An evil girl's dark heart

AlaskanSandman

So this is a look at Arya and the basic set up of her journey and the contradictions in it.

A Dance with Dragons - The Blind Girl

She had said as much to the kindly man. "And are you a god, to decide who should live and who should die?" he asked her. "We give the gift to those marked by Him of Many Faces, after prayers and sacrifice. So has it always been, from the beginning. I have told you of the founding of our order, of how the first of us answered the prayers of slaves who wished for death. The gift was given only to those who yearned for it, in the beginning … but one day, the first of us heard a slave praying not for his own death but for his master's. So fervently did he desire this that he offered all he had, that his prayer might be answered. And it seemed to our first brother that this sacrifice would be pleasing to Him of Many Faces, so that night he granted the prayer. Then he went to the slave and said, 'You offered all you had for this man's death, but slaves have nothing but their lives. That is what the god desires of you. For the rest of your days on earth, you will serve him.' And from that moment, we were two." His hand closed around her arm, gently but firmly. "All men must die. We are but death's instruments, not death himself. When you slew the singer, you took god's powers on yourself. We kill men, but we do not presume to judge them. Do you understand?"

No, she thought. "Yes," she said.

So he heard another man pray for the death of another, agreed to grant it, but the payment/sacrifice was to become a faceless man also.

A Clash of Kings - Arya VI

Every night Arya would say their names. "Ser Gregor," she'd whisper to her stone pillow. "Dunsen, Polliver, Chiswyck, Raff the Sweetling. The Tickler and the Hound. Ser Amory, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, King Joffrey, Queen Cersei." Back in Winterfell, Arya had prayed with her mother in the sept and with her father in the godswood, but there were no gods on the road to Harrenhal, and her names were the only prayer she cared to remember.

So a girl prays, and a man hears.

A Clash of Kings - Arya VII

One afternoon, while she was waiting her turn to draw a pail of water from the well, she heard the hinges of the east gate groaning. A party of men rode under the portcullis at a walk. When she spied the manticore crawling across the shield of their leader, a stab of hate shot through her.

In the light of daySer Amory Lorch looked less frightening than he had by torchlight, but he still had the pig's eyes she recalledOne of the women said that his men had ridden all the way around the lake chasing Beric Dondarrion and slaying rebelsWe weren't rebelsArya thoughtWe were the Night's Watch; the Night's Watch takes no sideSer Amory had fewer men than she rememberedthough, and many woundedI hope their wounds festerI hope they all die.

Then she saw the three near the end of the column.

Rorge had donned a black halfhelm with a broad iron nasal that made it hard to see that he did not have a nose. Biter rode ponderously beside him on a destrier that looked ready to collapse under his weight. Half-healed burns covered his body, making him even more hideous than before.

But Jaqen H'ghar still smiled. His garb was still ragged and filthy, but he had found time to wash and brush his hair. It streamed down across his shoulders, red and white and shiny, and Arya heard the girls giggling to each other in admiration.

I should have let the fire have them. Gendry said to, I should have listened. If she hadn't thrown them that axe they'd all be dead. For a moment she was afraid, but they rode past her without a flicker of interest. Only Jaqen H'ghar so much as glanced in her direction, and his eyes passed right over her. He does not know me, she thought. Arry was a fierce little boy with a sword, and I'm just a grey mouse girl with a pail.

This is after Arya has met and free'd Jaqen.

A Clash of Kings - Arya II

Screaming, Biter reeled back, and then threw all his weight against his chains. The links slithered and turned and grew taut, and Arya heard the creak of old dry wood as the great iron rings strained against the floorboards of the wagon. Huge pale hands groped for her while veins bulged along Biter's arms, but the bonds held, and finally the man collapsed backward. Blood ran from the weeping sores on his cheeks.

"A boy has more courage than sense," the one who had named himself Jaqen H'ghar observed.

Arya edged backward away from the wagon. When she felt the hand on her shoulder, she whirled, bringing up her stick sword again, but it was only the Bull. "What are you doing?"

