Jump to content
Seaserpent

Timeline history ASOIAF same as Earths

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody, this is my first post about the time lime of asoiaf.

When i red the books years ago, the first thing that i think was odd was the extreme long mid evil period, with knights for thousands of years in Westeros.

My opion is that the timeline has to be much shorter and i think its more closer to our own history simplefied:

Stone age:   till        5000 years ago (children/Giants) 
bronze age: approx 5000 years ago (first men)
Iron age:                  3000 years ago (andals)
Wester Roman Empire 1500 years ago (targaryans)
Golden age:              300 years ago (not there yet???)

I think we are around 1000 years further than the time where this story is in right now. So in asoiaf the andals came 2000 years ago and the first men 4000 years ago. The Western Roman empire will be around the targaryan invasion who also went west after the Doom (first to Dragonstone and later to the main land! ALexandre the Great lived also 1700 years ago in our time and around 700 years ago in Essos there is Garin the great. So placing asoiaf 1000 years ago in our time looks quite accurate, maybe some hundreds of years more or less. 

There is many evidence and quotes of george rr martin that the timeline is not the correct one. My own main evidence is the grey king in the world of ice and fire, who was the first high king of the iron island, after him 38 men of house greyiron ruled the iron islands till the Andals came and the half more of other houses, makes a total of 57. so before the Andals came 57 high kings were chosen in the kingsmood.
When the greyking really lived 10.000 years ago, than those high kings lived inhumanly long. 2000/57 avarage of 35 years would be more logical. When the Andals came, the greyirons were extinct. If all the stories of the greyirons were 10.000 years ago, ther is now way we got so detailed information of them.

There  is more evidence, that the time line at least is much shorter. Durrandon had not lived for thousand of years, i think there is only one and that is the first. Durran and a first men warrior king that build a keep that later became storms, So also here the timeline is much shorter. The same with the other houses with a strange history if you put it in time perspective. But with the Iron Born the world of ice and fire give us more inside information in how many kings has ruled the islands.    

I am sorry for my bad english, but are there more people who think the timeline has to be much shorter and looks like earths time or is more longer than that?

 

Edited by Seaserpent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Seaserpent said:

Hello everybody, this is my first post about the time lime of asoiaf.

When i red the books years ago, the first thing that i think was odd was the extreme long mid evil period, with knights for thousands of years in Westeros.

My opion is that the timeline has to be much shorter and i think its more closer to our own history simplefied:

Stone age:   till        5000 years ago (children/Giants) 
bronze age: approx 5000 years ago (first men)
Iron age:                  3000 years ago (andals)
Wester Roman Empire 1500 years ago (targaryans)
Golden age:              300 years ago (not there yet???)

I think we are around 1000 years further than the time where this story is in right now. So in asoiaf the andals came 2000 years ago and the first men 4000 years ago. The Western Roman empire will be around the targaryan invasion who also went west after the Doom (first to Dragonstone and later to the main land! ALexandre the Great lived also 1700 years ago in our time and around 700 years ago in Essos there is Garin the great. So placing asoiaf 1000 years ago in our time looks quite accurate, maybe some hundreds of years more or less. 

There is many evidence and quotes of george rr martin that the timeline is not the correct one. My own main evidence is the grey king in the world of ice and fire, who was the first high king of the iron island, after him 38 men of house greyiron ruled the iron islands till the Andals came and the half more of other houses, makes a total of 57. so before the Andals came 57 high kings were chosen in the kingsmood.
When the greyking really lived 10.000 years ago, than those high kings lived inhumanly long. 2000/57 avarage of 35 years would be more logical. When the Andals came, the greyirons were extinct. If all the stories of the greyirons were 10.000 years ago, ther is now way we got so detailed information of them.

There  is more evidence, that the time line at least is much shorter. Durrandon had not lived for thousand of years, i think there is only one and that is the first. Durran and a first men warrior king that build a keep that later became storms, So also here the timeline is much shorter. The same with the other houses with a strange history if you put it in time perspective. But with the Iron Born the world of ice and fire give us more inside information in how many kings has ruled the islands.    

