What if The Iron Throne Broke Apart?

Brandon Ice-Eyes

So the year is 211 AC The great spring sickness occurred and house Targaryen is extinct. With all the targaryens extinct and well as all the bastards of House Targaryen extinct, (Bloodraven, bittersteel etc,) Westeros descends into chaos and the resulting war sees each kingdom break away until the iron throne as a whole dissolves. So here’s my prediction for what happens next. 

The Crownlands

So the crownlands as a whole would most likely be absorbed. The north crownlands, ‘the lands north of the black water rush,’ would be absorbed by the river lands, whereas the southern crownlands, lands south of the black water rush in the crownlands, would be absorbed by the stormlands. I’d imagine dragonstone would go to the velaryons, who would swear fealty to the stormlands. As a result dragonstone would become disputed between the river king and storm king. As well as that, kings landing would be in the domain of the storm king but I’d imagine it would become heavily disputed between the stormlands and riverlands perhaps seeing a large population decrease due to war. Who rules kings landing is a mystery to be frank.

The Riverlands And Stormlands

These two regions would see minor civil war however I’d imagine by the lords of Tully and Baratheon would solidify there position of kingship over their respective region. No river land house would be as powerful as house Tully, save house Frey and Mallister, and no house has reason to rebel, so they’d be fairly secure. House Baratheon can claim kingship through the female line, Argella Durrandon, So they shouldn’t have too many problems either. I believe they may dispute and fight with the riverlands over kings landing and the gullet but with the kingsdom only splitting up recently, people wouldn’t be as willing to wage war as they were 200 years prior. 

Dorne, The North, The Vale and The Westerlands.

These regions are all in the same bracket as they should have all no excuse to not secure there power in their region. They all have ancient claims to there region, House Martells is not as ancient but still the only ones to fully unite dorne, so each of the four regions may be challanenged by there most powerful vassal but I’d imagine they’d secure there position and keep the peace whilst everyone stops flinching at the breaking of the iron thrones authority. 

The Iron Islands

Now I might have said House Greyjoy would be challenges by their vassals however I have to take into account that I am writing from the year 211 AC, when Dagon Greyjoy sat the sea stone chair. Dagon is revered by the ironborn as a hero who reaved the sunset sea, having the wolf chase its tail and the lions mane in knots. He’d secure his power with ease due to his martial prowess. If i chose another date, I’d think House Volmark and House Drumm may challenge there power but if the Greyjoy made good alliance, them claiming descent from the grey king and having ruled the ironborn for 200 years may be enough to keep the krakens in power.

The Reach

Last but most certainty not least,  The reach. This one took a lot of thought for considering my timeline from where I wrote this may be difficult considering the current warden of the south. The current lord of high garden is Leo ‘The Longthorn’ Tyrell. Considered the greatest Tyrell to date post Aegons conquest. Famed for his martial prowess, it would be interesting to see if he could bring the reach lords to heel. House florent would most certainly challenge him as well as lord gormon peake. I’m not sure how this play out however civil war seems likely, very likely. Leave how you think Leo’s fate would be in a comment down below. If we were going from a different date with a less impressive Tyrell in power, then they’re  most certainly doomed. House Tyrell’s bloodline isn’t noble enough and they’ll struggle to shake the view of there blood not being noble enough and being upstarts. I’d imagine it would be a contest between the Hightower’s, Redwynes and Florent’s for kingship. If House Hightower had an ambitious lord, Not sure who would be the lord of oldtown during the chosen period, then they’re manpower and resources would prevail, but if they favoured peace and trade as they have historically, then it could be a long bloody war for the descendants of Garth Greenhand.

Conclusion

Overall, it would shake the power balance and for a time, a lot of people would flinch at the loss of the Targaryen regime and central authority, but over time people would adapt and old feuds would re-ermege, Those being: The North and Vales dispute over the three sisters - The Reach and The Westerlands. Eventually, low level warfare would resume for at least 2 or 3 of the kingdoms all the time as it was prior to aegons landing. I can’t imagine the iron throne re-forming as the newly crowned kings won’t be keen to give up there new found royal status and prestige. 

Make sure to give your thoughts down below in detail, and tell me what you think of my Scenario. Thanks for reading and your time :)

48 minutes ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

So the year is 211 AC The great spring sickness occurred and house Targaryen is extinct. Westeros descends into chaos and the resulting war sees each kingdom break away until the iron throne as a whole dissolves. So here’s my prediction for what happens next. 

The Crownlands

So the crownlands as a whole would most likely be absorbed. The north crownlands, ‘the lands north of the black water rush,’ would be absorbed by the river lands, whereas the southern crownlands, lands south of the black water rush in the crownlands, would be absorbed by the stormlands. I’d imagine dragonstone would go to the velaryons, who would swear fealty to the stormlands. As a result dragonstone would become disputed between the river king and storm king. As well as that, kings landing would be in the domain of the storm king but I’d imagine it would become heavily disputed between the stormlands and riverlands perhaps seeing a large population decrease due to war. Who rules kings landing is a mystery to be frank.

The Riverlands And Stormlands

These two regions would see minor civil war however I’d imagine by the lords of Tully and Baratheon would solidify there position of kingship over their respective region. No river land house would be as powerful as house Tully, save house Frey and Mallister, and no house has reason to rebel, so they’d be fairly secure. House Baratheon can claim kingship through the female line, Argella Durrandon, So they shouldn’t have too many problems either. I believe they may dispute and fight with the riverlands over kings landing and the gullet but with the kingsdom only splitting up recently, people wouldn’t be as willing to wage war as they were 200 years prior. 

