NFL 2018 Week 2 thread: The continuing saga of Josh Gordon

dbunting

25 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Lol @ the user(s) here that were claiming Eli is an elite talent. Granted, the o-line is absolutely horrific, but he’s also playing like complete dog shit himself. 

Yup, he is completely shook out there. Looks like another top 5 pick. 

24 minutes ago, sperry said:

Mayfield and Rosen have to start next week right? Or are these teams going to continue to be okay with giving themselves zero chance to win from the opening kickoff by playing guys who can't threaten defenses?

Browns play Thursday.  I say zero chance they put Mayfield out there for the first time in a shortened week.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Browns play Thursday.  I say zero chance they put Mayfield out there for the first time in a shortened week.

Yeah didn't realize it was a short week. Why they are spinning their wheels with Tyrod is beyond me, though. The guy is not good, but has a game that shows up okay in the stat sheet.

Just now, sperry said:

Yeah didn't realize it was a short week. Why they are spinning their wheels with Tyrod is beyond me, though. The guy is not good, but has a game that shows up okay in the stat sheet.

My guess is a lot of it is that they want to protect Mayfield from Hue Jackson.  Let Tyrod go out there and take the hits this year and then let Mayfield step in next year with the new coach.

Just now, briantw said:

My guess is a lot of it is that they want to protect Mayfield from Hue Jackson.  Let Tyrod go out there and take the hits this year and then let Mayfield step in next year with the new coach.

They seem to want to win, though, and Mayfield gives them a better shot at winning than Tyrod who is so risk averse that he can't do anything on offense.

I feel like the Pats game started at 4:25 and the team showed up around 6:35.  What an absolutely terrible performance which will stick with the Pats for the foreseeable future.  It was- easily - the best game of Blake Bortles' career; the Pats could not cover anyone (outside of Stephon Gilmore, who played really well)and only made up for it by applying virtually no pass rush and a marked inability to tackle.  The Jags were an offensive powerhouse racking up 481 yards of offense and going an absolutely astounding 10 for 14 on third down.  Brady looked lifeless, unable to consistently connect with any of his receivers, and having most of his stats coming in garbage time.  The running game was as useless as it has been since the 2016 Superbowl.  The Pats also seemed to make all the mistakes that usually kill the OTHER team, like failing to touch the defensive player who jumped off-sides on the Pats last punt.  

Its early in the season and the Pats-apologists (ie: me) will find excuses to explain this one away- no Edleman, Pats lost their best pass-rusher (Flowers) on the first set of defensive plays; it won't be that hot again... whatever.  But we all saw sincere deficiencies in the Pats game- no pass rush, sloppy tackling, no dynamic passing game, no running game.  It all sucked.  

Meanwhile, the Jags had the win they have been waiting two seasons for- a huge statement game that made everyone believe their legitimacy,  The Jags are no impressed by the Pats (and they shouldn't be) and it lifted them over the Pats in the game.  They will never be scared of the pats and will go toe to toe with them if the Pats are lucky enough to face them again in the post-season.  Regardless, the Jags are the best team in the AFC and the Pats are playing for second at this point.  

A few other things:

-Bills lost so bad that at half time Vontae Davis literally retired at half-time, prompting the Bills fans to ask "Can we come with you?" 

-I legit feel bad for the Browns.  As is always the case with bad teams, it takes all kinds of ways to lose that many games.  This time it was having a shitty kicker (though, to be fair, that missed XP was superfluous).  

-With the Vikings-Pack tie, the NFL is on pace to have 16 ties this season.  

-WTF DeShaun Watson?  Seriously, stop playing like a Texan; stop finding inventive ways to crush your own, fledgling offense.  

-Patrick Mahomes is amazing to watch.  He threw 6 TDs this season which, along with his TDs last week, give him the best star in NFL history.  The guy is so good back there.  I'm so disappointed to what Andy Reid will do to him over in the post-season. 

-So, Ryan Fitzpatrick has that job now, right?  Like, Winston rides the pine, right?  

-Rams: still scary. 

I'm not sure if week 2 is time to panic but I feel like doing that so... but hey, at least the Pats play a team that is already preparing for the 2019 pre-season, the Lions.  

I wanna say that what Fitzpatrick is doing is unsustainable, but the Bucs have one of the best WR groups in the league, so who knows?  All he really has to do is just bomb it or throw jump balls and he has a few guys who can do both.

17 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

@SpaceForce Tywin et al.

Good... game? 

That was one roller coaster. I puked a little bit in my mouth at some of those calls. But I will say, Cousins put up a monstrous performance. It's too bad for him that Treadwell can't catch and his kicker can't kick. 

Also, FUCK that last minute timeout. God DAMN that gave me a heart attack.

I feel like a tie was the fair result. Both teams had several chances to win and failed. And I agree about the officiating. That roughing call on Cousins at the end was BS, but so was the PI on Smith when he intercepted Rodgers and brought it back to like the 20.

Yesterday is why we paid Cousins. Does anyone think Case could have gotten us 22 in the fourth?

Also, I can forgive Treadwell, but that kicker….I hope he drove home by himself. Why we went with a rookie over a proven vet, I can’t even….

Disappointing loss by the Jets, but I thought the team overall actually played pretty well. It was inconsistent QB play, and two killer interceptions, that did them in. But that's life with a rookie QB.

And now they have to play a Thursday road game. Against a Browns team that despite not winning yet is definitely showing some signs of life. Because their first game was a Monday, it'll be the Jets 3rd game in 11 days. Not the best recipe for success.

Archived