GRRM video: one prequel pitch "set only 100 years" before Game of Thrones?

The Dragon Demands

Video from Variety.  On the Emmys red carpet, GRRM speaks of "5 prequels" and that they range from "just 100 years ago" to "5,000 years ago".

The question of course, is:  was he just speaking loosely, and we shouldn't take this as factually accurate?

We know some prequels got ruled out.  5,000 years ago was the rise of Valyria but that doesn't seem to be "a prequel" as such.

Maybe he was just talking about prequel eras in general.

Odd that he says 5 pitches - maybe he just got used to saying 5.  We thought Cogman left after he signed on to Amazon - though it's possible someone else picked up his idea?

I'm sure the "hundred years" are meant literally.

The books start at 298. One hundred years ago would mean the Blackfyre Rebellion (196) or the adventures of Dunk and Egg (209). Both could make for excellent series, although radically different in scope between them.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, The hairy bear said:

The books start at 298. One hundred years ago would mean the Blackfyre Rebellion (196) or the adventures of Dunk and Egg (209). Both could make for excellent series, although radically different in scope between them.

The Blackfyre Rebellion would make for an excellent TV show. 

Also, be incredibly relevant to modern debates given how central a role Dorne plays. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 11:44 AM, The hairy bear said:

I believe that GRRM on a number of occasions has specifically ruled out Dunc and Egg as a series.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived