Ned and Beric - why such a small force

27 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Why didn't Ned send Beric Dondarrion with more men when he dispatched him to go after Gregor Clegane? Surely 120 men was not enough. Thoughts?

I really dont know its strange, but could it be that he didnt have more man. Lannister man would not have arrest him and the gold cloacks need to stay in kingslanding. Ned allready lost some man because of this mission. So it was not a good idea i guess ...lol

Just now, Seaserpent said:

I really dont know its strange, but could it be that he didnt have more man. Lannister man would not have arrest him and the gold cloacks need to stay in kingslanding. Ned allready lost some man because of this mission. So it was not a good idea i giues ...lol

Yeah either that or Ned just thought the Mountain didn't have that many men. To be fair he didn't know it was a lure by Tywin...

2 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Yeah either that or Ned just thought the Mountain didn't have that many men. To be fair he didn't know it was a lure by Tywin...

Yes and i think it fits Neds Character to be a bit naive, that the mountain would have come with them, because he is a murder and couldnt hide in the Riverlands. I think it is strange because he took all the risks and is not a good player in the south. What my biggest problem is with this is the lack of evidence that it was the mountain. He took the word from some frightened locals and allready condemned the mountain to be quilty of it. When he was 100% sure another option was sending word to Tywinn, also because it would be his territory were the mountain has his keep. 

1 minute ago, Seaserpent said:

Yes and i think it fits Neds Character to be a bit naive, that the mountain would have come with them, because he is a murder and couldnt hide in the Riverlands. I think it is strange because he took all the risks and is not a good player in the south. What my biggest problem is with this is the lack of evidence that it was the mountain. He took the word from some frightened locals and allready condemned the mountain to be quilty of it. When he was 100% sure another option was sending word to Tywinn, also because it would be his territory were the mountain has his keep. 

Well I remember now that Loras wanted the job. With that being said, Ned probably just wanted to get Beric on out the door so Loras wouldn't keep on about it. But yes Ned could have sent a message to Tywin and demanded he do something about it, although I doubt Tywin would have obliged.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Why didn't Ned send Beric Dondarrion with more men when he dispatched him to go after Gregor Clegane? Surely 120 men was not enough. Thoughts?

I think Ned is counting on the fact that Beric is marching under the authority of the king, flying the king's banner. His goal is to subdue Gregor Clegane and his band of "outlaws", so he must have figured that 120 was enough. As long as Robert is king, Tywin himself would be foolish to attack king's men. It wasn't until after Robert died that Beric was attacked at Mummer's Ford.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

He knows this much, at least:

Tywin Lannister was as much fox as lion. If indeed he'd sent Ser Gregor to burn and pillage -- and Ned did not doubt that he had -- he'd taken care to see that he rode under cover of night, without banners, in the guise of a common brigand.

And a few moment's before:

And that may be precisely what Lord Tywin wants, Ned thought to himself, to bleed off strength from Riverrun, goad the boy into scattering his swords. His wife's brother was young, and more gallant than wise. He would try to hold every inch of his soil, to defend every man, woman, and child who named him lord, and Tywin Lannister was shrewd enough to know that.

So Ned at least knows that the raiding is a lure to get Edmure to spread his forces and perhaps attack openly, but does he suspect that Tywin is trying to lure Ned into the field? Probably not, but the calculus would still be the same for Ned: Tywin would bring ruin on himself if he attacked the king's party no matter who was leading it.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

I think Ned is counting on the fact that Beric is marching under the authority of the king, flying the king's banner. His goal is to subdue Gregor Clegane and his band of "outlaws", so he must have figured that 120 was enough. As long as Robert is king, Tywin himself would be foolish to attack king's men. It wasn't until after Robert died that Beric was attacked at Mummer's Ford.

Do you recall how long it was after Ned dispatched Beric that Robert died? 

That makes the most sense - the Kings banner should have been enough, and probably would have been if Robert hadn't kicked the bucket.

21 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Do you recall how long it was after Ned dispatched Beric that Robert died? 

That makes the most sense - the Kings banner should have been enough, and probably would have been if Robert hadn't kicked the bucket.

Hard to say. Beric sets out the next morning after he was commissioned, but than an indeterminant amount of time goes by before Robert returns from the hunt. In between those two events, on the same day he had his conversation with Cersei in the godswood, Ned says he has found a ship, the Wind Witch, to take the girls north and it will depart "three days hence." Then Ned awoke to the news that Robert died on the same day they were scheduled to depart, so Robert only lingered on his death bed for a day or two, but it's difficult to say how long Beric had been gone by this point -- I would imagine not much more than a fortnight.

In Eddard's view, the king's banner was enough to protect Beric:

"Lord Beric rides beneath the king's own banner. If Lord Tywin attempts to interfere with the king's justice, he will have Robert to answer to. The only thing His Grace enjoys more than hunting is making war on lords who defy him."

Archived