U.S. Politics: Next-ennials vs stamps

lokisnow

5 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

If he really had sex with anyone before "several years after high school" they will be coming forward today or tomorrow, and being proven a liar will torpedo his candidacy. He never would have stated something like that that could be proved false

Well that's pretty dumb. He's going to make any woman who comes out as a liar. It'll be he said she said all over again.

And yeah, most women aren't going to come out. Even the woman mentioned in his yearbook said nothing happened, even though she was pissed. Kvanaugh's attorney even said she was someone he kissed, and she disagreed with even that. Doubt anyone is going to come out and say they slept with Kavanaugh.

8 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

If he really had sex with anyone before "several years after high school" they will be coming forward today or tomorrow, and being proven a liar will torpedo his candidacy. He never would have stated something like that that could be proved false

The whole "I was a virgin" thing is just mindnumbingly dumb on its face, as "sexual assaulter" and "virgin" aren't mutually exclusive concepts.

But beyond that, if he's lying, what would be the impetus for one of his consensual sexual partners from that time to come forward? His supporters will demand proof beyond a reasonable doubt that they boinked, and if she's unable to provide that, then she'll be branded a lying witch in league with his accusers.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

You're mistakenly accepting the premise.  I don't believe he was a virgin.  C'mon.  It's pathetic that this act is served up to and for the evangelicals and they so absurdly accept it.  Blind faith is the most powerful tool in American history.

Does that really matter though? He’s already got the religious right on his side in locked step. I think the culture he was in is what’s key, and combined that with what his college roommate said about him, that he drank heavily and was an angry, belligerent drunk, and you’ve got enough to accept that it’s quite possible that he got blackout drunk and attacked Ford.

18 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

But beyond that, if he's lying, what would be the impetus for one of his consensual sexual partners from that time to come forward? 

This. Making such an unequivocal statement seems like a major blunder.

I did not have sexual intercourse or anything close to sexual intercourse in high school or for many years thereafter.

16 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Does that really matter though? He’s already got the religious right on his side in locked step.

White evangelical protestants is the dominant portion of his base.  So, yes, it matters to put on a show for them in that regard.

17 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I think the culture he was in is what’s key, and combined that with what his college roommate said about him, that he drank heavily and was an angry, belligerent drunk, and you’ve got enough to accept that it’s quite possible that he got blackout drunk and attacked Ford.

As for this, well, yeah.

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

White evangelical protestants is the dominant portion of his base.  So, yes, it matters to put on a show for them in that regard.

As for this, well, yeah.

I know that and get the point you’re making. I just don’t think it matters anymore. They forgave Trump for all of his many, undeniable sins. What’s a little he said, she said groping to them at this point? Keep in mind, Republicans had to pull a Supreme Court nominee in the 80’s because he admitted to smoking grass. 30 years later they won’t pull one with a credible accusation of sexual assault. That’s who they’ve become.

I'm kinda confused, did underage drinking ever take place? All these stories have a theme of alcohol running through them, and I cant quite pin down what the ages were and what the legal age of drinking is (the case where he is 17 seems pretty clear cut, but I know in the past the US had legal age as 18).

Just another case where entitled douches get a free pass while disadvantaged minorities are languishing in jail for possession of illegal substances.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Just another case where entitled douches get a free pass while disadvantaged minorities are languishing in jail for possession of illegal substances.

Er, that's generally true I'm sure but are disadvantaged minorities in the US really languishing in jail for underaged drinking? That seems like something the vast majority of people in the Western world have done and not been jailed for.

2 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

One thing I keep getting hung up on is Kavanaugh was a three sport athlete who loved the party culture. So was I, and literally every single dude in that circle, be it atheist or devoutly religious, was trying to get laid every single Friday and Saturday night. I don’t believe for one second that just because he was a virgin doesn’t mean he tried to drunkenly maul some chick.

I mean, there are problems all over his position. Even if you accept what he’s saying as true, it in no way refutes the allegations (at least the ones I’ve heard.) It’s a non-point that imo seeks to build a straw man designed for conservative consumption...in which case the ridicule he’ll get for this admission will all be channeled into righteous indignation along the lines of ‘it’s actually okay to not have sex as a teenager, you know!’.

Whereupon we’ll see the phenomenon of an accused sexual assaulter promoted as some kind of champion for sexual agency with (I assume) no sense of the extreme irony. Without diminishing the pain of the victims, I would almost say that in this ordeal his actual decisions of how to handle the situation speak even more loudly to his not being qualified for the job than his behaviour back in HS. Because you can argue people can change over time. Not saying boys will be boys...imo his Hs behaviour also disqualifies him, but for the sake of argument I can accept that in 30 years a person can undergo significant changes and effectively not be the person who did those kinds of things back in HS. 

Whereas in the here and now he is showing zero accountability, zero remorse, zero compassion for the accusers, a very weird understanding of how evidence works and just incredibly bad judgment all around. He does not belong behind a bench, let alone behind The bench.

32 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I know that and get the point you’re making. I just don’t think it matters anymore. They forgave Trump for all of his many, undeniable sins. What’s a little he said, she said groping to them at this point? Keep in mind, Republicans had to pull a Supreme Court nominee in the 80’s because he admitted to smoking grass. 30 years later they won’t pull one with a credible accusation of sexual assault. That’s who they’ve become.

Agree.  I suppose you're making too much of my statement.  I don't think he's in danger of losing them, was just commenting on to whom that carefully designed interview was aimed at.  As in dumb white people that will be like "well, he said he's a virgin, that can't be a lie!"

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Er, that's generally true I'm sure but are disadvantaged minorities in the US really languishing in jail for underaged drinking? That seems like something the vast majority of people in the Western world have done and not been jailed for.

Oh no, it was a sideways rant about people consuming alcohol illegally and getting away scot free while minorities could be arrested for possession of weed.

39 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

there is no credible accusation. there are 2 non-credible claims, both of which were denied not just by Kavanaugh but by everyone else with supposed first hand knowledge of the parties ever taking place or Kavanaugh being at such a party. 

Just now, Frog Eater said:

there is no credible accusation. there are 2 non-credible claims, both of which were denied not just by Kavanaugh but by everyone else with supposed first hand knowledge of the parties ever taking place or Kavanaugh being at such a party. 

Ah, so another definition of credibility debate...

22 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

there is no credible accusation. 

Sigh. Once again.

Obama is a secret mooslim from Kenya = not credible.

Democrats are running a pedophile ring out of pizza parlors = not credible.

An incident which Ford told her therapist and husband about years ago with a potential witness identified by name. Combined with all the info concerning drinking/the school's culture and other potential victims speaking up  = credible.

Either way, there clearly needs to be a full investigation. We know this isn't a he said/she said story so Judge, Ford's husband, her therapist, their classmates...they all need to testify so that we can clear his good name right? The problem for Kavanaugh is he's already proven to be at best a dissembler and at worst a liar across a variety of topics. Dude has major credibility problems and that's going to come back to bite him.

Since we are coming to the close of the thread, probably can finish it off by noting that the entire UN General Assembly laughed at Trump when he claimed his Administration had done more than any other in the history of the US.

What an "emperor has no clothes' moment....and for those who voted for him because he would make the rest of the world respect America......there is not better evidence that he did just the opposite

1 hour ago, Frog Eater said:

You continue to show just how naive you really are lol.

This guy lied under oath numerous times. Wake up.

30 minutes ago, Frog Eater said:

I've been meaning to say this for a while. Some of you have been utterly disgusting throughout this event.

Archived