U.S. Politics: Next-ennials vs stamps

lokisnow

Kids these days! Did you know the next generation are worse than millenials? They don’t even know where to buy a stamp, the ones in college! Also filling out forms is hard!

https://wtop.com/local/2018/09/why-college-students-dont-vote-absentee-they-dont-know-where-to-buy-a-postage-stamp/

FAIRFAX, Va. — “Vote or die.” Unless, it’s too hard to find a stamp.

A Fairfax County focus group this summer found many college students who have gotten an absentee ballot simply fail to send it back because a U.S. Postal Service stamp seems to be a foreign concept to them.

“One thing that came up, which I had heard from my own kids but I thought they were just nerdy, was that the students will go through the process of applying for a mail-in absentee ballot, they will fill out the ballot, and then, they don’t know where to get stamps,” Lisa Connors with the Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs said.

That seems to be like a hump that they can’t get across.”

NEWS

The focus group included college interns from across numerous county departments.

“They all agreed that they knew lots of people who did not send in their ballots because it was too much of a hassle or they didn’t know where to get a stamp,” Connors said.

“Across the board, they were all nodding and had a very spirited conversation about ‘Oh yeah, I know so many people who didn’t send theirs in because they didn’t have a stamp.’”

To take on the apparent challenge, the county hopes many students will vote in-person absentee while visiting home during fall breaks. In-person absentee voting begins Friday.

“We’re really working on information to get the college students to be able to actually vote where they’re registered and vote absentee because it’s very confusing and it has a lot of pieces that can sort of go wrong in the middle of it,” said Kate Hanley, Fairfax County Electoral Board secretary.

Students could have changed their voter registration location if they got a new driver’s license or filled out a new voter registration application on campus.

Fairfax County General Registrar Gary Scott also wants to ensure students fill out absentee ballot request forms correctly, listing their home address where they are registered to vote in the area labeled “residence address” and the address where they want the ballot delivered in the separate area that is more clearly marked.

Mixing up the two makes the form invalid.

“And so, we have to deny that application,” Scott said. “Because we have to match to make sure it’s the right person getting a ballot.”

edit: apparently the label X-ennial I had heard of but not internalized is reserved for a precious cadre of elderly millennials who want to identify as Gen X instead of millenials because they're soooooo embarassed by their younger sibs.

therefore, I hearby invent the label Next-ennials for the post millenial generation because all the suggested labels for them suck.[/i]

It appears that Senator Feinstein is hedging her bet:

Feinstein told reporters on Capitol Hill that Ford had been "profoundly impacted" by her experience, according to National Review, but added that she "can't say" if the allegations are "truthful."

"[Ford] is a woman that has been, I think, profoundly impacted," she said, according to National Review.

"I'm the lead Democrat, so this is all up to the Republican side," Feinstein added in the video recorded by Fox News. "I can't say everything is truthful, I don't know, she continues."

The link has a video if you want to hear the phrase in context.

Also, quite predictably, the accuser is not interested in testifying on Monday. I'm curious what McConnell will do -- is he willing to delay the confirmation indefinitely?

I'm the same age as kavenough and ford. When I was 16 I was at a back to school party with my cousin, who was dating the best friend of a boy I had a crush on all summer.

The beer was Miller in bottles and the music was a Rush album (an actual LP )

I'd only had two beers. I was kissing that boy I liked (man was I feeling lucky).  Then I let him pull down my orange tube top and get to 2nd base.

Next thing I know he has me on the floor, he's on top of me with one hand over my mouth and the other undoing my jean shorts.

Let me tell you, I remember a lot about that party, like him saying "you knew what I wanted when you let me pull down your top" 

I remember how embarrassed I was when someone came looking for us and I quickly pulled my pants up, and how utterly humiliated I was at the blood and wetness and whatever seeped through my pants.

So yeah, it's possible to remember a lot from a party when you were a teen, especially if something traumatic happens to you at that party, even if it was over 30 years ago.