Arya meet's Jaqen

A Clash of Kings - Arya IV

She slashed down hard, and Needle's castle-forged steel bit into the grasping fingers between the knuckles. "Winterfell!" she screamed. Blood spurted, fingers flew, and the helmed face vanished as suddenly as it had appeared. "Behind!" Hot Pie yelled. Arya whirled. The second man was bearded and helmetless, his dirk between his teeth to leave both hands free for climbing. As he swung his leg over the parapet, she drove her point at his eyes. Needle never touched him; he reeled backward and fell. I hope he falls on his face and cuts off his tongue. "Watch them, not me!" she screamed at Hot Pie. The next time someone tried to climb their part of the wall, the boy hacked at his hands with his swordshort until the man dropped away.

------Gendry's sword shattered on the man's helm, tearing it off his head. Underneath he was bald and scared-looking, with missing teeth and a speckly grey beard, but even as she was feeling sorry for him she was killing him, shouting, "Winterfell! Winterfell!" while Hot Pie screamed "Hot Pie!" beside her as he hacked at the man's scrawny neck.

--Rushing through the barn doors was like running into a furnace. The air was swirling with smoke, the back wall a sheet of fire ground to roof. Their horses and donkeys were kicking and rearing and screaming. The poor animals, Arya thought. Then she saw the wagon, and the three men manacled to its bed. Biter was flinging himself against the chains, blood running down his arms from where the irons clasped his wrists. Rorge screamed curses, kicking at the wood. "Boy!" called Jaqen H'ghar. "Sweet boy!"

"Pull her," Arya said. "Push her."

"Good boys, kind boys," called Jaqen H'ghar, coughing.

"Get these fucking chains off!" Rorge screamed.

And free's Jaqen, but announces who she is to any one listening.

A Clash of Kings - Arya VIII

"Never mind about Ser Lyonel." He drew her aside by the arm. "Last night Hot Pie asked me if I heard you yell Winterfell back at the holdfast, when we were all fighting on the wall."

"I never did!"

"Yes you did. I heard you too."

"Everyone was yelling stuff," Arya said defensively. "Hot Pie yelled hot pie. He must have yelled it a hundred times."

"It's what you yelled that matters. I told Hot Pie he should clean the wax out of his ears, that all you yelled was Go to hell! If he asks you, you better say the same."

And people indeed heard her.

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

She regarded him suspiciouslyHad the gods sent him? "How'd you make the dog kill WeeseDid you call Rorge and Biter up from hell? Is Jaqen H'ghar your true name?"

"Some men have many names. Weasel. Arry. Arya."

She backed away from him, until she was pressed against the heart tree. "Did Gendry tell?"

"A man knows," he said again. "My lady of Stark."

but this is where things get weird.

A Dance with Dragons - The Blind Girl

"All men must die. We are but death's instruments, not death himself. When you slew the singer, you took god's powers on yourself. We kill men, but we do not presume to judge them. Do you understand?"

No, she thought. "Yes," she said.

But Jaqen gave her that power

Arya was dreaming of wolves running wild through the wood when a strong hand clamped down over her mouth like smooth warm stone, solid and unyielding. She woke at once, squirming and struggling. "A girl says nothing," a voice whispered close behind her ear. "A girl keeps her lips closed, no one hears, and friends may talk in secret. Yes?"

Heart pounding, Arya managed the tiniest of nods.

Jaqen H'ghar took his hand away. The cellar was black as pitch and she could not see his face, even inches away. She could smell him, though; his skin smelled clean and soapy, and he had scented his hair. "A boy becomes a girl," he murmured.

"I was always a girl. I didn't think you saw me."

"A man sees. A man knows."

She remembered that she hated him. "You scared meYou're one of them nowI should have let you burnWhat are you doing hereGo away or I'll yell for Weese."

"A man pays his debts. A man owes three."

"Three?"

"The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life. This girl took three that were his. This girl must give three in their places. Speak the names, and a man will do the rest."

Why is she allowed to judge men now?

Arya chewed her lip and tried to think when her courage had come back. Jaqen made me brave again. He made me a ghost instead of a mouse.

But now she wondered if that was truly the reason she had hesitated. So long as she could kill with a whisper, Arya need not be afraid of anyone . . . but once she used up the last death, she would only be a mouse again.

and Jaqen seems to not follow other rules to well either

A Dance with Dragons - The Ugly Little Girl

The priests used the language of Braavos, though once for several minutes three spoke heatedly in High Valyrian. The girl understood the words, mostly, but they spoke in soft voices, and she could not always hear. "I know this man," she did hear a priest with the face of a plague victim say. "I know this man," the fat fellow echoed, as she was pouring for him. But the handsome man said, "I will give this man the gift, I know him not." Later the squinter said the same thing, of someone else.

