Football: Remain in Europe

Iskaral Pust

7 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Very bitty from Liverpool. A strange performance really; I don't think you could point to any one player having a bad game, but it just didn't really work on the pitch.

Oh well, three points is three points, and at least a few players got some rest before Wednesday's game.

Didn't Mourinho teams win titles playing and winning in this manner? :laugh::P

Our form and fitness has been declining slowly but steadily since the opening day. I’m glad we managed the win and clean sheet, but we are very far behind City.  Chelsea are playing better than us too, and Arsenal are scoring more easily than us.  We look a bit like Spurs: a bit disjoint and nowhere near our previous best, but still accumulating points. 

I hope it gets better soon.  The schedule of PL and CL games, plus internationals, will leave players exhausted and no time for coaching, so I’m not sure when or how it will get better. 

The most optimistic possible view here is that this our slump in form that has to happen sometime in a season, and we’ve still managed a very efficient haul of points.  Later when we click back into form we’ll be very glad we were so efficient now. 

Fabinho and Keita haven’t added much yet, and Shaqiri only in 1.5 games.  We haven’t seen much instant impact from our MF strengthening yet (more like Fred than Jorginho so far), but hopefully it will start to gel soon. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I only saw quick highlights but was Kompany fortunate to get only a yellow for his high studs tackle when the game was still 0-0?  Perhaps the replay made it seem worse than it was.

No, I think he was very lucky. That's a dangerous challenge, probably should be red. The second goal is dubious as well.

A red wouldn't have been unreasonable for Kompany. Advancing age combined with less game time, he is looking clumsy, especially early in games. He only had eyes for the ball but that's not really a defence. Players do have a responsibility to be aware of anyone nearby.

The second goal was a strange case. Dyche can have a nasty go at Leroy all he wants but why on earth would he just fall over as he's pulling the trigger and why did everyone on the pitch stop to watch the ref in expectation of a pen being given? Looked a clear pen to me. The ball did go out (just) but that was after the penalty claim.

This is a good article on The Ringer about how, despite how close the table looks, it really doesn't looks great for every team at the top who aren't Manchester City's chances of winning the title. 

I can't say I disagree unfortunately. The first time in a decade Liverpool have assembled a squad that looks like it should be a title contending side (in a normal Premier League season) and Guardiola has put together an all time great team at City, ffs. :frown5:

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

This is a good article on The Ringer about how, despite how close the table looks, it really doesn't looks great for every team at the top who aren't Manchester City's chances of winning the title. 

I can't say I disagree unfortunately. The first time in a decade Liverpool have assembled a squad that looks like it should be a title contending side (in a normal Premier League season) and Guardiola has put together an all time great team at City, ffs. :frown5:

Can’t argue with anything in that article, and I think we all new knew it.  City are unlikely to collapse suddenly because they are so much deeper as squad and ingrained in this style than two years ago. 

It’s very unfortunate for Klopp that a large chunk of his managerial career at plausible contenders has been opposite heavily funded Guardiola juggernauts. 

That was a slog. 

Fortunately, our young guns suddenly clicked at the end there, with Lookman producing an excellent cross, and DCL converting. We're still struggling to create too much, especially against defensive minded teams, but we stuck at it, fortunately.

Palace looked sad. Zaha is very good, Wan-Bissaka looked good again, but the rest look a sorry bunch atm. 

Just now, Rorshach said:

That was a slog. 

Fortunately, our young guns suddenly clicked at the end there, with Lookman producing an excellent cross, and DCL converting. We're still struggling to create too much, especially against defensive minded teams, but we stuck at it, fortunately.

Palace looked sad. Zaha is very good, Wan-Bissaka looked good again, but the rest look a sorry bunch atm. 

Palace hit the bar and had a penalty saved before conceding twice very late, the second when they were overloaded on attack to desperately rescue a point.  

Palace do look a sorry bunch atm but they could have taken the points today.  Fine margins sometimes. 

Sure they could. Always possible to lose, for us as well. Can't really say they looked good, though. 

Note I didn't say they created nothing, I said they looked sad. Which I'll stand by, even if they create two good chances. 

So what about Newcastle?  We all know that Rafa has been let down by Ashley, but two points from nine games looks bad, and playing every game just trying to get a 0-0 draw looks even worse. 

They’ve lost to Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Leicester, United and Brighton.  Draws with Cardiff and Palace.  Only Leicester beat them by more than one goal (although Forest also beat them 3-1 in the LC, but we’ll put that aside). 

On paper, they’ve had a really tough opening schedule and they’ve only lost to strong teams, and Brighton who have been pretty good this season.  And they were a touch unfortunate to concede late winning goals in some of those games.

They’re definitely limiting opponents’ attacks with their defensive shell, but they’re also not creating much.  It looks like a war of attrition that they’ll lose slowly but steadily, unless they plan to change tack in games against outside the top 6.

Will they start playing to win?  Will fans keep patience with Rafa?  Will Ashley suddenly make funds in January if PL survival is at risk, or can he rely on any future buyer being confident of getting back to the PL when they’re ready?

Their next four games are Southampton, Watford, Bournemouth and Burnley.  They need at least four points from those, and realistically 6-8, if they want to get on track for survival.

Newcastle have had a very difficult run of fixtures to start the season so I wouldn't put it past Rafa turning things around and keeping them up again (they went through a worse run last season picking up no points in 9 games) but it's going to be an uphill battle. The big problem for Newcastle is that Rafa has had to sell before he could buy which has resulted in them having very little depth and the injuries to Rondon and Lejeune have been major blows to an already thin squad. 

Archived