All I'm trying to say is that it's possible to remember in great detail some things.  But if you asked that boy about it, I bet his story would be different than mine and both of us would believe we are telling the truth. (but I bet he remembers a lot fewer details than I do)

Continuing with the utter unfitness of Kavanaugh to be on the SCOTUS, he sneers at the parents of victims of Parkland.  Check out the video and the expression on his face -- it is that of a sneering, cold monster.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/parkland-victim-s-father-kavanaugh-handshake-wasn-t-n906331

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brett-kavanaugh-avoids-shaking-hands-with-father-of-parkland-shooting-victim/

The rethugs are going to do or die (and those who die will be us) to get Kavanaugh confirmed.  In the meantime Ms. Ford -- lordessa, the death threats!  How dare she even walk into the Capitol without fearing for her life and the lives of her family?  Yah, she's really doing this as part of a plot, you just damned betcha.

And yes, we have let such a person get through to the SCOTUS which has aided and abetted and colluded and been complicit with the constantly escalating war on women ever since -- Clarence Thomas.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Also, quite predictably, the accuser is not interested in testifying on Monday. I'm curious what McConnell will do -- is he willing to delay the confirmation indefinitely?

Hm.  Seems like the smart political move.  Let's think what Republicans would do when they didn't have any voting power?  Delay, obfuscate, propagandize.  In your worst assumptions, this is a chickens and roosting situation.  In the most likely situation, it's a smart woman ensuring she doesn't get comprehensively played by a bunch of white GOP Senators like Anita Hill.

3 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Kids these days! Did you know the next generation are worse than millenials? They don’t even know where to buy a stamp, the ones in college!

The ballots don't come with freepost envelopes???

4 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

This was, of course, bound to happen. Nothing surprising, but it is so infuriating.

First it was, he wasn't there, and some how he remembered the party she was talking about yet he wasn't there at, all while not being able to recall shit from less time ago than then. Then it has become a combination of well, he was there but who gives a shit if he did it since it was so long ago, and well he was just playing with her. Also, he was just drunk. 

If women are drunk and are raped = they're own fault. 

Man drunk and tries to rape someone = not his fault. 

This sticking up for Kavanaugh has it all, corruption, rape apologists, gaslighting, flat out lies, death threats to the victim. You name it, it's got it.

Why ruin a mans life for the actions of a few minutes decades ago. Sounds like the Brock Turner defense the father threw out there, and the judge followed with his bullshit sentencing for raping a woman. Sounds like Kavanaugh's and the GOPs type of judge. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/us/politics/us-migrant-children-whereabouts-.html?partner=rss&emc=rsshttps://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/18/us/politics/us-migrant-children-whereabouts-.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

U.S. Loses Track of Another 1,500 Migrant Children, Investigators Find

Why so many incompetent nazis on the government people? Maybe because they're destroying records? How many of these children were already sold as sex slaves to the russia mafia i wonder. Maybe we can have some more pizzagate on faux news?

Remember this video:

From the last thread:

@Altherion

I have opposed neo-liberalism from the point where I first understood what it was (I think it's been nearly a decade now) and I don't see how I can be closer to neo-liberal doctrine than the clear majority on these forums who supported Hillary Clinton (an archetypal neo-liberal if ever there was one) in 2016.

Regarding identity politics... sometimes the only way to fight fire is with fire, even if this carries a small risk of burning everything down. I would be pleased never to use the rhetoric of identity politics again if only everyone else would do the same, but as long as there are groups using such rhetoric, everyone must use it or be at a disadvantage (look at the various "diversity initiatives" and similar vileness). This is material to the struggle against neo-liberalism because, like most phenomena, these groups take the path of least resistance which is not fighting against the neo-liberals (this is really hard), but aligning with the latter in exchange for the right to take something (funding, positions, etc.) from less active groups (this is more or less what happened in the 2016 Democratic primary).

The tactics of identity politics are now so deeply entrenched in certain groups that there is no realistic way to get them to just drop it -- there are entire professions and academic fields whose jobs consist solely of pushing for advantages for one group or another. Thus, the only way to fight this evil is for everyone else to match them rage for rage, self-righteousness for self-righteousness. At that point, fighting other groups is no longer the path of least resistance.

