U.S. Politics: Next-ennials vs stamps

lokisnow

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The question is what's the cost benefit of continuing to back him right up to the mid-terms, vs pulling his nomination and attacking the Democrats for forcing a "good man" to be pulled from SC nomination?

I think you're overthinking this.  Getting Kavanaugh confirmed is obviously the optimal situation for the GOP (from a rational choice perspective).  If they aren't going to be able to do that it will be apparent in about a week, and they can reassess then.

They also wanted to get Kavanaugh or anyone else in when the new SC session started on October 4th. (I think that's the date). Because there are a lot of important cases coming up that they'd like to win. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

They also wanted to get Kavanaugh or anyone else in when the new SC session started on October 4th. (I think that's the date). Because there are a lot of important cases coming up that they'd like to win. 

Whatever happens in the end, I have a feeling that October 4th deadline is done for, now.

I note they called this one a smear right away, probably because time is running out, but given how much evidence there is to back this up, they cannot leave it at that. Which means more hearings, at the very least, I would think.

28 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

So it must for some reason not be feasible to withdraw this nomination and then get another in there?

I wonder what Anthony Kennedy thinks of all of this with that rumor that this was his hand-picked successor...

Who gives a fuck what that disgusting old white bigoted scumbag thinks about this. 

I hope his asshole rots out. 

3 women have come foward. avenatti is representing one that has not been named yet. That story that Judge told his ex, that is in that new yorker article is disgusting. And Avenatti is implying he represents someone who was a victim of that exact same situation, victimized by Judge and Kavanaugh.

17 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Whatever happens in the end, I have a feeling that October 4th deadline is done for, now.

I note they called this one a smear right away, probably because time is running out, but given how much evidence there is to back this up, they cannot leave it at that. Which means more hearings, at the very least, I would think.

When you say evidence, you mean allegations right? Without making a judgement as to credibility, there's no evidence other that the allegations themselves right?

The whole basis of the Republican response is that these are all coordinated malicious accusations without any evidence to back them up. Not that any objective evidence would get in the way of true believers who would just dismiss any such evidence as fabricated as part of the grand conspiracy.

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

When you say evidence, you mean allegations right? Without making a judgement as to credibility, there's no evidence other that the allegations themselves right?

The whole basis of the Republican response is that these are all coordinated malicious accusations without any evidence to back them up. Not that any objective evidence would get in the way of true believers who would just dismiss any such evidence as fabricated as part of the grand conspiracy.

Multiple allegations.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

No, I mean evidence. Contemporaneous accounts heard by other people is evidence. Hearsay evidence? Sure. But its relevance here is clear. 

It is possible Ramirez spread the rumor back then. But that begs the question: why didn't she use it before now, then? Either way, the idea this is an 11th hour smear job is refuted by these contemporaneous accounts several people will attest to. Unless Ramirez can travel back in time or something.

6 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

No, I mean evidence. Contemporaneous accounts heard by other people is evidence. Hearsay evidence? Sure. But its relevance here is clear. 

It is possible Ramirez spread the rumor back then. But that begs the question: why didn't she use it before now, then? Either way, the idea this is an 11th hour smear job is refuted by these contemporaneous accounts several people will attest to. Unless Ramirez can travel back in time or something.

I wasn't aware of that. Pretty significant additional information.

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I wasn't aware of that. Pretty significant additional information.

From the article:

The New Yorker has not confirmed with other eyewitnesses that Kavanaugh was present at the party. The magazine contacted several dozen classmates of Ramirez and Kavanaugh regarding the incident. Many did not respond to interview requests; others declined to comment, or said they did not attend or remember the party. A classmate of Ramirez’s, who declined to be identified because of the partisan battle over Kavanaugh’s nomination, said that another student told him about the incident either on the night of the party or in the next day or two. The classmate said that he is “one-hundred-per-cent sure” that he was told at the time that Kavanaugh was the student who exposed himself to Ramirez. He independently recalled many of the same details offered by Ramirez, including that a male student had encouraged Kavanaugh as he exposed himself. The classmate, like Ramirez, recalled that the party took place in a common room on the first floor in Entryway B of Lawrance Hall, during their freshman year. “I’ve known this all along,” he said. “It’s been on my mind all these years when his name came up. It was a big deal.” The story stayed with him, he said, because it was disturbing and seemed outside the bounds of typically acceptable behavior, even during heavy drinking at parties on campus. The classmate said that he had been shocked, but not necessarily surprised, because the social group to which Kavanaugh belonged often drank to excess. He recalled Kavanaugh as “relatively shy” until he drank, at which point he said that Kavanaugh could become “aggressive and even belligerent.”