Jaqen knows the people Arya wants killed. He's serving with them all and should know their names. Further, Arya is playing god at Jaqen's command, and killing people she knows.  Now granted, these men do not know who Arya and Jaqen really are, but the men Arya and Jaqen are killing are not under secret identities. So does this have more to do with how the glamours work?

And what is the punishment if any for this infraction

"A man pays his debts. A man owes three."

"Three?"

"The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life. This girl took three that were his. This girl must give three in their places. Speak the names, and a man will do the rest."

Yet he turn's around and Arya pulls this move

Maybe the gods had sent him in answer to her prayers. "I need you to help me get those men out of the dungeons. That Glover and those others, all of them. We have to kill the guards and open the cell somehow—"

"A girl forgets," he said quietly. "Two she has had, three were owed. If a guard must die, she needs only speak his name."

"But one guard won't be enoughwe need to kill them all to open the cell." Arya bit her lip hard to stop from crying. "I want you to save the northmen like I saved you."

He looked down at her pitilessly. "Three lives were snatched from a god. Three lives must be repaid. The gods are not mocked." His voice was silk and steel.

"I never mocked." She thought for a moment. "The name . . . can I name anyone? And you'll kill him?"

Jaqen H'ghar inclined his head. "A man has said."

"Anyone?" she repeated. "A man, a woman, a little baby, or Lord Tywin, or the High Septon, or your father?"

"A man's sire is long dead, but did he live, and did you know his namehe would die at your command."

"Swear it," Arya said. "Swear it by the gods."

"By all the gods of sea and air, and even him of fire, I swear it." He placed a hand in the mouth of the weirwood. "By the seven new gods and the old gods beyond count, I swear it."

He has sworn. "Even if I named the king . . ."

"Speak the name, and death will come. On the morrow, at the turn of the moon, a year from this day, it will come. A man does not fly like a bird, but one foot moves and then another and one day a man is there, and a king dies." He knelt beside her, so they were face-to-face. "A girl whispers if she fears to speak aloud. Whisper it now. Is it Joffrey?"

Arya put her lips to his ear. "It's Jaqen H'ghar."

Even in the burning barn, with walls of flame towering all around and him in chains, he had not seemed so distraught as he did now. "A girl . . . she makes a jest."

Even in the burning barn, with walls of flame towering all around and him in chains, he had not seemed so distraught as he did now. "A girl . . . she makes a jest."

"You swore. The gods heard you swear."

"The gods did hear." There was a knife in his hand suddenly, its blade thin as her little finger. Whether it was meant for her or him, Arya could not say. "A girl will weep. A girl will lose her only friend."

"You're not my friend. A friend would help me." She stepped away from him, balanced on the balls of her feet in case he threw his knife. "I'd never kill a friend."

Jaqen's smile came and went. "A girl might . . . name another name then, if a friend did help?"

"A girl might," she said. "If a friend did help."

The knife vanished. "Come."

"Now?" She had never thought he would act so quickly.

"A man hears the whisper of sand in a glass. A man will not sleep until a girl unsays a certain name. Now, evil child."

I'm not an evil childshe thoughtI am a direwolf, and the ghost in HarrenhalShe put her broomstick back in its hiding place and followed him from the godswood.

---They're drinking and eating before they sleep, she realized. Pinkeye would have sent to wake me, to help with the serving. He'll know I'm not abed. But likely he was busy pouring for the Brave Companions and those of Ser Amory's garrison who had joined them. The noise they were making would be a good distraction.

"The hungry gods will feast on blood tonight, if a man would do this thing," Jaqen said. "Sweet girl, kind and gentle. Unsay one name and say another and cast this mad dream aside."

"I won't."

"Just so." He seemed resigned. "The thing will be done, but a girl must obey. man has no time for talk."

"A girl will obey," Arya said. "What should I do?"

and how many are the hungry gods fed? And would Jaqen have really killed himself? or was he going to kill Arya?

. "A goat has no loyaltySoon a wolf banner is raised hereI think. But first a man would hear a certain name unsaid."

"I take back the name." Arya chewed her lip. "Do I still have a third death?"

"A girl is greedy." Jaqen touched one of the dead guards and showed her his bloody fingers. "Here is three and there is four and eight more lie dead below. The debt is paid."

