Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

Just now, AncalagonTheBlack said:

IMHO,we will never win anything with that midfield.

For sure. Gini/Milner/Hendo is about as average a midfield as it gets. Gotta hope Keita and Fabinho live up to their expectations and that Ox comes back strong next year :dunno: 

Just now, Mark Antony said:

For sure. Gini/Milner/Hendo is about as average a midfield as it gets. Gotta hope Keita and Fabinho live up to their expectations and that Ox comes back strong next year :dunno: 

Well,Keita has not been exactly lighting up the footy so far has he? Could be he and Fabinho would need a full season to settle down.Fingers crossed his injury is nothing major.

I also wish we had sold Lallana as he so injury prone.We might come to regret not buying Fekir when we had the chance.

I am an Inter supporter so I watched only the game vs PSV, but viewed the highlights afterwards however, what a football night.

A shame that one of Napoli, PSG and Liverpool must go home after groups. I have a soft spot for Liverpool so I hope they go through. Although tonight they obviously got outplayed by Napoli, at least from what I grasped from highlights and stats. 

Liverpool has a good opportunity to beat Red Star two games in a row while PSG/Napoli having a tough fight.

Disappointing to concede so late but we were second best and, unfortunately, continuing a decline over the past three games.  Albeit very tough games. 

With us beating PSG, Napoli beating us but also only drawing with Red Star, this is shaping up to be a group of death.  It could be very close between the top three.  Hopefully our forward line recovers some semblance of form, and our MF some energy and creativity, for the games against Red Star.  If we drop points to them then we’re facing the EL. 

Napoli at Anfield will be a different game, but first we need to learn a lesson from the past three games.  Two losses and a barely-saved draw is a big reversal in form. 

What a hell of a game Spurs v Barça was. Weird to think that Spurs might be on their road to EL at the moment.

Also awkward to figure that they could have conceded 6 yesterday, with Messi hitting the post twice... on similar situations for what it matters. Over the last seasons, Spurs were a reference when it comes to defensive abilities, but now they appear to concede much more chances. Vertonghen is still one of the very best CB in the league, but Alder appears to decline, Walker departed, and albeit they stil have plenty of quality FBs, Lloris sometimes has his moments of idiocy (where was he going on that Coutinho goal ? u_u)

But in total fairness, playing Barcelona without Dembele, Eriksen and Dele, was tough. Especially in a stadium which is not totally theirs. An issue is that this Wembley situation is gonna last for a few months again.

14 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

He's not going to change this,so we'll have to deal with it unfortunately.

Also,5 or 10 minutes left and he brings on Sturridge ffs.TAA was getting exposed so many times,everyone could see the Napoli goal was coming and he brings on a striker.

Alisson saved us again,it could easily have been 2-0 or more.

Salah looks shattered.Gomes the only other positive along with VVD.

To be honest, Gomez made some passes that looked too close to Napoli's strikers for comfort. Sure, they didn't intercept them so it's not that big a deal but it could've gone the other way relatively easily.

13 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Koulibaly is such an immense player. Allan out played our entire midfield as well. Hopefully PSG sweeps Napoli and Liverpool manage to get 6 pts from Red Star.

If Liverpool can't take 6 points off Crvena Zvezda they have no business in the Champions League. Their draw against Napoli was a sensation and it's not likely to repeat. Napoli could've won that match by a 4-5 goals margin and wouldn't be undeserving.

15 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Which side does Sancho play on?

I guess the issue for him is that England are kind of okay, forward-wise, with Hazza, Razza and... Rashford.

More than anything, England need creative midfielders at the moment, much like Liverpool. Just hopefully not horrible dickheads like Maddison though.

Mainly left but quite a bit on the right too. He doesn’t fit in well to the starting xi, but his best performances are generally later on in games anyway. If Southgate uses the World Cup system then I’d try bringing him on for Sterling with 20 to go.

Damn, I was lead to believe scousers are unbearably optimisitc. But this thread has been more or less constantly whining (mostly about winning). Ok, the Napoli game was really bad, the league game against Chelsea could've gone either way (and you didn't even lose that). But it's still pretty high level whining. I mean, you have no Mourinho situation.

