Lena Headey is good, but reading the books I picture Cersei more like this

LHakaLH

20 hours ago, alostsister said:

A lot of who Cersei is comes from the learned behaviors of her family- with the exceptions of Dorne and Targaryen women, women tended to be relegated to non-leadership positions.Based on your above argument, I would argue that we have no seen the true Cersei emerge- she plays parts to placate and protect her children and be the ideal woman whom she was supposed to be. How much time did she spend with Joanna, her mother? Reminds me of the line from "Aberdeen", SS says to LH, his daughter in the film, " You're as predatory as a man."  Ironically, Cersei seems to resent being a woman- even when she sleeps with the "tyroshi swamp". 

Part of the magic of reading and writing, the reader gets to use his/her own interpretation. The choice is gone when the story is made visual. 

But we have seen Cersei's POVs and so far she's been outed as a complete narcassist and utterly incompetent at the game of thrones.  That's not to say she hasn't been successful, but all her successes are just steps on the way to ultimate and utter failure.  She's setting the house on fire to kill bothersome pests, not realizing the whole building is going to collapse on her.  

Now if GRRM wants to, she has an opportunity moment at the end of DWD to get some major character development and learn from all the failures that culminated in her walk of shame.  But we'll have to wait until the next book to see where that goes.

But I suspect that Cersei is on her final downward spiral now, and WoW will be the book she dies in.  She won't get her trial by combat, and Taena will betray her just like Shae betrayed Tyrion, and Cersei will do something so reprehensible that she'll be killed by Jamie.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:22 PM, alostsister said:

A lot of who Cersei is comes from the learned behaviors of her family- with the exceptions of Dorne and Targaryen women, women tended to be relegated to non-leadership positions.Based on your above argument, I would argue that we have no seen the true Cersei emerge- she plays parts to placate and protect her children and be the ideal woman whom she was supposed to be. How much time did she spend with Joanna, her mother? Reminds me of the line from "Aberdeen", SS says to LH, his daughter in the film, " You're as predatory as a man."  Ironically, Cersei seems to resent being a woman- even when she sleeps with the "tyroshi swamp". 

Part of the magic of reading and writing, the reader gets to use his/her own interpretation. The choice is gone when the story is made visual. 

Are you talking about book Cersei or show Cersei?

On 10/5/2018 at 10:34 AM, LHakaLH said:

Are you talking about book Cersei or show Cersei?

Book Cersei interpretation, but the visual Cersei would be LH's choices.

One of my professors stressed the importance of the writer's intention and how actors and designers and directors needed to remain true and respect the written word. She is a published playwright, and at that young age when she taught me, I totally didn't understand.  I wonder if it is the same with text to show/film adaptations where there are more writers. I could be totally wrong though, just imagining cause I'm revising a book I wrote and unpublished lol.

On 10/11/2018 at 7:24 PM, of man and wolf said:

gotta say i think lena is hotter than whoever that was in the opening post of this thread. That woman kinda looks like an older myrcella

Would make sense for (Cersei) to look like an older Myrcella, she’s her mother after all lol

• 1 month later...

I think that Lena Heady does a great job.  Although if you want a good idea of what GRRM had in mind for Cersei go look at these,

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/george-r-r-martin-masterworks/cersei-lannister.html

https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/george-r-r-martin-masterworks/cersei-lannister-on-lion-fainting-couch.html

This line of miniatures is made with GRRM's explicit approval.  Actually, I converted Jon Snow into Prince Valiant and use Cersei as Queen Aleta.  My painting isn't good enough to show them here.  I am more of an Arthurian fan though.

Archived