Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

It's no coincidence that the Fekir gap in Liverpool's team right now is also a Coutinho gap.  Ox did well to add some attacking thrust to the MF for a while last season, but we still have not replaced our primary creator.  Salah's goals were enough to paper over that for a while.

Milner is out for a month with a hamstring strain, so I expect we'll see Fabinho get some starts.  We might even see TAA in midfield.

Don't think Liverpool need another creative player. Keita and Shaqiri will just have to step up. While Shaqiri isn't exactly a box-to-box midfielder, he is quite similar to Ox in many way when Ox first joined. He has impressed so far whenever he got the minutes.

Plus, whoever they get in January will take months to adapt, thereby negating their need by the time they are ready (cause Ox will be back and probably Lallana from his x-th injury :P).

The problem isn't that they don't have creative midfielders, it's just that the two creative ones are injured and Keita haven't fired so far. More minutes could do the trick. Hopefully. Worst case, switch to 4-2-3-1 for some games and play an additional forward.

I think there’s a reason we nearly signed Fekir after already having Keita. Keita is capable of linking the attack and midfield but he seems like your more typical box to box than a creative #10. Ox is missed but not sure Lallana will ever be relied upon to contribute again (hopefully wrong about that). I did like Shaqiri in that role vs Southampton. Hopefully Klopp does it more often  

One attacking mid I had my eye on as a Fekir alternative was Lucas Paqueta. Hard working creative Brazilian mid who made his first cap for them last international break but he’s off to Milan. 

15 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I think there’s a reason we nearly signed Fekir after already having Keita. Keita is capable of linking the attack and midfield but he seems like your more typical box to box than a creative #10. Ox is missed but not sure Lallana will ever be relied upon to contribute again (hopefully wrong about that). I did like Shaqiri in that role vs Southampton. Hopefully Klopp does it more often  

One attacking mid I had my eye on as a Fekir alternative was Lucas Paqueta. Hard working creative Brazilian mid who made his first cap for them last international break but he’s off to Milan.

I think that need was sated by getting Shaqiri (much to my dismay, i would've preferred waiting and getting Fekir). I don't think Fekir was earmarked for midfield. He was going to be what Shaqiri is, a wide striker, who could play 10 if system needed changing. Probably suited to replace Firmino as well.

Since it’s a slow week for the international break, the following eleven Utd players all have contracts expiring at the end of this season, although five have a one-year extension option for the club:

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

What do you think?  Time to let players like Young, Valencia, Mata, Herrera, Smalling and Jones move on and rebuild the squad?   I’m pretty sure Shaw gets offered a new contract, DDG gets extended and offered a new contract, Darmian definitely gets released, Martial and Pereira get extended. 

It could be an expensive summer next year for Utd to replace that many senior players.  But they’re used to spending vast sums. 

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

What do you think?  Time to let players like Young, Valencia, Mata, Herrera, Smalling and Jones move on and rebuild the squad?   I’m pretty sure Shaw gets offered a new contract, DDG gets extended and offered a new contract, Darmian definitely gets released, Martial and Pereira get extended.

No chance: as I know us, we are gonna raise Young, Smalling and Jones. Not sure what Martial & Pereira are gonna do considering their small playing time. Should Mourinho stay, I'm not even sure they'll trigger their one year extension. Shaw has to renew but again I have doubts.

As for the others, I care little.

Considering how crucial DDG has been for us in recent years we are definitely gonna offer him a new contract, it would be so dumb to see him leave for free. Especially when looking how much goalkeepers cost nowadays...

13 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Since it’s a slow week for the international break, the following eleven Utd players all have contracts expiring at the end of this season, although five have a one-year extension option for the club:

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

It could be an expensive summer next year for Utd to replace that many senior players.  But they’re used to spending vast sums. 

Out of those, the only ones that concern me are De Gea and Martial and to a lesser extent Pereira. I'm confident Shaw will renew - he confirmed that he rejected an offer from another club (rumour is from Everton) and in several interviews has stated his desire to make it at United. Smalling will renew as well - lets be honest, no club with the stature of United would sign him and he gets plenty of game time here as well. Herrera is 50-50 because rumour has it that Bilbao want him back so he could opt to rejoin his boyhood club.

