NFL 2018 Week 2 thread: The continuing saga of Josh Gordon

dbunting

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, not to take away from what Mayfield came in and did, but that’s ridiculous to ask a team to play that much in such a short timeframe. 

I think you combine the energy from Mayfield's first game with the fatigue with Jets and it was inevitable.  Well, that and it's the Jets.

The Browns just got a huge boost with the change.  Most of that is probably Mayfield, but part was probably the energy in the building with the change.  The Jets just ran out of gas at the end though.

Always cracks me up what a hot take league this thing is... in week one “Look at how poised Darnold is.  He threw a pick 6 and came back to win.  He’s the greatest rookie ever!!!”  Now “Darnold probably should have been sitting the bench and watching McCown.”

2 hours ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Defenses are catching up. Look at the rule changes throughout the years benefitting offense. RBs are almost expected to be good recievers these days, to catch all the dump offs.

I don’t view it that way. I think the problem is that in the ultimate tough guy, have no fear sport, the coaches are gutless cowards 90% of the time.

Throw

The

Ball

Down

The

Field!

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, not to take away from what Mayfield came in and did, but that’s ridiculous to ask a team to play that much in such a short timeframe. 

The Jets would have won if not for some boneheaded penalties. Number 22 will be running wind sprints all week, I can promise you that.

And every team has to do that once per year. I’d say the Vikings are about to do it, but the middle game is against the Bills at home and that’s not really a game.  

Darnold is playing like a talented rookie QB.  Great plays mixed in with disasters.

25 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

And every team has to do that once per year. I’d say the Vikings are about to do it, but the middle game is against the Bills at home and that’s not really a game.  

You missed the point.  Every team gets a short week with a Thursday game, but only one other team plays MNF, a game in between, then TNF.  That is Tennessee in weeks 12-14 and Tennessee is home for weeks 13 and 14.

The Jets are the only team this season scheduled to play MNF, then a Sunday game, then to travel for TNF.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

Darnold is playing like a talented rookie QB.  Great plays mixed in with disasters.

You missed the point.  Every team gets a short week with a Thursday game, but only one other team plays MNF, a game in between, then TNF.  That is Tennessee in weeks 12-14 and Tennessee is home for weeks 13 and 14.

The Jets are the only team this season scheduled to play MNF, then a Sunday game, then to travel for TNF.

Yeah, it's the Monday, Sunday and Thursday with 2 on the road that is the issue.  They screwed up, but they really looked tired in the second half.

5 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

He looks exactly like what I thought he would.

Okay fair enough, but I'm not sure it has that big of an impact. I'd feel otherwise if it was later in the season.

3 hours ago, grozeng said:

Yeah, it's the Monday, Sunday and Thursday with 2 on the road that is the issue.  They screwed up, but they really looked tired in the second half.

They did, but I wonder if that had more to do with how the game progressed. In the first half the Jets controlled the ball and the defense got off the field quickly. That flipped in the second half, with Baker sustaining long drives while Darnold could not. 

I don't buy that the Jets were any more tired because of the schedule than the Browns were. There was only one day difference between their schedules and the Browns had to play a full o.t. period in their first game, seems like a wash to me but what do I know.

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I don't buy that the Jets were any more tired because of the schedule than the Browns were. There was only one day difference between their schedules and the Browns had to play a full o.t. period in their first game, seems like a wash to me but what do I know.

But they traveled on a short week!!!!  All the way from New Jersey to Cleveland!!!!

The total flight time from Newark to Cleveland is an hour and five minutes!!!!  That is over sixty whole minutes in the air!!!!

The fact they were in the game at all is a testament to their ability to overcome jet lag and their stamina is legendary.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

So the Browns/Jets game had the best rating of Thurs games in three years?  What's up with that?  

Lots of people live in Ohio and NY/NJ and they all thought this was a game their team could win, and wins have been rare in recent seasons for both franchises.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how TV (or music, for that matter) ratings are calculated anymore, but with all the additional ways to watch the TNF games now beyond just the NFL Network, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the games this year have higher ratings than previous years.

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

So the Browns/Jets game had the best rating of Thurs games in three years?  What's up with that?  

The game had a NY team, the #1 over all pick, reigning Heisman winner, and the Hard knocks team.  Lots of story lines to the game, not the least of which was the opening of those beer coolers across Cleveland!

Archived