Queen's Men

Euron III Greyjoy

If Stannis is to die in the next book, what do you think any of his remaining men will do? Since I cant really think of any King's Men, I'm leaning more towards the Queen's Men. With no King to reward them will they say "fuck it" and leave South or to the Free Cities. Since they claim to be avid followers of R'hllor, would they stay in the North and carry on the fight with the Others? If someone else got proclaimed Azor Ahai, would they follow them? And then we have Justin Massey who has gone to Essos to recruit sellswords, will he be successful, and if so which companies would be bring back? 

Most of them will bend the knee to Roose Bolton and the Iron Throne.  It's the only choice that makes sense in their situation.  They can easily change their religion.  Mel's failure means they are not going to buy her belief. 

Justin Massey is not going to find good quality sellswords because the Golden Company has been bought by Jon Connington and the slave masters.  He will find a few smaller companies.  They won't be enough to fight the Lannisters.

7 minutes ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

Justin Massey is not going to find good quality sellswords because the Golden Company has been bought by Jon Connington and the slave masters.  He will find a few smaller companies.  They won't be enough to fight the Lannisters.

The Lannisters aren’t the enemy Stannis is concerned with. 

If Stannis is one of the lies to be slain (note the lie is to be slayed, not necessarily the person) and Dany isn’t going to arrive in Westeros until the end of TWOW or ADOS, then Stannis probably won’t die in the next book.

There are two kinds of queen's men: genuine fanatics, and opportunists. The opportunists would bend the knee to the Iron Throne, for sure. Especially if Shireen dies.

The fanatics on the other hand … if Mel decides Jon is AA, they may follow her. May. Some will inevitably lose faith if it is revealed Stannis isn't AA. I'm ready to lump them in with the opportunists on the grounds they would despise their actions, which may prompt them to act in a third way.

It's difficult to say what will happen. All I know is that the Queen's Men will not behave as a united front.

5 hours ago, Silver Bullet 1985 said:

A war for the disputed lands has just been averted meaning theres prob a huge swell of sellswords  companies nearby, plus for the golden company to be viable in the asoiaf universe then buying a similar amount of men to oppose them(in smaller companies) must be readily available, so while they may be smaller companies they will all add up 

Bear in.mind stanis felt 20k as a minimum was readily available and his judgement of military strengths is 2nd to none

I think there were essos vs wetweros threads here before that estimated 30-50k mercs in essos  before we talk gold company ,i mean in slavers bay the ass end of the world  we see about 2-3k sellswords raised in a few months

On 9/17/2018 at 9:37 AM, Giant Ice Spider said:

There are two kinds of queen's men: genuine fanatics, and opportunists. The opportunists would bend the knee to the Iron Throne, for sure. Especially if Shireen dies.

The fanatics on the other hand … if Mel decides Jon is AA, they may follow her. May. Some will inevitably lose faith if it is revealed Stannis isn't AA. I'm ready to lump them in with the opportunists on the grounds they would despise their actions, which may prompt them to act in a third way.

It's difficult to say what will happen. All I know is that the Queen's Men will not behave as a united front.

Even if Shireen survives, only a true fanatic would support her. Stannis' campaign is against the odds, reliant largely on his personal military expertise and determination. 

The actual question is hard to answer, because so much determines on the the circumstances of Stannis' death. 

More interesting to me is- what will Stannis' Men at Castle Black do now they think King Stannis is dead, whether he is or not?

It's certainly a difficult position for most of them, as Sothrons, so far from home. I agree that the Queen's Men will follow Melisandre, there's little other option. Are many King's men still at Castle Black? I assume most aren't. If they are there, I would hope some would protect Shireen if they can, but as I say, I don't think they'd actually try to build her up as monarch, it just isn't realistic. Some might join the Watch, other's might flee for home, maybe via Eastwatch.

2 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Stormbreakers and The Company of the Rose are the only two merc companies not currently employed that I can tell. Plus the one Oberyn formed - if still in existence.

Would be cool to see the Company of the Rose return to the North to fight.

I would love to see the Company of the Rose return North. Of course they are barely Northern at all, since their ancestors left 300 years ago, they probably don't give two shits about the North. 

1 hour ago, mankytoes said:

More interesting to me is- what will Stannis' Men at Castle Black do now they think King Stannis is dead, whether he is or not?

It depends on how long Jon stays "dead" for. Bowen Marsh and his lickspittles will want to hand Selyse, Shireen, and Melisandre over to the Boltons thanks to the letter, so their best bet would be to team up with the wildlings to get rid of the mutineers. Of course this all depends on what happens straight after Jon gets stabbed. For all we know Bowen Marsh and the mutineers get killed off in the next 10 seconds. 

32 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

I would love to see the Company of the Rose return North. Of course they are barely Northern at all, since their ancestors left 300 years ago, they probably don't give two shits about the North. 

Yeah they would be assimilated into Essosi culture for sure.

27 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

It depends on how long Jon stays "dead" for. Bowen Marsh and his lickspittles will want to hand Selyse, Shireen, and Melisandre over to the Boltons thanks to the letter, so their best bet would be to team up with the wildlings to get rid of the mutineers. Of course this all depends on what happens straight after Jon gets stabbed. For all we know Bowen Marsh and the mutineers get killed off in the next 10 seconds. 

I think they will remain loyal even if they think he is dead. They will be waiting for the sellswords to arrive and will proclaim Shireen as Queen.

7 minutes ago, Sir Tywin said:

Why’s that? I don’t remember hearing about them being in the north before 

The Company of the Rose is a sellsword company operating in Essos. It was founded by men, and according to some accounts also women, of the North who rejected Torrhen Stark's submission to Aegon the Conqueror and thus chose exile over bending the knee. ---The World of Ice & Fire, The Quarrelsome Daughters: Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh.

From the Wiki

22 minutes ago, Sire de Maletroit said:

I can't believe these people will fight to put Shireen on the throne.  That's like asking them to fight to put Tyrion on the throne.  It's not realistic.  Her greyscale will scare people away. 

They may not, you may be right. That was Stannis' instruction to Justin Massey in the event he died, though.

2 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

The Company of the Rose is a sellsword company operating in Essos. It was founded by men, and according to some accounts also women, of the North who rejected Torrhen Stark's submission to Aegon the Conqueror and thus chose exile over bending the knee. ---The World of Ice & Fire, The Quarrelsome Daughters: Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh.

From the Wiki

Do they definitely still exist? We've heard so much about sellswords, and they've never been mentioned in the main story. 

Just now, mankytoes said:

Do they definitely still exist? We've heard so much about sellswords, and they've never been mentioned in the main story. 

In the same way I don't consider a character dead unless I read the death on page, I do not consider the Company of the Rose as non-existent until I read it on the page. But who knows? We don't know for sure.

Archived