Small things that have left you SPEECHLESS

Theda Baratheon

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

'Manchester Uni SU has banned clapping in favour of jazz hands'  Can't link for some reason but if you search google for 'stupidest story on the internet today' i'm sure you will find it.

I don't even know where to begin.

I’m sure I saw the same story last year

15 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I only saw a picture and not an article so maybe it’s just bait 

I've done some googling and it's legit. 

The funny thing is it screws over blind people, but clearly anxious people are more important right now. 

The thing with anxiety is that pretty much anything can cause it. I've got things that make me anxious, and they aren't that typical, people find it pretty bizarre when I'm confident at the more common anxiety triggers, like public speaking. The point is, like you said, you can't expect the world to always just adapt to you. 

I wouldn't say this makes me speechless, because it's obvious how it came about, someone suggested it saying it was about "being inclusive for people with disabilities" and most people thought being inclusive of disabilities was a good thing, or at least they didn't want to vote against something proposed like that. 

It's mainly annoying because you know next time we're arguing about people using racist language someone will say "well the lefties think clapping should be banned!". 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

'Manchester Uni SU has banned clapping in favour of jazz hands'  Can't link for some reason but if you search google for 'stupidest story on the internet today' i'm sure you will find it.

What the hell?  You can’t applaud for something you like???

I’d love to see whatever bizarre justification can be offered for this.  What happens if someone ignores the ban and claps anyway?

4 hours ago, mankytoes said:

I've done some googling and it's legit. 

The funny thing is it screws over blind people, but clearly anxious people are more important right now. 

The thing with anxiety is that pretty much anything can cause it. I've got things that make me anxious, and they aren't that typical, people find it pretty bizarre when I'm confident at the more common anxiety triggers, like public speaking. The point is, like you said, you can't expect the world to always just adapt to you. 

I wouldn't say this makes me speechless, because it's obvious how it came about, someone suggested it saying it was about "being inclusive for people with disabilities" and most people thought being inclusive of disabilities was a good thing, or at least they didn't want to vote against something proposed like that. 

It's mainly annoying because you know next time we're arguing about people using racist language someone will say "well the lefties think clapping should be banned!". 

Your last paragraph exactly my first thought and why I was a bit exasperated with the whole thing. I think it’s actually a form of entitlement as well to expect the world to cater to your anxieties. Anxiety is a part of life - we all have worries about things. I know that anxiety as a mental illness can be debilitating but I still think individual should endeavour to try to help themselves as much as possible. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Its on the front page of the BBC website today.

Damn

A woman in a mobility scooter just boarded the bus and ran over my foot. Fair enough, it’s an easy enough mistake when it’s very crowded. But when i said “excuse me, could you move your scooter forward please so I can get my foot out of the way” she actually tutted at me and glowered. Then when I got off the bus loudly proclaimed “YOUTH TODAY HAVE NO FUCKING MANNERS!” 

Theres irony in there but yup, totally speechless!

On 10/2/2018 at 10:06 AM, BigFatCoward said:

I initially read that as Manchester United, not the University of Manchester. :P 

And yes, no words...

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

"If you're happy and you know it jazz your hands"

"So no one told you life was gonna be this way...jazz hands"

and so on.....

before you jazz your hands, make sure you have some tissues around to clean up.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:03 PM, larrytheimp said:

Are they still going to continue stealing water from First Nation's under the new leadership?

It's what most companies that need water do. Go read Coke's history on that subject. 

I’m late to the party I know, but to be clear, the “ban” on clapping is not a blanket ban, but is intended to make student debates and panel discussions more inclusive and therefore democratic. Societies and clubs at the uni are not banned from clapping.

It’s a well-intended move but short-sighted because it now excludes blind people. Also the idea that clapping excludes deaf people is total bollocks because they can still see clapping as well as jazz hands.

I think it’s a shame that many headlines have been unnecessarily inflammatory and portraying it as pandering to “snowflakes”, when they are just trying to make university more inclusive to people with autism and sensory issues, which is a noble goal. The execution is just very clumsy and not well thought through.

• 1 month later...

Football banner from the away fans yesterday at the stadium. I'll give you a translation.

"You'll stay hungry tonight, because your cunts are with you in the block."

I've seen my fair share of really shitty banners at stadiums, but Dresden fans somehow still manage to lower the bar.

Archived