Jones and Darmian can leave and it wouldn't be any loss. Both can easily be replaced by academy players - Fosu-Mensah for Darmian and Tuanzebe for Jones - and it would not weaken the squad at all. Whether or not the likes of Mata, Valencia and Young renew, I'd be okay either way. All three need to be replaced soon anyway. We are currently in talks with the representatives of Mata, Young, Shaw and Herrera though.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

My predictions (based on nearly nothing).

Young will leave the club.

Valencia, United will trigger the clause and keep him for one more year. He is a reliable player, so why not get one more season out of him.

Mata will probably leave. Mourinho has never been that fond of him (and vice versa), if I am not mistaken.

Herrera is now in the perfect Mourinho signing age. So my guess is they will try to extend his contract.

Darmian, no idea. I think United will let him leave.

Smalling will sign an extension. He has not performed that badly for United, and I don't think he can land an equally lucrative contract at a club of a similar size.

de Gea either they'll trigger the option on his contract or he will sign a new one straight away. With his Real dream gone, where'd he go? I can see him holding out on an extension to test his market value and strengthen his negotiating position for next year though.

Jones I'd say he will sign a new contract at United.

Shaw will sign a new contract there.

Martial: United will pull the trigger on the extension clause. Either to sell him then, or for a new manager to work with him.

Pereira United will at the very least trigger the extension clause.

Liverpool have the following approaching contract expiries:

2019: Moreno, Milner, Sturridge, Markovic.

Presumably Milner gets offered an extension of 1-2 years, and Sturridge possibly gets an extension depending on how this year goes.  Moreno and Markovic get released, but we need to find a back-up LB next summer.  (We have a decent youth player at LB)

2020: Lallana, Matip, Clyne, Origi

All of these look questionable.  We should be developing a new back-up RB instead of Clyne.  Origi probably gets sold next summer for whatever we can get.  Matip will be only 29 in summer 2020 and could be retained as a back-up CB for another year or two.  Lallana will be 32 then, and with a long series of injuries behind him.

Fun game :)

2019, we have Stekelenburg, Baines, Jagielka on outgoing contracts, in addition to loan signings Zouma and Andre Gomes.

Should I guess, Stekelenburg is gone. He's very good when he's good, but he's unstable, probably too expensive and not getting younger. Baines seems to be losing his place to Digne, which doesn't bode well, but we have no cover. Unless someone steps up, or is bought, we'll probably extend. Jags .. I think he's gone. He may get an extension, but he would effectively be fourth choice by then, I think (behind Mina, Keane and Holgate). 

Would keep Zouma if we can, Andre Gomes is still injured.

Chelsea players out of contract at the end of the season:

Cesc Fabregas: Up until his comments last week, stating how much he is enjoying working with Sarri and that he is open to signing a new deal, I thought that Fabregas leaving at the end of the season seemed the best option for both parties. Chelsea have got their money's worth out of him, and he has very little re-sell value now that he is predominately a bench player, who is into his 30's. He seems content with his role, even if he isn't playing as much. He could sign for another year.

David Luiz: He admits that if Conte had stayed, he probably would have left the club in the summer window. Sarri has come in, restored him to the starting XI, and, so far, he is playing very well. Being first choice alongside Rudiger certainly strengthens his chances of getting a new deal.

Gary Cahill: The club captain can't get into the first XI. There is talk of him leaving in the January window. That would disappoint me. I don't like seeing players that have given a lot for the club slip out in the January window. It happened with Ivanovic a couple of seasons ago. I suppose these players want to play, but it would seem more fitting for someone who has achieved as much as the club captain has to leave at the end of the season, rather than the January window.

Olivier Giroud: At the moment, despite not having scored this season, he is still first choice striker. Morata has three goals in all competitions, but Giroud brings more to the team when he plays. It looks like Hazard enjoys playing with Giroud, as he can hold off defenders to give Hazard space to run into. Giroud has already chipped in with four assists this season. On current form, he should be offered a one year extension.

