NFL 2018 Week 2 thread: The continuing saga of Josh Gordon

dbunting

I mean, have the Pats ever looked so terrible on BOTH sides of the ball?  The O looked like it had ONE good drive and other than Wise, nobody on D looked like they had a pulse.  Brady had one of his worst nights in recent memory.  

That HAS to be the worst Pats loss since the 2014 KC game.  

2 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

And also that Detroit looked so shaky coming in too.  

That's the thing. The Lions had a terrible game against the Jets in Week 1, and it turns out the Jets suck.

On the other hand, this wouldn't be the first season where the Pats look bad in the first four games and go on to the AFC Championship and/or Superb Owl.

Bizarre night for the NFC North division.  Packers get smashed by Redskins, Vikings get humbled by Bills, Bears win their second consecutive game to top the division and then Lions beat the Patriots. 

It’s a good thing I don’t bet on football. 

If the Bears had just held on to beat the Packers in the opening game, they’d now look a decent shot for reaching the play-offs.  As it stands, their next two opponents are undefeated and may send the Bears plummeting back down the division. 

1 hour ago, Triskjavikson said:

Mahomes is keeping it up.  At the moment he's like the best QB in football both statistically and highlight-wise.  I think KC's D is a big reason why I'm not to bullish on the team overall, but it sure seems like they found one of the next great QB's.  

It looks like Chicago will spend a decade or more regretting their 2017 draft choice. 

I hope Trubiskey improves or it will be really tedious to hear for a very long time about what could have been.

12 hours ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Giants get the win. Shurmer needed that win bad. He got destroyed on WFAN after the Dallas game.

The Giants had their best half of football in like 2 years, easily. It was actually weird to see. Of course they came out with tightass playcalling in the 2nd half but a win is a win. Amazing what happens when you consistently feed your best players. 

And they FINALLY benched Flowers. I mean about fucking time. Watt had a game but most of his plays came after the damage was done. 

I almost don’t wanna check the pick’em league. It has to be ugly as hell this week. 

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Bizarre night for the NFC North division.  Packers get smashed by Redskins, Vikings get humbled by Bills, Bears win their second consecutive game to top the division and then Lions beat the Patriots. 

It’s a good thing I don’t bet on football. 

If the Bears had just held on to beat the Packers in the opening game, they’d now look a decent shot for reaching the play-offs.  As it stands, their next two opponents are undefeated and may send the Bears plummeting back down the division. 

Watching the Vikings game was painful, turned it off three different times because I'm a masochist.  Then looked at all the other games and realized I'm gonna go from 3rd to last in my pick 'em in one week.  And then managed to just get DESTROYED in every one of my fantasy leagues.

So I made myself some steak and shrimp, drank a half-bottle of scotch, and watched the Nolan Batman trilogy.  Because this week just sucked for football.

2018 is probably the high water mark for QBs in the history of the league. If we assume that Tyrod and Bradford have now been officially benched for Baker and Rosen, that means that almost every team in the league either has their franchise guy, or has a young guy they are highly invested in and hope is a franchise guy.

The only three teams in the league that don't have a good starter or a promising young guy are Denver, New York and Cincinnati, with Tampa and Tennessee maybe on that list as well. There are a couple of really good looking QB prospects coming up in this draft, and some even better ones in the 2020 draft. Depending on how quickly the old guard ages out and how well the young guys progress, we could reach more quality starting QBs than teams in 3-4 years. Which would be a pretty incredible 180 from like 2015, when there were only about 15 teams that you could say were reasonably happy with their situations.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Because Dallas' offense sucks

So true, watching that game (it was the only one on) was really painful.  Both teams were determined to "establish the run", in spite of the defenses stacking the box, which resulted in one of the most plodding NFL games I've seen in a while.  Seattle eventually gave Wilson the option to at least do short passes, which worked a lot better than whatever Dallas was doing.

As for New England, they look really bad.  But for the past four or five years the September Patriots have been a pretty lackluster squad, and by November they've back to winning comfortably.  No guarantee it happens again - the team isn't very talented and if Tom Brady is merely good rather than great, they're a mediocre squad.  But I've seen this movie too many times to declare them dead (or even in trouble) just yet.  1-2 is not a problem, they could easily still finish 12-4 with a bye.  

1 minute ago, sperry said:

2018 is probably the high water mark for QBs in the history of the league. If we assume that Tyrod and Bradford have now been officially benched for Baker and Rosen, that means that almost every team in the league either has their franchise guy, or has a young guy they are highly invested in and hope is a franchise guy.

The only three teams in the league that don't have a good starter or a promising young guy are Denver, New York and Cincinnati, with Tampa and Tennessee maybe on that list as well. There are a couple of really good looking QB prospects coming up in this draft, and some even better ones in the 2020 draft. Depending on how quickly the old guard ages out and how well the young guys progress, we could reach more quality starting QBs than teams in 3-4 years. Which would be a pretty incredible 180 from like 2015, when there were only about 15 teams that you could say were reasonably happy with their situations.

This again?

Dalton 65-45-2 88.8 PR 175 TD 98 INT 

Why would you leave out a guy like Alex Smith if you’re including Dalton as a “not good” starter?

Smith 90-63-1 87.7 PR 187 TD 97 INT

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

This again?

Dalton 65-45-2 88.8 PR 175 TD 98 INT 

Why would you leave out a guy like Alex Smith if you’re including Dalton as a “not good” starter?

Smith 90-63-1 87.7 PR 187 TD 97 INT

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

And why didn’t you mention Bortles and JAX? 

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. 

:P

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Because Dallas' offense sucks

Boy does it ever. I think it's  safe to say they have the worst set of receivers and tight ends in the league. They're line is shaky in the middle as they are missing Travis Fredricks and 2nd round pick LG Connor Williams needs to add strength. He struggles against a bull rush. The play-calling is also plain bad. OC Scott Linehan continues to get exposed. I'm betting Jason Garrett take over play-calling duties soon. His job is on the line.

But most distressing is that there are serious questions as to whether Dak Prescott is indeed a franchise QB. Maybe he's been bad because nobody is getting open and the coaches are unimaginative. Or maybe he is just an average QB.

Archived