I'm pretty confused on what you think it means to be neo-liberal.
It's true of course that there is some variation in the notion of who is and who isn't neo-liberal, but most people would agree that if neo liberal means anything, it is an almost reiligous like belief in the "free market". Stealing the term from others, I've called it "free market" fundamentialism.
You seem to however believe that neo-liberalism is linked intimately with "identity politics" in some fashion. If you start with some kind of Marxian analysis of political economy where class conflict plays a role or at least some role in the distribution of incomes, how would you  arrive at this conclusion, since class is one identity, among many.
I do in fact believe that class conflict does play some role in the setting of wages, particularly since it does appear the basic supply and demand model seems like a very bad model for labor markets and because there is growing evidence that employers do have some ability to set wages that isn't align with the value of workers marginal product. Accordingly, I support increasing the clout of labor unions or more simply put, I support identity politics. But, it would appear by using your notion of what it means to be neo-liberal, I'm a neo liberal.
 I sit here wondering how this works.

7 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Kids these days! Did you know the next generation are worse than millenials? They don’t even know where to buy a stamp, the ones in college! Also filling out forms is hard!

https://wtop.com/local/2018/09/why-college-students-dont-vote-absentee-they-dont-know-where-to-buy-a-postage-stamp/

edit: apparently the label X-ennial I had heard of but not internalized is reserved for a precious cadre of elderly millennials who want to identify as Gen X instead of millenials because they're soooooo embarassed by their younger sibs.

therefore, I hearby invent the label Next-ennials for the post millenial generation because all the suggested labels for them suck.[/i]

You'd think they'd at least know how to google "where can I buy stamps?".

Hell, that's how I learned how to fill out a check a decade ago.

6 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

So yeah, it's possible to remember a lot from a party when you were a teen, especially if something traumatic happens to you at that party, even if it was over 30 years ago.

I've never been the victim of anything remotely resembling a sexual assault, so I just want to be clear that I don't wan't to compare myself with victims that have gone through that type of ordeal.
But, I do want to say, that it is quite possible to remember stuff vividly from one's teenage years. Even though it has been over two decades since I've been a teenager, I do recall certain episodes quite vividly, even certain episodes when I was three sheets to the wind.
Accordingly, I don't find an argument implying that since it's been 35 years or so since Ford was assaulted, that she couldn't sufficiently remember the details, not a particularly good argument.

Just to be clear, I'd would be in favor of fucking over Kavanaugh and the Republican Party, simply as payback for Merrick Garland.

I don't think this current Republican Party can be dealt with any other way. Reasoning with them won't work. Appealing to norms won't work either. They simply need to get the message you hit us, then we will hit back harder.

Republicans and conservatives want to play hard ball? Fine. But don't sit their and start bellyaching about it, when things get rough.

On conservative bellyaching.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/opinion/brett-kavanaugh-republicans-bad-faith.html

Activists in Maine opposed to the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court are trying to put pressure on Susan Collins, the state’s Republican senator. If Collins votes for Kavanaugh, they say, they will donate substantial sums to her opponent in the next election.
Whatever you think of Kavanaugh, this is surely a legitimate tactic: Donors and activists try to influence politicians’ votes all the time, often by warning of adverse electoral consequences if the politicians make what the activists consider the wrong choice. Last year, for example, major Republican donors openly threatened to withhold contributions unless the party gave them a big tax cut.

But now Collins, other Republicans and conservative activists are describing the pressure over Kavanaugh as “bribery,” “extortion” and “blackmail.” And some of those claiming that normal political activism is somehow illegitimate are the very same big donors who warned Republicans to pass tax cuts or else.

And for centristy sorts of people sitting there about to piss themselves and nervously declaring "can't we keep it civil!", I'd suggest that ship has already left the port and you might just have to make a decision on what you want to do.

9 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

This was, of course, bound to happen. Nothing surprising, but it is so infuriating.

So this is a public admission by a Kavanaugh representative that something happened. Interesting.

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

And for centristy sorts of people sitting there about to piss themselves and nervously declaring "can't we keep it civil!", I'd suggest that ship has already left the port and you might just have to make a decision on what you want to do.

I'm pretty sure I can point out hypocrisy in a civil manner. If I want to get my way in trade talks and the other side are being dicks, the worst thing for me to do is be uncivil.

Is America Facing a Labor Shortage?

The low unemployment rate and stagnant wages point to a depressed economy underneath.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/is-america-facing-a-labor-shortage/570649/

Across the country, there are more jobs available than there are workers looking for them, as the unemployment rate has dropped to a nearly two-decade low. Businesses are complaining of worker shortages, arguing they could do more and sell more and build more if they could just find the labor. Yet wages remain strikingly flat, with much of the raises that workers are making getting eaten up by inflation.

