U.S. Politics: Next-ennials vs stamps

lokisnow

Jane Mayer, who's a national treasure btw, says Ramirez wasn't the first source of her accusation. It was emails between Yale classmates, which had leaked to the Newyorker and other media sources in July. Ramirez was very reluctant to come out.

Kavanaugh apprently asked for Mayer and Farrow to speak to a woman he said would support him. That woman says she doesn't believe Ramirez would do something like this for political reasons...

1 minute ago, fionwe1987 said:

Jane Mayer, who's a national treasure btw, says Ramirez wasn't the first source of her accusation. It was emails between Yale classmates, which had leaked to the Newyorker and other media sources in July. Ramirez was very reluctant to come out.

I saw Mayer on Morning Joe this morning.  She said they (as in Farrow and Mayer) had to contact Ramirez to initiate conversations.

As Kavanaugh's appointment was purely political what the eff did the a$$hole$ expect as a consequence?  Especially after the purely political position to not even consider Obama's appointment, a year before he left office?  But that's talking rationality and reason, which don't apply to them.  Only what they want applies, and law, precedent, honesty and intelligence be damned!

Yale women were e-mailing each other since Kavanaugh's name came up for SCOTUS in July. so, now more allegations are emerging about the Georgetown Prep poshy lads' boozin' and rape 'em keep what happens at GP at GP culture.  No surprise there.  It was their culture and they sure did carry it to university.

What does surprise is that no one in the current media seems to recall (or even checked back in the archives of the Times, etc.) what was in the media starting in the early 80's of exactly these sorts of behaviors by these sorts of guy, that included actual murders of their own class of girls by those guys, such as the one in Central Park which dominated the headlines for months, and the one involving a nephew of the Kennedys. Rape and kill just wasn't of the question for the pill and booze overloaded of guys with too much time and money and too little brain. 

But nobody in the media seems to recall that matrix of of that class provoked much-discussed movies and fiction. This was the era of Bret Ellis, his Less Than Zero (1985), and American Psycho (1991).

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I don't understand how it matters if other women say they didn't get raped by this guy.  Who gives a shit?  Is the bar so low that it's cool as long as they can find a handful of women he didn't rape?

They're not just saying he didn't rape them personally, but that they knew him well and he would never act this way in a million years. I'm not saying it's convincing, but he is in deep shit and they are grasping at whatever they can to save him. One really disgusting thing to come out of this, is there is some sort of network of people at Yale that like to defend these rape bros. Although apparently there was a lot of people speaking up in emails as well.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

They're not just saying he didn't rape them personally, but that they knew him well and he would never act this way in a million years. I'm not saying it's convincing, but he is in deep shit and they are grasping at whatever they can to save him. One really disgusting thing to come out of this, is there is some sort of network of people at Yale that like to defend these rape bros. Although apparently there was a lot of people speaking up in emails as well.

Seems similar to friends of mass shooters.  "I don't see how he could have ever done something like that."  Yeah, for most of his life he wasn't a murderous asshole, but here we are and it doesn't mater.  And it doesn't really matter that we has able to keep is rapey hands to himself 'most' of the time either.  It's sickening how this is turning out.

Well that was a nice detour. Back to Kavanaugh, then?

Seriously, while I do agree that assuming all these flaps have clear thinking behind them is total BS, I do see the attraction. Just as 3 new stories break about Kvanaugh, we get this. And then, Trump is supposed to meet Rosenstein on Thursday, when Dr. Blasey will be testifying? Either way, this is going to be a hell of a week.

41 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

How many times have I said that I found the commercials run by the Republicans on CNN deeply suspicious? All those women talking about what a great guy Kavanaugh is, how smart he is, how thoughtful, open minded, what a great husband and father he is. 

The Republicans uncovered the stories of his wild youth and campaigned hard to paint him as a great guy. 

Lies lies lies and more lies.

I happen to be on vacation in the US at the moment from the UK, I cannot tell you how fucked up it is to see wall to wall coverage of a reported sexual assault interspersed with polished, well produced commercials about how great the reported assaulter is. Really, really messed up. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09/trump-wanted-to-nuke-rosenstein-to-save-kavanaughs-bacon

It appears that this time, Tump actually might have been trying to distract us"

According to a source briefed on Trump’s thinking, Trump decided that firing Rosenstein would knock Kavanaugh out of the news, potentially saving his nomination and Republicans’ chances for keeping the Senate. “The strategy was to try and do something really big,” the source said. The leak about Rosenstein’s resignation could have been the result, and it certainly had the desired effect of driving Kavanaugh out of the news for a few hours.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

As someone with personal experience with the Montgomery Country PD, I remain skeptical this will become anything.

I thought they were talking about Montgomery County, PA, in which case nothing would get done either. 

police vote 85% of the time for Republicans.  in a situation like this that involves their political beliefs conflicting with carrying out their duties, political beliefs win out and police are going to do nothing, most of time, most everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Nah, the police chief is mentioned in the thread - J. Thomas Manger - he's Maryland's.  Makes more sense, it's right outside DC.

I know. :) I heard "Montgomery County" which is right outside Philadelphia and my brain made that connection.

We have a statute of limitations anyway. That's why none of the people abused by the priests here will ever get justice. 

Archived