Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

United have a relatively young team tonight.  Shaw, Dalot, Rashford and Martial all start, plus Fred gets a start after being supplanted by Fellaini in recent games.  A minnow opponent has tempted Mourinho to open up the game plan give the fans what they want.  (Not that I'll be watching the game anyway).  If nothing else, it's a good chance to rest some older legs like Young, Valencia, Fellaini and Sanchez.

City bring Gundogan, Stones and Jesus into the starting XI tonight.  It seems like they could rotate more and still be comfortable against Lyon.

Mbabu really unfortunate with the penalty incident. The ball did hit his hand but it was from close range and he did try to get his hand out of the way rather than make a movement towards the ball. I know Pogba's run up for penalties is weird but his execution is great. Even his missed penalty vs Burnley was a great save rather than a poor penalty and the rest were smashed into the top corner. 

14 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Ronaldo in tears after getting a red card for... well, I’m not sure what he did looking at the replay. 

Just had a look at the replay. That is a shocking decision by the ref. UEFA have to overturn that. 

Biggest shock so far is Lyon two goals up against City. 

Nah, Crynaldo was pulling at his opponent hair, so no way that one gets overturned.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

City bring Gundogan, Stones and Jesus into the starting XI tonight.  It seems like they could rotate more and still be comfortable against Lyon.

You were saying?

26 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Mbabu really unfortunate with the penalty incident. The ball did hit his hand but it was from close range and he did try to get his hand out of the way rather than make a movement towards the ball. I know Pogba's run up for penalties is weird but his execution is great. Even his missed penalty vs Burnley was a great save rather than a poor penalty and the rest were smashed into the top corner. 

Haven’t seen it but it sounds a little like the one given against Naldo yesterday. Maybe there is some directive that any contact with the hand is a handball regardless of exonerating factors.

Very funny that Juventus get two penalties after Ronaldo has been sent off.

Brilliant work from Sanches in the build up and to score Bayern’s second. Hopefully it and the reception he has got from the home fans will give him a lift.

Worse. The Naldo one sucked for Schalke, but you could objectively see why it was given (arms not at the body).

The one against Mbabu, well, his arms were already close to his body and it was from a rather short distance.

43 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nah, Crynaldo was pulling at his opponent hair, so no way that one gets overturned.

You were saying?

Yeah, I just got out of a meeting and saw the score.  I was even more complacent than City.  I'm pretty surprised because Lyon have been poor in the league so far.

Edit: a goal and assist from Fekir, showing Liverpool what they passed up.

I don't think many people were expecting that.

I had City as fairly strong favourites to win the Champions League this year but that's not a particularly convincing start. Real Madrid, annoyingly, don't appear to have gone to pieces in the absence of Ronaldo and Zidane either.

Pretty comfortable win for us which was was expected. Martial improved after the break and had a good 2nd half, Pogba was class, Shaw continued his excellent start to the season and Dalot had a good debut. Glad we didn't pick up any injuries either playing on an artificial pitch. 

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

No disrespect to Lyon but if Liverpool without Firmino can comfortably outplay PSG then I expected City to cruise against Lyon, even if Jesus is playing instead of Aguero. 

I ain't see it, but I suspect that it's a combo of Lyon are really pretty good anyway and Lyon are far more used than PSG of playing teams that can challenge them, so they don't have that culture shock when the CL starts up.

13 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Did anyone watch the City game?  What happened to them?

No disrespect to Lyon but if Liverpool without Firmino can comfortably outplay PSG then I expected City to cruise against Lyon, even if Jesus is playing instead of Aguero.

I didn't watch the game but I'm watching the highlights right now. Looks like City shot themselves in the foot defensively - some really poor defensive play on both goals. 

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Pretty comfortable win for us which was was expected. Martial improved after the break and had a good 2nd half, Pogba was class, Shaw continued his excellent start to the season and Dalot had a good debut. Glad we didn't pick up any injuries either playing on an artificial pitch. 

Yup, good overall game from the team, which we hadn't been exactly used to. Usually we pull on a good half /50min only to bend ourselves in our 15 yards for the rest of the game. For once, we were quite positive and aggressive in our play for more than an hour of football, which is great.

Lukaku and Rashford are probably the only negative points from tonight. While the former did make good runs, created plenty of spaces and worked hard for the team, the latter just couldn't make any decision right. But that's not the 1st time we are disappointed from Rashford when playing RW. We desesperately need someone at RW, and he's only short term "solution".

And it has to be said: Chris Smalling is having a good season start. Albeit he only shown up against weak /average teams so far.

Glad to see Dalot making such a debut. Shaw and Lindelof solid too.

Archived