Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

Very impressive by Bournemouth so far this season, aside from a 4-0 drubbing by Burnley (who were previously awful) a few weeks past. 

Until now they have mostly beaten teams in poor form — West Ham, Cardiff, Leicester at the time, etc — but they’ve changed that story with a big win over a strong team. 

17 minutes ago, Philokles said:

Looks like Niko Kovac might be available to come in at Old Trafford shortly

Possibly, but then again, they still have the problem of finding a somewhat suitable replacement. The list of German speaking high(er) profile coaches is rather short.

Nagelsmann has agreed to join Leipzig next season, Heynckes is more or less happily retired. He might fill in again to finish the season, depending on how bad it looks (by Bayern standards). Tuchel is not on the verge of sacking at PSG (at leas tnot right now). Klopp's position at Liverpool also looks rather stable. Favre has just joined Dortmund this season.

Kohfeldt looks a bit too inexperienced and seems rather happy at Bremen. So that looks a bit like Kovac reloaded. The next best name that really comes to mind is really Wenger, and his rep has taken quite a hit during the past few years.

That great save from De Gea and stonewall handball not given came back to bite. This will just make it even funnier if the Mirror reports are true (almost  certainly not) and he will be sacked anyway. 

I'm glad for the result and that we showed a bit of fight in the 2nd half after a disgusting 1st half but I'm also worried that Woodward will stick with Mourinho after this win - partly in the forlorn hope that Mourinho can turn it around but primarily to avoid paying out a big severance unless he is absolutely forced to. We are only going to sink further into the shit the longer Mourinho stays. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Perhaps Rafa will land at Utd next.  He has been the Mourinho clean-up act at Inter and RM.  he did it too at Chelsea, but that wasn’t after a Mourinho collapse. 

I really hope not. I'm sick of Woodward talking about attacking football and the "United way" after each managerial appointment yet he keeps hiring pragmatic, defensive managers. 

ETA. And Real Madrid's poor run of form continues after a 1-0 loss away to Alavés. Lopetegui is going to be under sever pressure now.

Archived