Small things that have left you SPEECHLESS

Theda Baratheon

On 12/4/2018 at 5:44 AM, Tears of Lys said:

A bald eagle swooped right across the road in front of me and then perched (or tried to perch) on a lamp post.  He/she was having problems because the lamp post was too small.

I almost ran off the road. 

Oh wow :o 

Re: speechless--we should have a thread for things that need their own word.  Like when you think something will be handy, so you save it and you hold on to it for 10 years and finally decide to get rid of it and then need it a week later.  There should be a word for that.

Don't get me started on crowds.  Luckily I spend most of my time behind the velvet rope, or the bike rack fence, etc but at the end of a long day you eventually have to leave that sanctuary and venture out among the masses to make your way home.

You know what everybody does?  They stand in long lines to get into a venue and complain about the line and then the instant they get through the door they stop and have a conversation about where their seats are or whether they need to use the bathroom or visit a concession stand.  Hello??!! that's why it took so long to get in--everybody stops dead in their tracks once they get through the line.

Since it is the Christmas season, I would like to give a shout out to Dr Seuss.  I wish I had the gift of hurling completely non-profane, yet devastating insults.  "You're a rotten banana with a.....greasy black PEEL!"

Rant time:  I light stages for a living and I really like it.  It requires a mix of technical, creative, and practical skills which satisfies me.

However, in the past 25 years I have heard every argument against every color.  Red looks hellish, green looks nuclear, yellow looks like piss, orange is for Popsicles, pink is too girly, rainbows are too gay, blue is for democrats.

In any given group of 1000 people someone will have a problem with every color in the spectrum.  So we use beige.  We have a meeting to choose exactly the right shade of beige. 

This precise thing happened recently on a convention for a major corporation and then the speakers on the stage all told stories about the danger of group think and the horrible shame that all of our subdivisions and cubicles were beige...from a beige stage.  My irony circuits went into overdrive.

I will admit that I really dislike the combination of red and green.  I avoid it as much as possible but I acknowledge that in times of Christmas it may be necessary.  All I want is for other people to acknowledge that just because they dislike a particular color scheme does not mean that the color scheme is inherently evil or wrong. 

Archived