3, 4, and 8. Arya has him murder 15 people. What does this mean? So saving people is bad, and playing judge is bad, yet Jaqen lets Arya kill 15 people in the process of saving idk how many. So maybe the numbers balanced out in the end?

A Game of Thrones - Bran I

Bran had no answer for that. "King Robert has a headsman," he said, uncertainly.
"He does," his father admitted. "As did the Targaryen kings before him. Yet our way is the older way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.

So Arya is definitely in contradiction of the Starks ways (Eddard, Robb, and Jon hold true to this), yet some how earns the right (after being heard praying for men to die?) to become a faceless man. What does this mean for Arya, whom Jaqen calls evil and the Ghost of High Heart calls..

A Storm of Swords - Arya VIII

Cold fingers walked down Arya's neck. Fear cuts deeper than swords, she reminded herself. She stood and approached the fire warily, light on the balls of her feet, poised to flee.
The dwarf woman studied her with dim red eyes. "I see you," she whispered. "I see you, wolf child. Blood child. I thought it was the lord who smelled of death . . ." She began to sob, her little body shaking. "You are cruel to come to my hill, cruel. I gorged on grief at Summerhall, I need none of yours. Begone from here, dark heart. Begone!"

What is going on with Arya? She seem's to be going down a very evil path. Has Jaqen created a monster, or just found a good one to use? 

This is such a deep subject and can obviously delve much deeper into her time at the House of Black and White, but i wanted to start simple with her time with Jaqen and the basic contradictions that begin a girls dark path.

Let me know what you think, what else you think is important to this all or anything else.

3 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

So this is a look at Arya and the basic set up of her journey and the contradictions in it.

So he heard another man pray for the death of another, agreed to grant it, but the payment/sacrifice was to become a faceless man also.

So a girl prays, and a man hears.

This is after Arya has met and free'd Jaqen.

Arya meet's Jaqen

And free's Jaqen, but announces who she is to any one listening.

And people indeed heard her.

but this is where things get weird.

But Jaqen gave her that power

Why is she allowed to judge men now?

and Jaqen seems to not follow other rules to well either

Jaqen knows the people Arya wants killed. He's serving with them all and should know their names. Further, Arya is playing god at Jaqen's command, and killing people she knows.  Now granted, these men do not know who Arya and Jaqen really are, but the men Arya and Jaqen are killing are not under secret identities. So does this have more to do with how the glamours work?

And what is the punishment if any for this infraction

Yet he turn's around and Arya pulls this move

and how many are the hungry gods fed? And would Jaqen have really killed himself? or was he going to kill Arya?

3, 4, and 8. Arya has him murder 15 people. What does this mean? So saving people is bad, and playing judge is bad, yet Jaqen lets Arya kill 15 people in the process of saving idk how many. So maybe the numbers balanced out in the end?

So Arya is definitely in contradiction of the Starks ways (Eddard, Robb, and Jon hold true to this), yet some how earns the right (after being heard praying for men to die?) to become a faceless man. What does this mean for Arya, whom Jaqen calls evil and the Ghost of High Heart calls..

What is going on with Arya? She seem's to be going down a very evil path. Has Jaqen created a monster, or just found a good one to use? 

This is such a deep subject and can obviously delve much deeper into her time at the House of Black and White, but i wanted to start simple with her time with Jaqen and the basic contradictions that begin a girls dark path.

Let me know what you think, what else you think is important to this all or anything else.

Morally, it was self-defence to kill the guards at Harrenhall.

Arya was not evil by nature (very much the reverse).  Her experiences might make her evil.

Just now, SeanF said:

Morally, it was self-defence to kill the guards at Harrenhall.

Arya was not evil by nature (very much the reverse).  Her experiences might make her evil.

That wasn't self defense. She did that to free other people, then she stayed at the castle. At least i wouldn't call that self defense i guess. If they had attacked her and she killed them in the moment, then it's self defense. 

4 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

That wasn't self defense. She did that to free other people, then she stayed at the castle. At least i wouldn't call that self defense i guess. If they had attacked her and she killed them in the moment, then it's self defense. 

Self-defence would include the defence of her brother's Bannermen (although it turned out to be unnecessary).  Arya was imprisoned unjustly, beaten, and threatened with rape, by men who hard murdered innocent people.  She was entitled to seek their deaths,

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Self-defence would include the defence of her brother's Bannermen (although it turned out to be unnecessary).  Arya was imprisoned unjustly, beaten, and threatened with rape, by men who hard murdered innocent people.  She was entitled to seek their deaths,

A court of law may disagree with you

Edit- Sorry, In the U.s. at least that would not fall under self defense laws.

