U.S. Politics: Next-ennials vs stamps

lokisnow

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Lindsay Graham already said he doesn’t give a fuck what Dr. Ford says, he is on Kavanaugh’s side. I expect many of the Republicans who will be at the hearing are the same.

Wasn't Graham an Air Force JAG? You'd think he'd know better.

They must have some really juicy dirt on him for him to act this way.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Drudge saying Ronan Farrow and Jane Meyer are about to publish an account of a new Kavanaugh accuser....and 'a dildo.'

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez

The second accusation. Now we know why the unholy rush to Monday was on. The GOP apparently knew of this last week.

This time, there's independent corroboration, and what's more, this happened when Kavanaugh was 18, meaning he lied under oath about his not ever having sexually harassed anyone.

2 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

i'm shocked, shocked that republicans knowingly tried to rush through ,a lifetime appointment to the supreme court, someone who has multiple accusations of sexual misconduct. Shocked. 

i just hope this further hurts them with white women that it destroys them in november

5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Rumor on Twitter has it there is a third accuser being represented by Avenatti. I stress that's a rumor.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/23/avenatti-says-he-represents-woman-with-credible-information-about-kavanaugh/

This person has info on Kavanaugh and Mark Judge, so it seems this could well be a third accuser, or someone who will support Christine Blasey Ford's allegation.

Seems like the floodgates have opened. 

Just now, fionwe1987 said:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/23/avenatti-says-he-represents-woman-with-credible-information-about-kavanaugh/

This person has info on Kavanaugh and Mark Judge, so it seems this could well be a third accuser, or someone who will support Christine Blasey Ford's allegation.

Seems like the floodgates have opened. 

He just tweeted a few minutes ago saying that Deborah Ramirez is not his client. It makes me think this a completely different incident.

1 minute ago, Triskjavikson said:

Something I'm confused about:

Why is the GOP acting so focused on getting Kavanaugh specifically on the court given all of this?  I get that they really want a right winger completely, but surely they have plenty of other options.  

Is there some process element I'm not thinking of that explains this?

Its because they don't want their base pissed off so close to the midterms. 

2 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

Why is the GOP acting so focused on getting Kavanaugh specifically on the court given all of this?  I get that they really want a right winger completely, but surely they have plenty of other options.

They wanted to get it in before the midterms.  Withdrawing and renominating would require a lame duck confirmation schedule.

Probably more a case of they do not want to lose to the Democrats, especially this close to the mid-terms. Pulling a SC nominee because the Democrats are strongly supporting his accusers is definitely a big loss. The question is what's the cost benefit of continuing to back him right up to the mid-terms, vs pulling his nomination and attacking the Democrats for forcing a "good man" to be pulled from SC nomination?

My guess is that the Republicans probably get better campaign mileage by removing Kavanaugh from the spotlight (pull his nomination) and just go with the evil Democrats ruined an innocent man's career narrative, without actually having to argue any specifics or hold any kind of trial by media. But they can only really do that if they are sure of winning the Senate, if they think they are really vulnerable in the Senate then they probably think they must get their SC nomination through before the mid-terms because they won't get another chance until 2020, and then only if they win the Senate back AND get Trump (or another republican) back in the Whitehouse.

It's a bit of a conundrum.

6 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

The Republican base seem to see rape and lying as a bonus. attacks against the poor. middle class or minorities extra bonus. Love children are fine, even if abortion drugs are slipped in a womans drug....because...Eve.

Wow, must be great being team Republican. They can know you are likely an Ivy bro rapist and they will really go to bat for you. There is hope for every bratty little assaulter out there, as long as they are the right social class.

2 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

So it must for some reason not be feasible to withdraw this nomination and then get another in there?

I wonder what Anthony Kennedy thinks of all of this with that rumor that this was his hand-picked successor...

No, it takes 50 days, which was the time for RBG. They chose to get a rapist in there.

Archived