Willy Caballero & Robert Green: Cabellero has only featured in the League Cup, while Green hasn't played at all. They are both 37 and 38, respectively - if they are happy enough in their roles, they may well be offered another year. We still have Eduardo on our books, who is featuring regularly on loan at Vitesse.

Lucas Piazon: With no loan move for him in the summer, he is at Chelsea, at least until January. Would not surprise me if Chelsea renewed his contract, just so that they wouldn't lose out on making a profit from him.

If Woodward hires either Big Sam or Pardew (or Pulis for that matter) then all the players except the workhorses (Fellaini, Valencia, Young, Herrera, McTominay) will be better off leaving.

Anyway, Mourinho is still the manager and there has been no indication that Woodward is even considering sacking him. It wouldn't surprise me if Woodward waits until it becomes mathematically impossible for us to qualify for the CL. Similar to Moyes, there is probably a clause in Mourinho's contract that reduces his severance pay for failing to qualify for the CL. Moyes was sacked as soon as we were no longer able to finish in the top 4 and we ended up paying a severance equivalent to 1 years salary even though he had more than 5 years remaining on his contract.

16 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

You can still do hypotheticals though - do Big Sam and Alan Pardew! Who stays and who goes if it's one of them!?!

If it'S them. My guess, our local United boarders - on suicide watch.

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Anyway, Mourinho is still the manager and there has been no indication that Woodward is even considering sacking him. It wouldn't surprise me if Woodward waits until it becomes mathematically impossible for us to qualify for the CL. Similar to Moyes, there is probably a clause in Mourinho's contract that reduces his severance pay for failing to qualify for the CL. Moyes was sacked as soon as we were no longer able to finish in the top 4 and we ended up paying a severance equivalent to 1 years salary even though he had more than 5 years remaining on his contract.

My guess is that since they don't have a replacement lined up, they'll have to keep Mourinho around for the majority of this season. Wait until CL qualification is impossible (or whatever contractual box needs to be ticked to mitigate their losses), then sack him and install a caretaker manager. None of the big names (Zidane aside) are available so United are not going to be able to find a replacement until the offseason, unless they go completely rogue.

EDIT: The other option is to install a Director of Football above Mourinho and tempt him to resign. But if his lawyer was any good, Mourinho's contract probably stipulates control over transfers or something that prevents personnel changes in the hierarchy.

6 hours ago, Jeor said:

My guess is that since they don't have a replacement lined up, they'll have to keep Mourinho around for the majority of this season. Wait until CL qualification is impossible (or whatever contractual box needs to be ticked to mitigate their losses), then sack him and install a caretaker manager. None of the big names (Zidane aside) are available so United are not going to be able to find a replacement until the offseason, unless they go completely rogue.

Zidane, Conte and Jardim are all free agents at the moment. The available managers landscape isn't going to be much better at the end of the season than it is now. Maybe the likes of Lopetegui, Kovac and Valverde might be available come the end of the season. Poch is near impossible for us to get regardless - he probably ends up at Real Madrid anyway should Lopetegui get sacked. Sarri, Guardiola and Klopp will not leave their current clubs just yet. Slim chance that Allegri could become available should Juve opt to bring in Zidane although I think Allegri will see out his contract.

EDIT: The other option is to install a Director of Football above Mourinho and tempt him to resign. But if his lawyer was any good, Mourinho's contract probably stipulates control over transfers or something that prevents personnel changes in the hierarchy.

There have been reports saying that United are currently working on overhauling the football structure and are planning to put in place a full technical staff rather than just a director of football. 

ETA. and Mourinho won't resign no matter how much Woodward pisses him off as that would mean leaving millions of pounds on the table. 

Mourinho self destructing at Chelsea to an even greater extent than Conte didn't stop Woodward from appointing him.

ETA. Jardim doesn't fit the profile of manager that Woodward would go for and he is more of a risk than Conte but I think he does fit the longer term vision that Woodward keeps going on about i.e. an attacking style of play and integrating youth. Woodward has also mentioned that United will not go on spending huge amounts in the transfer window season after season. Jardim is a manager used to working under constraints and isn't going to make a fuss about transfers. He would be much happier with the situation at United anyway since he will still have a much bigger budget to work with and we generally hold on to our best players.

Archived