Keita and Fabinho are playing their first EPL season, it usually takes some time to adapt. But Keita has been a really combatitive beast in his career thus far, and has adapted rather quick to new enviroments. So I wouldn't hit the panic buttom quite yet. As for Salah, he had a slower start last season, too. While his output is not on the same level it was during the second half of last season, it's also not that horrible. 3 goals at this point of the season is an okayish output. It's not brilliant, but it's also not horrible. Yes, maybe you should have bought Fekir, but then again, that would be another player needing to adjust to a new league, and that way you brought in Shaqiri as consolation prize. Who isn't that bad either, and who already knows the league.

And yes, I think City will win the next game, but then again, you also took quite a beating by them last year, too.

It's a home game for Liverpool though and City don't fare well at Anfield. Napoli played well and deserved the win but Liverpool players looked a bit off the pace as well. Highly doubt they put in another flat performance against City at home. 

@A Horse Named Stranger "whining" sounds over the top.  Most of the fans here are expressing a concern about an increasing dip from a strong form at the start of the season.  Aside from Soylent's crusade against Gini, there are no calls for heads to roll or self-flagellation.  The front three have been misfiring all season, and that will merit attention until they find their feet.  But no-one here has been slating Salah, and certainly nothing like the media attention on that.  Our workman-like midfield trio is sufficient when they have enough energy to press high and the front three can create their own chances from that, but with a drop in energy undermining the high press, our front three now look isolated in recent games as well as misfiring.  That's all fair game for concern, especially with no alternates currently available in MF.  Expectations for a new, improved MF after big additions have been confounded so far, and that's a bit frustrating.

Keita will undoubtedly improve, Fabinho will gradually come to grips with the system (like Ox last year), Ox will eventually return from injury, Lallana may or may not every make a significant contribution again.  No-one has been on TAA's back after two terrible games in a row.  Everyone knows Salah will improve again, and no-one really demands that he return to last season's level.  It's all pretty fair discussion.

The team was winning without getting out of second or third gear, but now the level dropped a little further and the opposition improved, and that was enough to flip the switch from wins to losses and draws.  There's one more really tough game ahead and then our nightmare run of fixtures eases off into a more typical flow of greater and lesser obstacles.

Juventus' statement could hardly have been worse. I'm not sure what they are trying to say but it sounds like - "It happened ten years ago, it doesn't matter," "he is professional on the pitch, that is all we care about" or "he is a great athlete and model professional, therefore he cannot have raped someone". 

Not that Arsenal has played tough competition but they've won 8 in a row in all competitions and have looked mostly terrible doing it. First time they've done this since 2007. Watch out Liverpool / City, Arsenal are coming for you.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

"whining" sounds over the top. 

Yeah, to be fair, Liverpool fans only whine when United are doing well so they've not had much cause to do that this season.

Interesting England squad. Mason Mount, James Maddison, Jadon Sancho and Nathaniel Chalobah all in, and a very young squad in general. While I applaud the intention, and I can't argue with Maddison and Sancho, Chalobah's an odd choice having hardly played this season and it's a bit harsh that Will Hughes hasn't got the shout.

5 hours ago, Philokles said:

Juventus' statement could hardly have been worse. I'm not sure what they are trying to say but it sounds like - "It happened ten years ago, it doesn't matter," "he is professional on the pitch, that is all we care about" or "he is a great athlete and model professional, therefore he cannot have raped someone". 

Very problematic tweets. Also, not surprising.

20 hours ago, Philokles said:

Yeah, they are really going to confirm him.

4 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Priorities, Isk! Can't your wife and son forge ahead whilst you drink and suffer the game!?!

If it was only a case of dereliction of duty as a father and husband then possibly, but kick-off is also two hours earlier for me now.  

Weather is nice in SF at least, and we managed to miss the demonstrations wracking Chicago.  It looks like the Man City bus incident back there.

You’ll have to rage at the TV for both of us.  Go easy on Gini, he’s better at Anfield. 

Archived