Dorne, The North, The Vale and The Westerlands.

These regions are all in the same bracket as they should have all no excuse to not secure there power in their region. They all have ancient claims to there region, House Martells is not as ancient but still the only ones to fully unite dorne, so each of the four regions may be challanenged by there most powerful vassal but I’d imagine they’d secure there position and keep the peace whilst everyone stops flinching at the breaking of the iron thrones authority. 

The Iron Islands

Now I might have said House Greyjoy would be challenges by their vassals however I have to take into account that I am writing from the year 211 AC, when Dagon Greyjoy sat the sea stone chair. Dagon is revered by the ironborn as a hero who reaved the sunset sea, having the wolf chase its tail and the lions mane in knots. He’d secure his power with ease due to his martial prowess. If i chose another date, I’d think House Volmark and House Drumm may challenge there power but if the Greyjoy made good alliance, them claiming descent from the grey king and having ruled the ironborn for 200 years may be enough to keep the krakens in power.

The Reach

Last but most certainty not least,  The reach. This one took a lot of thought for considering my timeline from where I wrote this may be difficult considering the current warden of the south. The current lord of high garden is Leo ‘The Longthorn’ Tyrell. Considered the greatest Tyrell to date post Aegons conquest. Famed for his martial prowess, it would be interesting to see if he could bring the reach lords to heel. House florent would most certainly challenge him as well as lord gormon peake. I’m not sure how this play out however civil war seems likely, very likely. Leave how you think Leo’s fate would be in a comment down below. If we were going from a different date with a less impressive Tyrell in power, then they’re  most certainly doomed. House Tyrell’s bloodline isn’t noble enough and they’ll struggle to shake the view of there blood not being noble enough and being upstarts. I’d imagine it would be a contest between the Hightower’s, Redwynes and Florent’s for kingship. If House Hightower had an ambitious lord, Not sure who would be the lord of oldtown during the chosen period, then they’re manpower and resources would prevail, but if they favoured peace and trade as they have historically, then it could be a long bloody war for the descendants of Garth Greenhand.

Conclusion

Overall, it would shake the power balance and for a time, a lot of people would flinch at the loss of the Targaryen regime and central authority, but over time people would adapt and old feuds would re-ermege, Those being: The North and Vales dispute over the three sisters - The Reach and The Westerlands. Eventually, low level warfare would resume for at least 2 or 3 of the kingdoms all the time as it was prior to aegons landing. I can’t imagine the iron throne re-forming as the newly crowned kings won’t be keen to give up there new found royal status and prestige. 

Make sure to give your thoughts down below in detail, and tell me what you think of my Scenario. Thanks for reading and your time :)

Ageees it wpuldnt reform

The targs and their dragons were the power that held it all together minus them no one has the strength to rule it all

Bloodraven is a Rivers not Targ, so if he is still alive he would be stronger than some other players. After all he had been real ruler of kingdom during reign of Aerys I.

Another possible player in Riverlands is Danelle Lothston. In fact I suspect why she and her house have so bad reputation is that she was lover and ally of Brandon Rivers and that was  real reason why she and her house were wiped out by Aegon V and Tullys. But just now all Targs are dead so if Bloodraven and Mad Danelle are alive they would have free hands to slaughter all their enemies. Naturally starting by wiping out Tullys :)

Blackfyres and even Bittersteel himself are not Targs either and so if they are still around they would make their claims too.

1 hour ago, Loose Bolt said:

Bloodraven is a Rivers not Targ, so if he is still alive he would be stronger than some other players. After all he had been real ruler of kingdom during reign of Aerys I.

Another possible player in Riverlands is Danelle Lothston. In fact I suspect why she and her house have so bad reputation is that she was lover and ally of Brandon Rivers and that was  real reason why she and her house were wiped out by Aegon V and Tullys. But just now all Targs are dead so if Bloodraven and Mad Danelle are alive they would have free hands to slaughter all their enemies. Naturally starting by wiping out Tullys :)

Blackfyres and even Bittersteel himself are not Targs either and so if they are still around they would make their claims too.

Aha, I’m probably just gonna pretend the targ bastards are gone to lol, I’ll edit it into the original post :)

On 9/15/2018 at 5:56 PM, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Who rules kings landing is a mystery to be frank.

The Iron Islands

I think Kings Landing would be essentially destroyed to prevent it ever being a seat of power again. If the fragmented kingdoms that remain were smart it would be either destroyed or shared, e.g Dornish quarter, Northern quarter etc. 

I could see a powerful ruler like Dagon Greyjoy establishing a colony somewhere in Essos, maybe in the disputed lands.

I like your ideas!

Westeros did not break up in 283, nor in 131. By 131, enough people wanted Westeros to not break up.

What if Iron Throne broke up? It is ordinary steel - not stainless. It is not designed for easy access between the blades for regular oiling and rust protection. So what happens if/when too many load paths in the interior rust through?

1 hour ago, Jaak said:

Westeros did not break up in 283, nor in 131. By 131, enough people wanted Westeros to not break up.

What if Iron Throne broke up? It is ordinary steel - not stainless. It is not designed for easy access between the blades for regular oiling and rust protection. So what happens if/when too many load paths in the interior rust through?

If it'll hold Aegon IV, it ain't gonna break. LOL

On 9/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

If it'll hold Aegon IV, it ain't gonna break. LOL

A century ago.

Yes, it bore Robert. And Tommen is chubby, but not as heavy yet as he might become while adult.

At which age will Tommen reach Robert´s weight?

Archived