Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

City will obliterate Hoffenheim. 

Not my best prediction.  Well done to Hoffenheim but that's a shock result with the way Aguero has been playing.

EDIT: for some reason the ESPNFC.com result shows as 1-1 draw, but reading the match report shows that City grabbed a winner.  I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

Another terrible performance from Bayern. Lucky not to lose a second in a row. Meanwhile Akinfeev has been given a bizarre red in the dying minutes as CSKA lead Real. Booked for complaining to the ref about something, swore at him and given an immediate second yellow. Then refuses to leave the pitch.

Very poor result for Real Madrid. CSKA looked a bang average side last season from what I can recall. After a good start to the season, Lopetegui will be feeling the pressure now after three disappointing results - Real's board and fans aren't the most patient bunch. 

Our game against Valencia was rubbish and really not worth watching for the neutral. Both sides were poor. Lukaku looks knackered and could really use a rest. Rashford should never be allowed on set pieces as he is utterly useless at them. Don't understand how neither Fred nor Pereira can get into this midfield. This is why I wished we just let Fellaini leave - he's such a limited player but Mourinho will keep playing him because he's allergic to creativity and because Fellaini is a workhorse and tall. 

57 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

tbf, both pairings look equally fine on paper, at least for a neutral, maybe the Spurs game even a bit more so, thanks to the appeal of Barca.

No argument here.  Barca are a bigger marketing draw here, especially with Messi.  ESPN’s soccer marketing tends to rely on broad name recognition of star players, and they have no tie-in with NBC’s PL marketing.  So they usually select Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern or Juve for their games, with Juve now getting a boost with Ronaldo after declining slightly as Pirlo and Pogba departed.  Bayern are the least selected of the big four, and declining in the last year or two (previously the success of the German national team buoyed them).

Liverpool vs PSG was broadcast last time because it had the best available name recognition, mainly due to Neymar and Mbappe.

Sloppy so far and perhaps a bit fatigued (as I feared).  I hope Keita isn’t too badly injured. 

With Fabinho not yet up to speed, Ox a long term injury, and Lallana a recurring series of injuries (and a recurring series of pointless twirls when actually fit), our new MF depth is gone already. 

Lucky it’s only City at the weekend then. No problem with having a tired MF and misfiring front three against them. 

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Klopp waits far too long to make subs sometimes.

He's not going to change this,so we'll have to deal with it unfortunately.

Also,5 or 10 minutes left and he brings on Sturridge ffs.TAA was getting exposed so many times,everyone could see the Napoli goal was coming and he brings on a striker.

Alisson saved us again,it could easily have been 2-0 or more.

Salah looks shattered.Gomes the only other positive along with VVD.

Another assist for Jadon Sancho tonight. He has to be in the England squad tomorrow. Surprisingly for a winger, what stands out the most with him is his passing - like with the reverse ball for Larsen today. Also for a player of his experience he has good vision and is very selfless in not having a shot himself if a teammate is better placed.

I feel sorry for Gazza in dropping out for Lloris when he goes and puts in a performance like that. Spurs were luck that his second screw up somehow didn’t lead to a goal as well.

18 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I like Napoli though, and they were good value for their win. It's always nice to see a team of committed, hard-working (and skillful, of course) players.

Koulibaly is such an immense player. Allan out played our entire midfield as well. Hopefully PSG sweeps Napoli and Liverpool manage to get 6 pts from Red Star.

Archived