15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Bran had no answer for that. "King Robert has a headsman," he said, uncertainly.
"He does," his father admitted. "As did the Targaryen kings before him. Yet our way is the older way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.

The point is that over all, Arya is at contradiction with the Stark ways. Jaqen is her heads man, acting on her command. Soon, she will become the heads man acting on some one else's command.

1 minute ago, Tucu said:

Arya is a descendant of the Kings of Winter, hard men for a hard time. She is not a contradiction to the Starks ways, she is a good example of what "winter is coming" really means.

The point is that over all, Arya is at contradiction with the Stark ways. Jaqen is her heads man, acting on her command. Soon, she will become the heads man acting on some one else's command.

How is that not a contradiction of the Kings of Winter? Jon, Robb and Eddard all kill their own and dont use a head's man.

2 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

How is that not a contradiction of the Kings of Winter? Jon, Robb and Eddard all kill their own and dont use a head's man.

Arya is not in a position of making a grand gesture. She had to revert to older more drastic traditions: survival of the pack.

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate those who would truly do us harm. Septa Mordane is a good woman, and Sansa … Sansa is your sister. You may be as different as the sun and the moon, but the same blood flows through both your hearts. You need her, as she needs you … and I need both of you, gods help me."

A few dishonorable killings are not important as long as the pack survives.

Just now, Tucu said:

Arya is not in a position of making a grand gesture. She had to revert to older more drastic traditions: survival of the pack.

A few dishonorable killings are not important as long as the pack survives.

What's your basis for it being an older tradition to use some one else?

And what pack? The group of Starks who dont know her? Who she doesn't leave with? Who she doesnt trust with her name even though she should be hypothetically safe now with her pact?

1 minute ago, AlaskanSandman said:

What's your basis for it being an older tradition to use some one else?

And what pack? The group of Starks who dont know her? Who she doesn't leave with? Who she doesnt trust with her name even though she should be hypothetically safe now with her pact?

Using someone else is not the older tradition. Doing anything for the survival of the pack is. The imprisoned northmen were part of her pack at the point she made the choice. Just before making the deal with Jaqen she prays to the Old Gods:

Help me, you old gods, she prayed silently. Help me get those men out of the dungeon so we can kill Ser Amory, and bring me home to Winterfell. Make me a water dancer and a wolf and not afraid again, ever.

"so we can kill"...

2 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Using someone else is not the older tradition. Doing anything for the survival of the pack is. The imprisoned northmen were part of her pack at the point she made the choice. Just before making the deal with Jaqen she prays to the Old Gods:

Help me, you old gods, she prayed silently. Help me get those men out of the dungeon so we can kill Ser Amory, and bring me home to Winterfell. Make me a water dancer and a wolf and not afraid again, ever.

"so we can kill"...

"Those men" is not "my men" or "our men".. but maybe that's scwibbling. But again, she doesn't seem much to identify with the Stark men. Also, they dont' kill Ser Armory. Also her pack returns and she still doesn't trust them, leave with them, or tell them her name. 

And what would she have done if Jaqen had just shanked him self as it went against the deaths owed? Stood there stupid? And Jaqen knew it was going to be taken by the Starks, so why even do it, why not just tell Arya that Roose is coming? He smiled even when she made her twisted deal. He's repeatedly told her that it's over kill. He lets her make a dark choice she doesnt' have to make that goes against the Stark way and even the faceless men way, other than possibly their way of heranging people into their service.

What would have happened if she hadn't presented an alternate option and simply wanted Jaqen killed? Would Jaqen have killed her? Killed him  self? What then? Does it not seem like Jaqen is tricking her into going down this path?

So a little girl can choose any one she want's whether they are guilty or not? With no greater council but her own, and he will obey. Against the Stark way's, and you dont' think there is anything troubling about this?

And what about all those extra dead men???? Isn't the god of death angry? over happy? aren't the scales out of balance again? 

