NFL 2018 Week 2 thread: The continuing saga of Josh Gordon

dbunting

9 hours ago, briantw said:

I really wanted the Browns to end up with Goff in that draft, but I have a feeling if they did he would have been written off after one year and, unfortunately for him, he wouldn't have had McVay coming in to help salvage his career with the Browns.  He'd have been stuck with Hue Jackson.

Yes, which is why I really think where a QB is drafted is the biggest factor in their success.  

If the Niners has drafted Rodgers over Smith, I think Rodgers would have a fine career... but would be be spoken of in the reverent tones he is today?  I don’t think so.

If David Carr and Tim Couch hadn’t gone to expansion teams with no offensive lines; would they both get shell shocked out of the league?  I don’t think so.

(Reminder... Couch is still the only QB to take the new Browns to the playoffs.)

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

More like the golden age of rules that protect the QB and make offense as easy as possible.

So much this.  And really.... I think that's what the league is trying to do to try to gain some viewers back.  Will it work?  I'm not entirely sure, but it has definitely changed the game.  I think with young QBs not getting shellacked because you have to tuck them in to sack them, we will see more and more young successful QBs and much more scoring.  Defenses are going to have a near impossible job.  I think we'll be hard pressed to see a team win the SB that is there because of their D.  Offenses that score 40+ a game are what we'll see in the playoffs from here on out.

21 minutes ago, aceluby said:

So much this.  And really.... I think that's what the league is trying to do to try to gain some viewers back.  Will it work?  I'm not entirely sure, but it has definitely changed the game.  I think with young QBs not getting shellacked because you have to tuck them in to sack them, we will see more and more young successful QBs and much more scoring.  Defenses are going to have a near impossible job.  I think we'll be hard pressed to see a team win the SB that is there because of their D.  Offenses that score 40+ a game are what we'll see in the playoffs from here on out.

Steve Young mentioned on a radio show this past Monday in regards to these new rules that he believes an 80 point game is in the near future 

3 hours ago, The Lasr Storm said:

Jets will lose to Jacksonville, that defense will put 8 in the box and make Darnold beat them. The Giants and Saints game scares me. NO isnt the same team outside of a dome, but I think the lack of Giant pass rush could be a problem. No Vernon,/Apple again this week.

Dude, the Titans beat Jacksonville. Jacksonville ain't shit. 

6 hours ago, aceluby said:

I think that's what they want, but they're only getting it from a few teams. The Rams, Chiefs, Steelers and, gulp, Bucs have been the funnest teams to watch because they're bombing it out. Kirk was doing it too last night, and I hope he can sustain it. What I want to see die and burn in hell is the Patriots' style dink and dunk that has permeated throughout the league.

:ack:

Archived