I am sorry for my bad english, but are there more people who think the timeline has to be much shorter and looks like earths time or is more longer than that?

 

Hmmm, I’m not sure as we have to take into account that ASOIAF has magic and throughout the history of ASOIAF magic has been a key element, however I think your timeline is the correct one, though I believe Daeron I the young dragon is more an Alexander the Great character, not garin the great. Apart from that your timeline should be correct. I doubt those kings who lived thousands of years ago in the age of hero’s ruled for a thousand years and that’s most likely just myth and legend. The grey king may have ruled for a 100 years but that’s about it, and Durran who built storms end with Bran the builder probably didn’t rule for a 1000 years either. But your timeline looks correct if that’s your concern. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, •Brandon Ice Eyes said:

Hmmm, I’m not sure as we have to take into account that ASOIAF has magic and throughout the history of ASOIAF magic has been a key element, however I think your timeline is the correct one, though I believe Daeron I the young dragon is more an Alexander the Great character, not garin the great. Apart from that your timeline should be correct. I doubt those kings who lived thousands of years ago in the age of hero’s ruled for a thousand years and that’s most likely just myth and legend. The grey king may have ruled for a 100 years but that’s about it, and Durran who built storms end with Bran the builder probably didn’t rule for a 1000 years either. But your timeline looks correct if that’s your concern. :)

Yes the reigns of 1000 years are just myths and than i think also that there were not 50 kings, but just only one.  Yes there is alot of magic in asoiaf, so i think the time laps has to go much quicker, because communication over long distances are going much quicker with glass candals. The only thing that can slow the revolution and sceince is that there are often wars. Daeron looks a bit like him, the way of dying is a bit different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my mind it was always (and this is if Westeros represents the isle of Britain):

First Men = Celts/Britons

Andals = Romans

Targaryens = Normans -- with Roman ancestry

Dornish = Cornish LOL

---------------------------

Essos-

Dothraki - Huns

Jhogos Nhai - Mongols

Free Cities - The Italian City States/ Holy Roman Empire

There is so much historical mish mashing going on.

One can compare so many ASOIAF peoples/races/states to multiples actual historical people/races/states.

 

Cool thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

In my mind it was always (and this is if Westeros represents the isle of Britain):

First Men = Celts/Britons

Andals = Romans

Targaryens = Normans -- with Roman ancestry

Dornish = Cornish LOL

---------------------------

Essos-

Dothraki - Huns

Jhogos Nhai - Mongols

Free Cities - The Italian City States/ Holy Roman Empire

There is so much historical mish mashing going on.

One can compare so many ASOIAF peoples/races/states to multiples actual historical people/races/states.

 

Cool thread!

i think you on point with this, may i add qart lookes a lot like constantinopel (Istanbul) and slaversbay (Egypt). it is all not exactly the same but he used those cities and countries as models. The riverlands is like my own country Netherlands with the 3 big rivers and one small one more from another country Belgium (blackwaterrush). So i think Westeros is England, but the regions are more of a european model to make it more big.

riverlands netherlands belgium
the Vale Switserland Austria
dornish Spain Marocco
westerlands Germany
stormlands France
crownlands London
Irons Island Island 
north Scandinavie with beyond the wall Lapland

Edited by Seaserpent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seaserpent said:

i think you on point with this, may i add qart lookes a lot like constantinopel (Istanbul) and slaversbay (Egypt). it is all not exactly the same but he used those cities and countries as models. The riverlands is like my own country Netherlands with the 3 big rivers and one small one more from another country Belgium (blackwaterrush). So i think Westeros is England, but the regions are more of a european model to make it more big.

riverlands netherlands belgium
the Vale Switserland Austria
dornish Spain Marocco
westerlands Germany
stormlands France
crownlands London
Irons Island Island 
north Scandinavie with beyond the wall Lapland

Qarth does resemble Constantinople, so does Volantis.

I definitely always think of the land beyond the wall as Lapland/Far North Scandinavia.

Then you have Yi Ti etc. which would be the Far East.

Awesome stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×