How many people died at the red wedding? Roose Bolton was involved and the Boltons are said to wear the flesh of their enemies which sounds like a faceless man thing to do. Plus i find it hard to believe that Arya and Jon are the only ones who look like a Stark, who look like Eddard, and Roose Bolton neverrrrr notices that Arya is a Stark. Yet at Harrenhal he switches sides and murders the Starks at the Red Wedding. Yet Roose spares this Stark looking girl who is obviously a northerner too, yet who goes against the Stark ways and becomes a faceless man in training..... Idk. Something doesn't add up to me. Looking at Arya like some helpless maid just doing what she has to seems a little off. Brienne went through a lot and never became so dark and become a faceless man. 

11 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

"Those men" is not "my men" or "our men".. but maybe that's scwibbling. But again, she doesn't seem much to identify with the Stark men. Also, they dont' kill Ser Armory. Also her pack returns and she still doesn't trust them, leave with them, or tell them her name. 

And what would she have done if Jaqen had just shanked him self as it went against the deaths owed? Stood there stupid? And Jaqen knew it was going to be taken by the Starks, so why even do it, why not just tell Arya that Roose is coming? He smiled even when she made her twisted deal. He's repeatedly told her that it's over kill. He lets her make a dark choice she doesnt' have to make that goes against the Stark way and even the faceless men way, other than possibly their way of heranging people into their service.

What would have happened if she hadn't presented an alternate option and simply wanted Jaqen killed? Would Jaqen have killed her? Killed him  self? What then? Does it not seem like Jaqen is tricking her into going down this path?

So a little girl can choose any one she want's whether they are guilty or not? With no greater council but her own, and he will obey. Against the Stark way's, and you dont' think there is anything troubling about this?

And what about all those extra dead men???? Isn't the god of death angry? over happy? aren't the scales out of balance again? 

How many people died at the red wedding? Roose Bolton was involved and the Boltons are said to wear the flesh of their enemies which sounds like a faceless man thing to do. Plus i find it hard to believe that Arya and Jon are the only ones who look like a Stark, who look like Eddard, and Roose Bolton neverrrrr notices that Arya is a Stark. Yet at Harrenhal he switches sides and murders the Starks at the Red Wedding. Yet Roose spares this Stark looking girl who is obviously a northerner too, yet who goes against the Stark ways and becomes a faceless man in training..... Idk. Something doesn't add up to me. Looking at Arya like some helpless maid just doing what she has to seems a little off. Brienne went through a lot and never became so dark and become a faceless man. 

At the point Arya makes her choice she sees that the group was lead by a Glover; Bolton arrives later.

“Vargo Hoat’s come back with prisoners. I saw their badges. There’s a Glover, from Deepwood Motte, he’s my father’s man. The rest too, mostly.” All of a sudden, Arya knew why her feet had brought her here. “You have to help me get them out.”

She thought of trusting Glover, but not Bolton. Sensible thinking.

The training that Arya receives from the Faceless Men is not much different than the training Bran gets. Bran awakes his powers in the darkness; Arya awakes her powers while blind. Bran is surrounded by bones; Arya is surrounded by corpses. Arya works for the god of death; Bran works for the hungry gods that feed on blood. Both are getting closer to the ways of the Kings of Winter.

16 minutes ago, Tucu said:

At the point Arya makes her choice she sees that the group was lead by a Glover; Bolton arrives later.

She thought of trusting Glover, but not Bolton. Sensible thinking.

The training that Arya receives from the Faceless Men is not much different than the training Bran gets. Bran awakes his powers in the darkness; Arya awakes her powers while blind. Bran is surrounded by bones; Arya is surrounded by corpses. Arya works for the god of death; Bran works for the hungry gods that feed on blood. Both are getting closer to the ways of the Kings of Winter.

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/152145-bloodraven-nights-king-and-last-hero-v2/

Check out Bloodraven's journey in accordance to all those legends. He has a corpse bride of sorts, he travels north of the wall in search of the children and their magic with the sword Dark Sister, he sacrifices children through the black gate (Bran, Meera, Jojen), and any child between him and Shiera would be born under a bleeding Star (Bloodraven/SeaStar). He was lord commander for 13 years and possibly the 995th lord commander (9+9-5=13). Melony was reborn amidst salt and smoke in Asshai as Melisander.

3 minutes ago, AlaskanSandman said:

@Tucu And none of that sounds bad?

Not necessarily. The powers of darkness and death do not have to mean evil. They could be used for survival. After all Jon tells Clydas:

"Winter is coming<...>Save as many as you can"

Archived