9 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I'm the same age as kavenough and ford. When I was 16 I was at a back to school party with my cousin, who was dating the best friend of a boy I had a crush on all summer.

The beer was Miller in bottles and the music was a Rush album (an actual LP )

I'd only had two beers. I was kissing that boy I liked (man was I feeling lucky).  Then I let him pull down my orange tube top and get to 2nd base.

Next thing I know he has me on the floor, he's on top of me with one hand over my mouth and the other undoing my jean shorts.

Lany, I had a very, very similar thing happen to me when I was in first year of university. I had had a beer and then a rye and coke and no one had ever told me about not mixing drinks and I too had kissed a cute boy. Then I realized I wanted to throw up and went to the bathroom. Much to my surprise he had followed me, closed the door, and had me on the floor and was on top of me trying to pull down my pants. The only thing that saved me was being able to yell I need to throw up!

That happened 44 years ago in September and I remember many details, but I couldn’t tell you where the party was. It was at a somebody’s house, that’s all I remember.

Some encouraging gubernatorial polls of late.  Sisolak is up 12 (50-38) in Nevada according to Gravis, Whitmer is up 9 (50-41) in Michigan according to Target Insyght, and Evers is up 5 (49-44) on old friend Scott Walker in Wisconsin according to Marquette.  Less but still somewhat recently, Gillum has shown small but substantial leads against DeSantis since the Florida primaries were settled.  RCP - a conservative leaning site - has 7 governor tossups.

Three (FL, NV, WI) look pretty good right now, and the amount of undecideds in Ohio polling would worry me if I was quasi-incumbent Mike DeWine.  I'm less bullish on the other three tossups (Georgia, Iowa, Kansas), but if they can net the other four, along with pickups in Illinois, Maine, Michigan, and New Mexico, the Dems can go from 16 to 24 governors in one cycle.  Not too shabby.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Some encouraging gubernatorial polls of late.  Sisolak is up 12 (50-38) in Nevada according to Gravis, Whitmer is up 9 (50-41) in Michigan according to Target Insyght, and Evers is up 5 (49-44) on old friend Scott Walker in Wisconsin according to Marquette.  Less but still somewhat recently, Gillum has shown small but substantial leads against DeSantis since the Florida primaries were settled.  RCP - a conservative leaning site - has 7 governor tossups.

Three (FL, NV, WI) look pretty good right now, and the amount of undecideds in Ohio polling would worry me if I was quasi-incumbent Mike DeWine.  I'm less bullish on the other three tossups (Georgia, Iowa, Kansas), but if they can net the other four, along with pickups in Illinois, Maine, Michigan, and New Mexico, the Dems can go from 16 to 24 governors in one cycle.  Not too shabby.

I agree, the governor's polling the last few days has been good.  I'm not as bullish as you on Ohio (it is in play, but it looks like DeWine is clearly ahead).  But even without that, a pickup of FL, MI, WI, and IL, along with a hold in PA, CO and MN would be really huge.  The Democrats could come out of this cycle holding the governor's mansion in 5 of the top 6 most populous states, and ten of the top 13.  And that's assuming that Republicans hold GA and OH, which is by no means certain.  A dream scenario could have Democrats win GA, OH and AZ, and control the state house in 13 of the top 14 (all but Texas, where Abbot is rolling).  While the Democrats undoubtedly won't control the state Houses in all those states, the governor can ensure a reasonable partisan split when the new maps are drawn.

I am still kind of at a loss as to how guys like Baker and Hogan can be not just ahead but almost untouchably ahead in MA and MD.  Maybe people don't know that voting for them is like voting for Republicans to control the House?

BTW, those 24 potential states with Democratic governors would account for 321 electoral votes right now.  Quick math says that equals 273 of the 435 seats in the House the Dems would have a governor overseeing if they can hold come the 2020 census.  Really, the only big states left to be concerned about gerrymandering would be Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Indiana, and Missouri (and the last two could very well be competitive in 2020).  Mayhaps we'll have to move on to focus on complaining about the Senate rather than gerrymandering.

Archived