Another classmate, Richard Oh, an emergency-room doctor in California, recalled overhearing, soon after the party, a female student tearfully recounting to another student an incident at a party involving a gag with a fake penis, followed by a male student exposing himself. Oh is not certain of the identity of the female student. Ramirez told her mother and sister about an upsetting incident at the time, but did not describe the details to either due to her embarrassment.

And also:

Mark Krasberg, an assistant professor of neurosurgery at the University of New Mexico who was also a member of Kavanaugh and Ramirez’s class at Yale, said Kavanaugh’s college behavior had become a topic of discussion among former Yale students soon after Kavanaugh’s nomination. In one e-mail that Krasberg received in September, the classmate who recalled hearing about the incident with Ramirez alluded to it and wrote that it “would qualify as a sexual assault,” he speculated, “if it’s true.”

He couldn't resist. Because Trump basically believes rapists should be able to openly flaunt their crimes. That's the country he hopes to turn the U.S. into.

Why Trump Can’t Believe Christine Blasey Ford
His own, extensive experience with being accused of sexual assault informs his defense of Brett Kavanaugh.

https://newrepublic.com/article/151342/trump-cant-believe-christine-blasey-ford

It’s a damning critique of President Donald Trump that his own staffers treated his relatively muted response to a sexual-assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh as a minor miracle. CNN reported earlier this week that aides were “quietly stunned” that he managed to not directly criticize Christine Blasey Ford as her account roiled Washington. “Hopefully he can keep it together until Monday,” an unnamed White House official told Axios on Thursday. “That’s only, like, another 48 hours right?”

He didn’t even last that long. Trump opened Friday morning by aggressively casting doubt on Blasey’s account, questioning why she didn’t report her allegations to law enforcement in the early 1980s, immediately after the alleged assault.

Three or more allegations of sexual misconduct might be able to end Kavanaugh's nomination.  I didn't think one allegation was going to be enough, but it's much harder to dismiss multiple allegations.  He's starting to look like Cosby, Weinstein, and the others that have been taken down after the allegations started piling up.  It looks like a very credible story is emerging.  Kavanaugh got drunk, which he did a lot during at least during high school and college, and while he was drunk, he would sexually assault women.  I wouldn't be surprised now if many other people come forward with similar accounts.

It's going to be difficult for Collins to credibly maintain her support of Kavanaugh and claim that she supports women's rights.  If two Republicans refuse to confirm Kavanaugh, then he's finished.  If his nomination fails, I wonder if he gets kicked out of the Court of Appeals too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kavanaugh-friend-mark-judge-reportedly-022054154.html?guccounter=1

Kavanaugh Friend Mark Judge Reportedly Admitted to ‘Taking Turns’ Having Sex With Drunk Girl

To be honest this is the same creep that had (most of them were reposted) videos he did himself with 'teen models' (14-17) in underwear doing sexual explicit poses and talking about 'uncontrollable male passion' and 'i want to go back to teaching middle school'.

Kompromat on all levels.

21 minutes ago, Serious Callers Only said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kavanaugh-friend-mark-judge-reportedly-022054154.html?guccounter=1

To be honest this is the same creep that had (most of them were reposted) videos he did himself with 'teen models' (14-17) in underwear doing sexual explicit poses and talking about 'uncontrollable male passion' and 'i want to go back to teaching middle school'.

Kompromat on all levels.

Yea, what he described is actually a gang rape.

And avenatti has a 3rd woman, and going by what he is saying, could be a woman they did this to.

Archived