sense of realization that, no matter what becomes of Cersei, she no longer matters to who he is and who he wants to be.

Edited by omegaxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 1:30 PM, LHakaLH said:

Completely agree. Lena is easily on the top best 3 actors (if not the best actor) on the show. My problem with her is that she's just not book Cersei, she's not the character GRRM wrote, but the character D&D wrote; an opressed, abused, misunderstood tiger mom who, despite all her flaws, loves her children. GRRM wrote Cersei  not only as an alcoholic, but as this twisted, psychotic, paranoid, stupid, slutty, misogynistic, narcissistic practically unredeemable character; the single most delusionally arrogant person in all of Westeros. Her narcissism and thirst for power is actually stronger than her so-called love for her children (i.e The rule was hers; Cersei did not mean to give it up until Tommen came of age. I waited, so can he. I waited half my life. She had played the dutiful daughter, the blushing bride, the pliant wife. She had suffered Robert’s drunken groping, Jaime’s jealousy, Renly’s mockery, Varys with his titters, Stannis endlessly grinding his teeth. AFFC, Cersei V)  or her brother/lover. She basically "loves" them for what they represent to her; power (Tommen) and a twisted idealized male version of herself (Jaime), a huge contrast from D&D's character.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A lot of who Cersei is comes from the learned behaviors of her family- with the exceptions of Dorne and Targaryen women, women tended to be relegated to non-leadership positions.Based on your above argument, I would argue that we have no seen the true Cersei emerge- she plays parts to placate and protect her children and be the ideal woman whom she was supposed to be. How much time did she spend with Joanna, her mother? Reminds me of the line from "Aberdeen", SS says to LH, his daughter in the film, " You're as predatory as a man."  Ironically, Cersei seems to resent being a woman- even when she sleeps with the "tyroshi swamp". 

Part of the magic of reading and writing, the reader gets to use his/her own interpretation. The choice is gone when the story is made visual. 




 

 

On 9/30/2018 at 4:33 PM, LHakaLH said:

 

Agree on Brienne being the opposite of Cersei but as for Jaime, I must be the only one to not see his "maduration"/"redemption"/WE. I mean the only reason he's turned on Cersei is because he learned she's being cheating on him, not because he sees her as the monster she truly is. Perhaps someone could clarify me more on that part.

Jaime has been through a lot of trying experiences. I don't agree that he turned on Cersei because of Lancel. Her letter to him at the end of FFC  was a desperate cry for help. In the books, the readers have yet to travel that journey further.  Brienne is Cersei's foil. And we readers don't know what happened to her either.  In a weird way she is following Jaime's arc as U-Cat's prisoner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×