Who Should Have Married Who?

Lady Barbrey

This topic is just for fun but I wondered out of the old guard, who should really have married who around the time of the Tourney of Harrenhal when Ned was young and Rhaegar was looking for a second bride (I think) and Jaime wasn't so scarred and Cersei hadn't been soured, etc.  There aren't really enough women to go around, but here are  few of my picks, with qualifications of course!

Jaime Lannister and Lyanna Stark: they both hate bullies, love riding, value honour and are kind to (or at least close to, in Lyanna's case) their younger brothers. Lyanna would never have to worry about fidelity as Jaime has proved himself a one woman man. If Cersei wasn't in the picture, I think this would have been a perfect match.

Ned Stark and Caitlin Tully: they proved it.

Littlefinger and Lyza Tully: so he can murder her again; she's a hateful person no matter her trauma

Cersei Lannister and Bronn: I wracked my brains on this one and he's the only one I could think of that could handle her. She schemes, he calls bullshit on the bad plans but the perfect friend and henchman for the good ones.  He's loyal but never to a fault.  She has money and he wants to rise in the world.  She's beautiful, he's sexy despite the bad clothes and hair.  I quite like it.

Rhaegar Targaryan and Ashara Dayne: I actually think he was going to marry her as his second wife until he discovered at Harrenhal that Brandon had seduced her.  She's the perfect, least inoffensive choice all round if he needed that third child.  Lady in waiting to Elia and possibly her friend, his best friend's sister, beautiful, illustrious name, impeccable bloodline, and above all she's Dornish so the Dornish won't be up in arms, at least too much, if he marries her in addition to Elia.

Brandon Stark and Barbrey Ryswell, he took her virginity, she knew he wouldn't be faithful, but wanted him anyway.  Welcome to him.

I can think of a few more, but hopefully others will weigh in.

Rhaegar Targaryen can't marry a second time.  Not while Princess Elia is still alive.  I won't say that was not his intention.  But he is powerless to do that and make it legal.  The best he can do, wait to inherit the throne and then change the laws.  But that never happened.  He never got so much as a sneezed-snot's close to the throne because Aerys chose Viserys as his heir.

Jaime is the best choice for Cersei.  They're both narcissistic and made for each other.  

Robert should marry somebody with low self-esteem.  Somebody who would tolerate his fooling around and take it with a smile.  Brandon should do the same.   Robert and Brandon are alike.   Surely they can find a woman who would be content with the trappings of wealth even if the husband is unfaithful.  Shae.  Or someone like Shae.

The old guard married who they married for reasons.  Some turned out good but mostly they were bad.  Ned and Cat were ok as a couple.  Rhaegar and Ellia were ok until he embarrassed her at Harrenhal.  That was a chess game between fire and ice.  Rhaegar was cock blocking Robert for political reasons.  So maybe he screwed Lyanna later and produced a bastard.  That accomplishes the same thing.  Even better because a lady having a bastard drops down her perceived value.  

Brandon and Cat would never work out.  His womanizing ways would not be welcome.  I can't understand any woman being happy with Brandon.  Barbrey romanticized the night she lost her hymen but she should actually give it some thought.  Brandon would never be loyal and she would be miserable.  

9 hours ago, Sierra Esteban said:

Robert should marry somebody with low self-esteem.  Somebody who would tolerate his fooling around and take it with a smile.  Brandon should do the same.   Robert and Brandon are alike.   Surely they can find a woman who would be content with the trappings of wealth even if the husband is unfaithful.  Shae.  Or someone like Shae.

Hate to say it but when you wrote 'surely they can find a woman who would be content with the trappings of wealth even if the husband is unfaithful', I immediately thought 'Melania',  lol.  So yes, there surely would be someone like that in a place like Westeros.

3 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Robert Arryn and Arianne Martell. Both the Vale and Dorne have stayed out of the wars and have fresh armies and food sources. Plus Arianne has magical teats that Strong Robin would very much appreciate as we see with him trying to nuzzle at Sansa because he's not fully weaned off mother's milk

Magical teats?  I need an explanation, I must have missed something.  And thank you for bringing back to my mind's eye one of the more disturbing scenes of the series. Ugh.  But really, what's up with magical teats?

17 minutes ago, Lady Barbrey said:

Hate to say it but when you wrote 'surely they can find a woman who would be content with the trappings of wealth even if the husband is unfaithful', I immediately thought 'Melania',  lol.  So yes, there surely would be someone like that in a place like Westeros.

The list of women who would exchange romance for security is going to be long.  Many will put up with an unfaithful husband for financial security.  A lord like Robert could have his pick.  It's sad but true.

4 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Robert Arryn and Arianne Martell. Both the Vale and Dorne have stayed out of the wars and have fresh armies and food sources. Plus Arianne has magical teats that Strong Robin would very much appreciate as we see with him trying to nuzzle at Sansa because he's not fully weaned off mother's milk

Wrong generation.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, nickdt said:

Robert should have married a Dornish, then they both would have shared the women Robert slept with, so there wasn't an issue there. 

Yeah!

This is a legitimate idea and it isn't like Robert's dad could say no but the bad history between Dorne and Stormlands might get in the way.

Oh, we could have some fun:

• Lyanna Stark / Oberyn Martell - I think they'd enjoy each other's company....
  • Robert Baratheon / Selyse Florent :devil: (or Ellaria Sand if he'd take a bastard...)
  • Stannis Baratheon / Elia Martell (much better for her frail health...)
  • Cersei / Jaime -  why not? Saves others suffering :D
  • Littlefinger and Lysa - if Hoster had seen sense he could have prevented Sweetrobin ever occurring
  • Howland Reed / Ashara Dayne ;););)
  • Jon Arryn - Wylla ...

1 hour ago, Rufus Snow said:

Lyanna Stark / Oberyn Martell - I think they'd enjoy each other's company.

Wouldn't Lyanna have the same concerns about a marriage to Oberyn she had about her match to Robert? Both of them seems to think that monogamy is some that happens to other people.

55 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

This one borders on fanfic. 

Nope, No matter what certan Dornishmen might think on this forum fanfiction is defined as a written story with literary narrative.

Speculation about how things might have turned out differently is fine by the rules of the forum as long as nobodies starts writing actual fanfiction with dialogues, character or what-nots,.

The way the word fanfiction is thrown about on this forum to shut down descustions that are totally fine by the rules really bothers me as it isn't anything but intellectual bullying. Taking that logic to it's extrem any sort of theory thread or alternative character interpretation could be argued to be fanfiction and thus removed.

15 hours ago, Rufus Snow said:

Oh, we could have some fun:

• Lyanna Stark / Oberyn Martell - I think they'd enjoy each other's company....
  • Robert Baratheon / Selyse Florent :devil: (or Ellaria Sand if he'd take a bastard...)
  • Stannis Baratheon / Elia Martell (much better for her frail health...)
  • Cersei / Jaime -  why not? Saves others suffering :D
  • Littlefinger and Lysa - if Hoster had seen sense he could have prevented Sweetrobin ever occurring
  • Howland Reed / Ashara Dayne ;););)
  • Jon Arryn - Wylla ...

I don't think Lyanna would have been so keen marrying Oberyn knowing his history, so i would Switch Oberyn with Howland. 

Archived